Author Topic: I thought KIPASS stranded me today, but I was wrong  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Freddy

Re: KIPASS stranded me today
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2020, 04:52:36 PM »
All's well that ends well.   :chugbeer:
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2020, 06:58:15 PM »
I had installed the slighly taller Yuasa and it stretched the negative cable. It created a stress point at the corner of the frame and the wire cracked right at the eye that bolts to the frame. Not at the battery. It came down to my bad installation job..
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2020, 09:03:21 PM »
 :thumbs:  At least you didn't lose your marbles. 
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline PH14

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 10:19:25 AM »
Glad it's fixed and it wasn't anything major.  :chugbeer:

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 04:52:06 PM »
Yeah, and at least there was another chance to blame KiPass.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

Glad it's fixed and it wasn't anything major.  :chugbeer:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 07:18:22 PM »
I have admitted blame for this fiasco. But I blame KIPAAS as guilty of misleading error messages. If KIPAAS was any good at all it would say "Check Your Damn Batt Connections" instead of "Immobilzer Error"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2020, 07:26:46 PM »
True enough Bob. Hey, remember the good ole' days when KiPass could maintain a 'discussion' (OK, an armored assault and repulsion  ;D) all by itself? These days it has almost died as a topic of interest, kinda' like that no- good fuel injection and that awful electronic ignition of the 70's and 80's.

That said, I am still getting queries about the bypass and stories about sticking activation switches. Though these days I get a lot of inquiries about my bypass eliminating the need for a fob at all- now that the bike is an older model, they are turning up w/out any fobs as good deals to the unsuspecting. And still, after all these years, there is no quick 'n easy (read: cheap) way around a fob- free C-14; even the proposed work-arounds that <may> work are expensive. Though C-14's are now showing up in wrecking yards so at least there is some number of ECU's and fob combinations available at a reduced cost.

And much to my surprise, Kawasaki is listing both the ZX 14 and C-14 as 2021 models, at least in the US! Decent color on the new C-14's too....... hmmmmmmm.

Brian

I have admitted blame for this fiasco. But I blame KIPAAS as guilty of misleading error messages. If KIPAAS was any good at all it would say "Check Your Damn Batt Connections" instead of "Immobilzer Error"
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2020, 07:52:00 AM »
Hey Brian-- your bypass switch solution has saved me but I have not had the time to pull out the ignition switch to fix it yet. Since I'm using it constantly, what would you recommend as an actual switch I can install inline rather than removing/inserting the fuse? And how to install, ie which wires to use/cut?

Thanks,
Robert

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2020, 09:44:13 AM »

...or
Quote from: Lather's KIPASS
"Check your tire for 1/4" socket extension before it pokes through"
. (sorry Bob  ;D .... well, a little bit sorry. :deadhorse:)

.....so you were stranded about 220 miles away did you get to continue on to the RRG Rally*  :)..... or did you just turn around and head for home?  :(

(* I looked through the photos and didn't see any C14s, nor you.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 01:04:59 PM by fartymarty »

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2020, 10:22:30 AM »
A switch would replace the fuse, so use those two wires that currently (small pun intended) go to the fuse to install a switch.

I think it is a bad idea though; it is a failing switch that causes the problem in the first place and adding another switch into the mix is two steps in the wrong direction. That is why I use a fuse in the first place, a greased fuse inside a waterproof enclosure is virtually fail- safe. A switch will absolutely fail, speaking statistically here, sooner or later. And if a switch in the bypass harness fails, you will be in even worse shape than not even having the bypass in the first place- the bike will be just as dead and stuck but you will have no way to diagnose it other than removing the harness entirely.

A lot of careful thought went into that harness and trust me, the fuse is not used as any kind of shortcut or in an effort to make the harness less expensive. The very best materials and components (some are OEM but the wire and terminal crimping / sealing are superior to OEM) are used to prevent failures, not to be easy to build or as inexpensive as possible.

As far as fixing the original, if you have a good Kawasaki dealer within reach, it would be worth contacting them about this issue. They have been repairing these, at least in some instances, even on bikes long out of warranty. This problem is due to a bad design and a cheaply made switch in the first place so it is Kawasaki's problem and they have been quite good about taking care of them as they crop up.

Brian

Hey Brian-- your bypass switch solution has saved me but I have not had the time to pull out the ignition switch to fix it yet. Since I'm using it constantly, what would you recommend as an actual switch I can install inline rather than removing/inserting the fuse? And how to install, ie which wires to use/cut?

Thanks,
Robert

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2020, 12:02:07 PM »
The bike is fixed. Big thanks to Lost River Powersports in Bowling Green and to AMA Rodaside assistance and Clays Auto Body and Towing. Lost River is a big multi brand dealer and they moved me ahead of 91 jobs to get me back on the road.

The problem was a bad positive connection that I missed. I admit I am a lousy wrench! But when I saw that broken negative I was sure that was the problem. Plus it was hot, i was dehydrated and distracted by a bunch of nice folks trying to help. I was in an awkward position in the only available shade between to fuel pump lanes. Thanks to all who gave advice. The service manager asked me before they went to work If I had researched online on a forum and I told him the consensus was a bad batt or bad connection.
That's a bit of a haul from Russelville to Bowling Green.  Lost River used to be Mike's Powersports or something like that.  Glad they got you fixed up.  Polaris Dealer next door is new from when I lived up there.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2020, 02:12:04 PM »
...or . (sorry Bob  ;D .... well, a little bit sorry. :deadhorse:)

.....so you were stranded about 220 miles away did you get to continue on to the RRG Rally*  :)..... or did you just turn around and head for home?  :(

(* I looked through the photos and didn't see any C14s, nor you.)
It would have been mostly over by the time I got to Mt. Sterling. I might have continued on to the rally except I had already rented a car to drive home. The shop was super busy when I dropped it off Friday and the service manager was not making any promises. Not a lot of car rental agencies in Bowling Green and they all had shortened Covid hours. I figured I better grab a car while I could or id be cooling my heels all day Sunday and Monday.
By the time I had the bike back the rental place was closed so I figured I had to wait until 9:00 Sunday morning to turn in the car. I later found out they had a drop box for keys.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2020, 02:39:39 PM »
So now I am planning to build a 1 inch longer battery negative cable. The automotive cable is working fine but it is way too long
AS I said above the slightly larger higher capacity Yuasa was stretching the oem cable and causing a stress point at the terminal and the break. I found an online awg chart and it says cable size is 2 AWG. But looking at cable pictures at online stores that look the same size, these say 4 AWG. Does anyone know for sure? I put a caliper on the wire and get .25" and the AWG chart says 2 AWG is .2576"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2020, 01:21:51 PM »
I still think hitting it is the correct response..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2020, 03:19:05 PM »
 ::)

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2020, 01:21:51 AM »
Perhaps you should change the title of this thread to "KIPASS didn't strand me today" or "My own incompetence stranded me today"?  :rotflmao:
We all do it, but it's such fun laughing when it's someone else for a change.  :chugbeer:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2020, 02:19:35 AM »
Let us review: you traded in a supersport tourer for a cruz- ah.  :o  You often mention that 'your brane hurts'. And now you say you like beating on delicate electro- mechanical devices with a rock..... I think it all adds up.

;) ;D

Brian (the inventor of the 'non- rock' solution that many, though obviously not all, seem to prefer)

I still think hitting it is the correct response..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: I thought KIPASS stranded me today, but I was wrong
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2020, 07:40:46 AM »
You got that right!  LOL
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.