Author Topic: Upgraded to Windows 10 last Saturday...  (Read 23938 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Upgraded to Windows 10 last Saturday...
« on: May 10, 2016, 02:42:10 PM »
Was on 8.1 Professional...   Got pissed at the W10 messages and finally said  :censored: k it and told it to go ahead.  No problems with the process but afterwards I lost sound and a few applications were crying the blues.  Looked at update and it said it needed to do it.  After that, sound came back and the applications stopped complaining.  Added Stardock Start10 to give me that ole familiar W7 feel ($4.99) and everything appears to be working fine so far.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 last Saturday...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 03:17:05 PM »
Any benefits other than getting rid of the spam request to update to 10?

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 04:28:28 PM »
Any benefits other than getting rid of the spam request to update to 10?

- Windows 10 is a free upgrade.
- Windows 7, 8.1 will not be supported forever.
- Windows 10 is solid and well made. After you upgrade, you can reinstall Windows 10 fresh including a format if you choose to.
- If you do not upgrade for free in time, you will be required to pay for it later this year.
- Windows 10 has a better UI than Windows 7, so remove your UI interface because it will simply slow your computer down, even if it is just a little.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 04:43:48 PM »
Not sure anything on your list is actually a benefit to me. Rather than just meekly submitting to MS blackmail and bulllying I think I'll wait.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 04:47:36 PM »
MS Blackmail does not mean it isn't worth upgrading.
An outdated IE, Chrome and Windows OS will become very annoying in time.
But yes you are right, there aren't really any glaring benefits to upgrading unless an app comes along you want which is not supported on Windows 7. Hopefully it won't be too late.

Technically I believe you could upgrade, then roll back to windows 7 if you know what you're doing, then technically that PC is now on the list to allow a reinstall of Windows 10. Pretty sure they have no way to prevent this.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 04:48:48 PM »
Not sure anything on your list is actually a benefit to me. Rather than just meekly submitting to MS blackmail and bulllying I think I'll wait.

I continue to use Linux.  No nags, no cost, no blackmail, no spyware, no registration, [essentially] no malware, lots of freedom and choice.  Can be a little tricky sometimes, though.   Everything in life is a compromise.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 04:49:43 PM »
Who invited you to this thread. Sheesh.  ;D
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 04:52:06 PM »
Who invited you to this thread. Sheesh.  ;D

I am like a bad penny.  You never know where I might show up.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 04:58:07 PM »
Brent, I'm not that technically advanced to be able to manipulate the upgrade as you mentioned. Thanks for the info. As far as using Linus I wasn't aware Charlie Brown and the gang had any thing to do with computers.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 08:28:18 AM »
95% of my work is on Linux but I do have a Lenovo Yoga with win 8 and Start7 to make it look and feel like win 7. I have never been bugged to upgrade. I must have accidentally set the right switches.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 11:40:31 AM »
I fell into getting the 10 upgrade. Now I can't get Outlook to sync back up with my Yahoo email address and show me my old emails. For that reason, so far it's just another MS POC in my mind.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 12:07:56 PM »
You know, I had an issue with that but I don't remember if it was just before or after the upgrade.  What happened with me was I checked the box (on Yahoo) for two step authentication (sends a text).  My Outlook couldn't handle that obviously and it stopped syncing.  I went back to Yahoo and changed it back to the way it was and I'm working again.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 05:32:59 PM »
95% of my work is on Linux but I do have a Lenovo Yoga

I had the Yoga option back when it first came out, but bought a loaded Twist instead, since it had much better performance.  Has been rock solid running Fedora and generally very happy with it (battery life isn't great, though).

Run Mageia on my home desktop, mostly CentOS/RHEL/Fedora at work.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 11:03:21 AM »
I had the Yoga option back when it first came out, but bought a loaded Twist instead, since it had much better performance.  Has been rock solid running Fedora and generally very happy with it (battery life isn't great, though).

Run Mageia on my home desktop, mostly CentOS/RHEL/Fedora at work.

??? What??
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 03:36:12 PM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 05:34:06 PM »
I don't think we speak Linux... ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 07:56:05 PM »
I don't think we speak Linux... ;)

Well, half of it was just straight-up geek speak

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 04:52:39 AM »
- Windows 10 is a free upgrade.
- Windows 7, 8.1 will not be supported forever.
- Windows 10 is solid and well made. After you upgrade, you can reinstall Windows 10 fresh including a format if you choose to.
- If you do not upgrade for free in time, you will be required to pay for it later this year.
- Windows 10 has a better UI than Windows 7, so remove your UI interface because it will simply slow your computer down, even if it is just a little.

After upgrading to 10 and then reformatting how would I go about doing a reinstall of 10?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 08:45:34 AM »
Its certainly not easy, but here is the jist.

When you click to install Windows 10, if you can find it, you need to download Windows 10 to a flash drive, and make sure it's large enough to hold the entire image. Then perform the upgrade from that flash drive.
After the upgrade, you would then use the same flash drive to install Windows 10, and this time you would choose to reformat.
I would suggest doing some google searching on Microsoft sites to get the process in detail.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 12:59:03 PM »
The thought of upgrading to Win 10 is depressing ... since my Win 7 works perfectly, and I'm very familiar with it.