Author Topic: What is this thing with packs of motorcycles traveling slowly....?  (Read 2460 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/dramatic-video-shows-motorcycle-crash-161550891.html

What is up with this. Is this funny? Is this fun? I do not understand. ??

A few years ago, we were riding on a major secondary road and came upon a 'clot' of traffic doing about 10 MPH below the speed limit. After a few twists in the road, I saw there was a pack of bikes up ahead at the head of the 'clot'. So we made our way up to said pack and pulled up even with one of them at the next stoplight... and I asked him (kid- maybe 22 yrs. old on a sport bike) what they were doing. He grinned and said something to the effect of 'just screwing around with all the cars'. Hmmmm. So I asked if one of the cars had annoyed one or more of the bikers and he said no, they were just 'playing'. Hmmmm. So when the light turned green, we left the whole 'clot' and moved out ahead and left them behind. Looking back, I guess it was one of these.... what? Flash bike mobs? Some kind of FaceTwit thingy?

Now I am all for humor, and even just a little bit of suffering in the name of humor but honestly, I did not see the humor, the point, the 'fun' or anything else. Just looked like a bunch of kids screwing with the machine that is society because they can, or so it seemed to me.

Now I know this group is pretty grey- haired but maybe someone can enlighten me..... is this a 'thing to do'. now? It is cool? Is it fun? If this the white, middle- class version of a gaggle of 'people' blocking a highway on foot?  Is this the 'them' in the 'us against them' concept?

Unless I am missing something, I would not mind at all if one of them brushed up against a quarter panel on my car....

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: What is this thing with packs of motorcycles traveling slowly....?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 03:01:58 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/dramatic-video-shows-motorcycle-crash-161550891.html

What is up with this. Is this funny? Is this fun? I do not understand. ??

It is typical stupid, young, idiotic, "look at me, I am invincible" stuff.   And they then crash into someone and have no vehicle insurance (so we all pay), rushed to medical care and have no medical insurance (so we all pay), and block the interstate inconveniencing thousands of drivers.  This then gives a bad name to all Motorcyclists.

He grinned and said something to the effect of 'just screwing around with all the cars'. Hmmmm. So I asked if one of the cars had annoyed one or more of the bikers and he said no, they were just 'playing'. Hmmmm. So when the light turned green, we left the whole 'clot' and moved out ahead and left them behind. Looking back, I guess it was one of these.... what? Flash bike mobs? Some kind of FaceTwit thingy?

This is also typical.  Same thing with ultra loud music.  Same thing with super loud exhaust systems.  Same thing with walking super-slow through a cross walk and holding up traffic.  For some people, their lives are so meaningless, so tiny, and their ego so fractured with no dignity nor empathy, it gives them pleasure to annoy and "control" other people.... it gives them "power" over something.  It took me a long time to learn this, since I simply couldn't believe people could be like that.

Now I know this group is pretty grey- haired

Hey- speak for yourself!  I use Just-For-Men!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 03:12:13 PM »

Now I know this group is pretty grey- haired...

Brian

Right, for those of us with enough hair on our heads to say we have hair.  I don't count myself in that group. ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 03:28:17 PM »
Right, for those of us with enough hair on our heads to say we have hair.

Hey- speak for yourself!  I use Propecia AND minoxidil!!  [And yet it isn't helping that much]

I don't count myself in that group. ;)

:)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 04:21:54 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 08:01:10 PM »
I am still trying to get a handle on this but it seems as though in trying to stand out, the thrust is on making a scene by committing some kind of chaos or anarchy. Screw up some one elses' works. Make a point by preventing others from just going about any kind of routine.

I have to say, not a fan of anarchy. My view is that something as complex as society needs some structure, rules and agreed upon parameters. Most are very simple, such as the one where we all agree, by law but even more so, by custom, to drive on one side of the road. Go against that rule and it makes a true mess without any benefit.

Now these pups are not doing anything outrageous and perhaps not even breaking any laws (perhaps impeding traffic but that is a pretty light rule IMO). But they are making a mess, for no gain or reason. And as a member of society who likes to follow the rules, mostly, and appreciates it when others do also, mostly, or at least enough to not stand out and mangle the system, I am not a fan of this. So yeah, put me down for a 'no' when we vote on it.

Or as I said, a scrape with a quarter- panel is forgivable.

Looks like more of us should invest in snow plows for next summer....er, I mean winter.

Brian

It is typical stupid, young, idiotic, "look at me, I am invincible" stuff.   And they then crash into someone and have no vehicle insurance (so we all pay), rushed to medical care and have no medical insurance (so we all pay), and block the interstate inconveniencing thousands of drivers.  This then gives a bad name to all Motorcyclists.

This is also typical.  Same thing with ultra loud music.  Same thing with super loud exhaust systems.  Same thing with walking super-slow through a cross walk and holding up traffic.  For some people, their lives are so meaningless, so tiny, and their ego so fractured with no dignity nor empathy, it gives them pleasure to annoy and "control" other people.... it gives them "power" over something.  It took me a long time to learn this, since I simply couldn't believe people could be like that.

Hey- speak for yourself!  I use Just-For-Men!!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 09:16:29 PM »
I first noticed this years ago with some groups of Harley riders. My thought was that since they couldn't compete in speed they would corner the market on slow.

PS. Just an observation, I do like nicely done Harleys.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 12:36:13 AM »
god that woman doing the filming would do my head in, what a back seat driver. Listen to how she tells er friend how to drive!!
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 06:13:51 AM »
Is it poetic that they took each other down?

god that woman doing the filming would do my head in, what a back seat driver. Listen to how she tells er friend how to drive!!

I had to turn the volume all the way down.  It was hurting my brain.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 06:40:33 AM »
I watch videos on the 'Net without sound, and only turn it up if needed to understand the video. Sounds like the system is working for me- I did not hear anyone speak.

The 'Net seems 'smarter' if you get it one sense at a time; two or more shows the idiocy faster and much, much worse. And perhaps by 'smarter' I really mean less- dumb. I suspect it ain't gonna' get better when they figure out how to add smell and tactile feedback either.....

Brian

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
Stupid punks! It's more than "look at me". It's "I'm absolutely going to force you to pay attention to me". There is a LOT of that going on these days.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 02:25:05 AM »
The words "brain dead" and "morons" come to mind

The expression " an accident looking for somewhere to happen" is apt   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 09:09:11 AM »
If they cant mess with cagyers with stunt riding they will do it by impedingy traffctic.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!