Author Topic: Back from BRP.....  (Read 3766 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Back from BRP.....
« on: June 07, 2011, 02:15:28 PM »
and it was GREAT , it was about 210 miles for the first leg to Marion NC.  My girlfriend and I stayed the night at a Super*, that to my surprise was quite nice.  We ran into 4 gentlemen from Canada on the HD's that were very nice too. Thanks to :hail: gpzrocker   he is from that neck of the woods he gave us a very nice route to take and I had the pleasure of meeting up with him.  Very pleasant person and gave great directions.  We went to Chimney Rock http://www.chimneyrockpark.com/ and to Lake James http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/laja/main.php dang it was great.  We spent the night at The Switzerland Inn. http://www.switzerlandinn.com/rooms/diamondback.html SCHWEEEET place the settle down and cheap, 69.00 per night.  :thumbs: . When we were there the Inn was hosting a Porsche Boxer meet so they were all over the place.
  We hit more of the mountain roads on Sunday and did the Diamondback route http://www.diamondbacknc.com/ , very exciting turns.  I didn't do Route 80, I think my Connie would need to upgrade on some springs for that.  I felt that I was really working (physically) to get the Connie around and it was my first time experiencing these types of roads.  We are planning another trip back as soon as we get so free time.  I owe gpzroker a ride.  ;)  We did a total of 612 miles on the weekend and it was great.
 Here are some pictures.

Cheers
Ron

On the way up to Chimney Rock

These 3 were also from Canada too

And your truly and Angela.

We must do a return trip soon.  I'll be ordering some Sonic springs first.
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
Re: Back from BRP.....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 03:37:31 PM »
Very nice!
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 04:24:18 PM »
We get you a hotel to ditch the saddlebags and maybe the Givi and that would help with the handling.  At least it did for me.

Pic 2 and 3 are of Lake Lure and the Hotel that Dirty Dancing was filmed at. Lake James was on the Diamondback loop, the goat trail known as Lake James road.

If you can make it down 226A alive, then you would be OK on 80. Fish Hatchery probably wore ya out.

I can see Boone in the forecast: just the ride there and back is worth it, but I will have some of my buds let me know where to go.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 06:42:21 PM »
I'll be heading down there this Friday! Can't wait!

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 01:55:18 AM »
We get you a hotel to ditch the saddlebags and maybe the Givi and that would help with the handling.  At least it did for me.

Pic 2 and 3 are of Lake Lure and the Hotel that Dirty Dancing was filmed at. Lake James was on the Diamondback loop, the goat trail known as Lake James road.

I can see Boone in the forecast: just the ride there and back is worth it, but I will have some of my buds let me know where to go.

Lake Lure, that's right  :-[
Thanks we are already planning a date.  ;)
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline speed545

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 04:27:41 AM »
Hey great thread. I m planning to ride the BRP on august. I ll keep your infos.

You probably  met some of our fellows riders from our community here in Quebec.

Derry
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 08:15:28 AM »
September myself. It adds challenge to arrange the trip between hurricanes.

But school is back in, motor homes have returned to their winter homes, campgrounds are almost empty, and it's a bit cooler.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline shiney

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 08:24:08 AM »
The BRP is always better during the week and/or early morning/evening.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 01:34:25 PM »
Oh I almost forgot, please don't forget to pack water....a lot.  That way you don't have to pull off the parkway to wet your whistle.  ;)  Also if your using a map make sure it's updated.  The small map I got from ROK, didn't have most of the roads on them as gpzrocker pointed out.  No I don't have a gps yet.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline mlf73

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 11:12:02 AM »
I love that Little Switzerland area....very nice.  226A was one of the scariest roads I've ever been on I think if I remember correctly.  If you run off the edge of that one in some places you may never be seen again!
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 02:14:06 PM »
If you run off the edge of that one in some places you may never be seen again!
Soooo true, there were time that Angela really squeezed down on me when looking over the edge. I can't wait to go back..... soooooon.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 02:58:08 PM »
Yeah, it is hard to put a guardrail 4 feet above the road when it will be 103 feet tall....

And I like to scare passengers a little bit.

Funny, 80 is more technical to me than 226A, and I haven't even shown you the fun way to Lake Lure yet....

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 03:26:04 PM »
Funny, 80 is more technical to me than 226A, and I haven't even shown you the fun way to Lake Lure yet....

No you have not, I look forward to it.   ;)
09 Connie