Author Topic: You're starting to scare me  (Read 7138 times)

shenandoahvalley

You're starting to scare me
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:45:01 PM »
After reading all the stories about Connies falling over you are starting to scare...Bum Phillips said there were two types of NFL coaches, thems thats been fired and thems that gonna be...I am begining to feel like there are two types of Connie riders, thems that fell over and thems thats gonna.  I haven't gotten my new to me C10 yet, pick it up in about a week.  Are these things really so top heavy and fall over that easy?  Any signs to watch for...I've been riding for about 50 years and been down three times...all slow speed drops.  Mostly just hurt my ego but at my age I'm not looking forward to dropping another bike.

Offline MrPepsi

Re: You're starting to scare me
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 10:36:59 AM »
No, it just so happens we have a thread about it. THere are plenty out there that have never dropped a Connie. I never dropped my C10, but I have dropped my C14 three times. Just be careful in parking lots, doing tight uturns for parking spots, do lots of parking lot speed practice, and you'll be fine. I'm 6' 2", 180 lbs, and I picked up my C14 all three times by myself, so it just ain't that intimidating either.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

shenandoahvalley

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 01:25:04 PM »
Brent, thanks for the reassurance.  My Kawi cruiser is kind of a slug at slow speeds also, so I am a little used to it.  Haven't picked up the Connie yet but I am really excited about trying something besides a cruiser.  I think I got a good deal on a good used bike and I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting to try it out.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »
Like Brent said, it doesn't really happen that often.  If you read most of them (including mine) it usually happens when you are doing something you really shouldn't be doing, or you got careless with your skills, or worse yet, you're tired or half asleep.  The high center of gravity on the C-10 will try to get unsuspecting riders at these times.  Once it starts, unlike a lot of bikes, you're not going to stop it.  You may slow it down, but it is going down.

I was tired after working around the house and on the bike all day.  I rolled backwards out of the garage and forgot to put the kickstand up.  As I turned left cresting the garage slab and driveway seam, the kick stand touched and pushed the bike to the right.  The driveway really drops away.  I slowed it, but she went down anyway.  No real damage.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 01:43:39 PM »
>80,000 miles and I haven't dropped mine (yet), but thats only because KiPass has the mad pow-ahs  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 05:37:07 PM »
After reading all the stories about Connies falling over you are starting to scare...Bum Phillips said there were two types of NFL coaches, thems thats been fired and thems that gonna be...I am begining to feel like there are two types of Connie riders, thems that fell over and thems thats gonna.  I haven't gotten my new to me C10 yet, pick it up in about a week.  Are these things really so top heavy and fall over that easy?  Any signs to watch for...I've been riding for about 50 years and been down three times...all slow speed drops.  Mostly just hurt my ego but at my age I'm not looking forward to dropping another bike.
On my third c10 and aint dropped one yet  ;D

shenandoahvalley

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 05:47:43 PM »
Thanks folks...I do feel a little better.  I pick the bike up on the 3rd and am really looking forward to it.  I hope its more comfortable than the cruiser I now ride.  Even though I have added some farkles including a Mustang seat to the cruiser I am only good for about 250 miles a day.  I am expecting the Connie to up that a bit.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 06:11:56 PM »
I predict love at first ride.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 07:03:25 AM »
>80,000 miles and I haven't dropped mine (yet), but thats only because KiPass has the mad pow-ahs  ;D

no doubt. What else?  ;)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 07:51:34 AM »
Only time my C10 went down was when my dog crashed into the front wheel.... It was on the center stand, I was sitting on the floor next to the bike adding oil before leaving for a trip in the morning.  Also was talking on the phone and using a flashlight since the lights in my garage are terrible! 
Dog came running in from outside, crashed into the front wheel, tipped the C10 over ON ME!  I think my mother was not happy with the words that followed....
Only casualty was the mirror. 

C14 remains upright to this day... 355 days of ownership so far on this one...
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 08:36:47 AM »
Only time my C10 went down was when my dog crashed into the front wheel.... It was on the center stand, I was sitting on the floor next to the bike adding oil before leaving for a trip in the morning.  Also was talking on the phone and using a flashlight since the lights in my garage are terrible! 
Dog came running in from outside, crashed into the front wheel, tipped the C10 over ON ME!  I think my mother was not happy with the words that followed....
Only casualty was the mirror. 

C14 remains upright to this day... 355 days of ownership so far on this one...

At least your bike fell on something soft...    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 08:44:07 AM »
I've only owned 4 bikes but have dropped every one of them at least once. Foot slipped on some oil in the garage, foot slipped on some sand at an intersection, incompetent riding in sand. The latest on my Connie was parked on a slope and didn't have enough left lean. Went over to the right while I was walking away. Engine guards/tip over protection is my friend.