Author Topic: Gage lights stay on  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Stu57

Gage lights stay on
« on: February 27, 2019, 06:48:21 AM »
New to the group so if this is an old subject I didn't find it. I have a 2014 c14. The Speedo and tach lights remain on after the key is off causing a slow battery draw. I have checked power ground and kipass input to the cluster. I have also researched the service manual for what activates the lights to no avail. Any help will be appreciated

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Gage lights stay on
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 10:53:02 AM »
That should not be the case. My first thought is that there is a bad (stuck) relay somewhere causing this; the power to the relay is stopped but because the relay itself is stuck, some items remain powered up. If you have the schematic (the back of the service manual, or there are some PDF versions floating around) you should be able to find where the gauge lights gets power and find the relay in that circuit. All relays on a C-14 are plug- in so not much effort to change them, other than possibly getting to them.

Let us know how this works out for you. I have not heard of this problem before.

Brian

New to the group so if this is an old subject I didn't find it. I have a 2014 c14. The Speedo and tach lights remain on after the key is off causing a slow battery draw. I have checked power ground and kipass input to the cluster. I have also researched the service manual for what activates the lights to no avail. Any help will be appreciated
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 03:30:25 PM »
I've not heard of this either... but have to ask... have there been any "modifications" done whatsoever, to the bike... as in adding electrical items, or plugging devices into the "aux" circuit up front or in rear, to pull power for an 'add on'...

If not, I'd suggest getting into the main harness, that ties to the dash, and unplug/replug all those connectors a couple times... and see if it goes away.. just might be a "loose pin" or a short in one of those connectors. Same thing with the relays a BDF notes, "unplug/replug in"

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Stu57

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 06:34:14 PM »
Thanks for the info. Reading the schematic and by the connector view labeling there are 3 power inputs. T10 b+ T9 ign+ T5 kipass+ 2 wires are CAN  communication  the rest are idiot light control circuits. I suspect it may be an internal cluster issue but it's an expensive guess.

Offline Stu57

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 06:37:17 PM »
Also the previous owner installed a boss marine radio and I will disconnect it to see if that corrects the problem. Thanks again for the input

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 06:39:11 PM »
From your other thread regarding the CC just installed, that could be a possibility of the cause too. Maybe some thing got unplugged or wires not fully seated. Is there a way to disable/disengage CC to verify dash lights turn on and off properly?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 07:56:21 PM by robertv »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 05:41:23 AM »
Those are some pretty serious mods made (radio, cruise, who knows what else).  Like others, I suspect a wiring problem.  One of my mods causes the dash and everything to go INSANE if I turn the bike off while any turn signal is on or emergency flashers are on when I turn off the bike.  It is some kind of back-feed issue.  I haven't bothered to "fix" it (probably need a diode somewhere) since I know what not to do.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jonathan

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 09:14:51 AM »
Those are some pretty serious mods made (radio, cruise, who knows what else).  Like others, I suspect a wiring problem.  One of my mods causes the dash and everything to go INSANE if I turn the bike off while any turn signal is on or emergency flashers are on when I turn off the bike.  It is some kind of back-feed issue.  I haven't bothered to "fix" it (probably need a diode somewhere) since I know what not to do.

Yes it’s because you installed a solid state flasher unit. I did too. A diode would fix it but it doesn’t worry me enough to bother.

Offline Stu57

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 10:53:07 AM »
Actually it's had the issue since I bought it a year ago and the cruise was just installed so that can't be the problem. I just didn't bother to diagnose it until I had the fairings off to install the cruise. Thought that would be simple enough. I was wrong.

Offline chap

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 12:32:25 PM »
I would guess some kind of grounding problem. But if it comes down to the Inst cluster. I have one. Perfect condition off a 2010 ABS Concours. Showing approx. 14,000mi, if you are interested

Thanks for the info. Reading the schematic and by the connector view labeling there are 3 power inputs. T10 b+ T9 ign+ T5 kipass+ 2 wires are CAN  communication  the rest are idiot light control circuits. I suspect it may be an internal cluster issue but it's an expensive guess.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 03:32:05 PM »
Actually it's had the issue since I bought it a year ago and the cruise was just installed so that can't be the problem.

Very likely something the previous owner did by accident.

I just didn't bother to diagnose it until I had the fairings off to install the cruise. Thought that would be simple enough. I was wrong.

Yeah, unfortunately, many electrical problems can be a b**** to find and fix.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 04:11:41 PM »
Also the previous owner installed a boss marine radio and I will disconnect it to see if that corrects the problem. Thanks again for the input

fixing "other peoples" errors is really painful, I feel for you... and it seems I had assumed somewhat correctly back in time "mods" were done...
simply "disconnecting" the unit may not provide the complete answer tho, re-trace every wire associated with that install, and completely remove them all at their "tie in source", then inspect that particular "circuit" for faults, and checking the fuses in the circuit for "power" on when the bike is turned off...

best of luck

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..