Author Topic: tire changes  (Read 4654 times)

Offline overlord

tire changes
« on: March 05, 2015, 04:53:15 PM »
   When replacing tires do you change as a set or just replace rear or front as needed ? looking to decide witch way is best to go.  Thanks

Offline Throttle 8

Re: tire changes
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 04:58:27 PM »
I generally go thru 3 rears for every 2 fronts. So I have always just changed out a tire whenever it needed it. Have never had any issue doing this for the last 30 years.
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 05:56:53 PM »
Two rears for one front here. Unless I'm going to a Rally. Then it's fresh front and rear no matter what. Never show up for a 3 or 4 day ride with a used tire. :o
The grass isn't always greener.

elp_jc

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 05:59:21 PM »
Rubber degrades over time and heat cycles, so even if a tire still looks great, it can't compare to new rubber. If you like riding aggressively in the twisties, like I do, you should NEVER leave an old tire in place and just replace one... but that's just me. Always in pairs, regardless of wear. My life is worth more than a $100 ;D, but to each his own. What I do is reduce front tire pressure a little for better grip (if needed), and that also helps equalize wear more evenly, killing 2 birds with one stone. Haven't had a chance to ride my new Connie, which I'll do at 42 psi at both ends initially, and see how it grips. The lowest I'd go is 40/38, but I always ride solo, and only weigh 155# (well, 150# now due to chemo). And most likely will probably do 42/40. With a fully-loaded bike (2-up, very heavy rider, etc), I'd obviously never deviate from 42/42 (or even higher). You need to experiment a little to end up with the best pressure for your riding style and total weight.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 09:37:21 PM »
I generally go thru 3 rears for every 2 fronts. So I have always just changed out a tire whenever it needed it. Have never had any issue doing this for the last 30 years.

My front always wears out before my rear (on every bike I have owned).  But by the time the front wears out, the rear is usually about 2/3 gone and getting pretty old.  Old = hard = less stick = less safe.

Rubber degrades over time and heat cycles, so even if a tire still looks great, it can't compare to new rubber.

Exactly.  Which is why I just replace both.  On my Infiniti, I had lots of tread on both front and rear (high performance tires), but after 5 years, they were getting hard and wouldn't stick well at all.... especially in the cold.  OMG what a difference when I replaced them.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 03:19:55 AM »
if changing before a trip, always both, and re-install if needed later.
otherwise, i normally do one at a time, as far as rubber age, not counting the winter storage, 2 months might be the longest a tire has been on my bike. pretty sure my tires don't degrade over time.

But if you are fortunate like some members to get years out of tires, then it would make more sense to do both.
my rears go about 4-5k and fronts closer to 7k miles (80k mikes in 4 years on my 09)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 03:59:29 AM »
One at a time.  Never had a problem doing this.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 10:00:43 AM »
My front always wears out before my rear (on every bike I have owned).  But by the time the front wears out, the rear is usually about 2/3 gone and getting pretty old.  Old = hard = less stick = less safe.

My 2 fronts to 3 rears is with my ZX12R Ninja and all the other sport bikes I have had over the years. I don't know if this will change with the Connie. We will have to see if the traction control will be able to control my right wrist! LOL!
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 01:21:47 PM »
I replace as needed. My front typically lasts 50% longer than my rear.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 02:50:43 PM »
Agree it can be painful ($) sometimes but I'm a fan of doing both when you need sneakers. I prefer minimizing maintenance trips especially if I'm leaving the bike and requiring others to pick me up and drop me off. 
2004 BMW KGT1200  Sold 2001 HD Low Rider    Sold
2004 BMW 1150RT    Sold
2002 HD Road King   Sold
2002 Kawasaki ZZR   Sold

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 08:47:16 PM »
I replace as needed.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 07:10:57 AM »
Agree it can be painful ($) sometimes but I'm a fan of doing both when you need sneakers. I prefer minimizing maintenance trips especially if I'm leaving the bike and requiring others to pick me up and drop me off.

Exactly why I do it myself, not to save money but way more convenient.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 08:24:04 AM »
I replace as needed.

^^^^^^werd.

I'm not into replacing good tires or good oil for no reason  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 09:04:16 AM »
^^^^^^werd.

I'm not into replacing good tires or good oil for no reason  ;D

I love the smell of new tires, is that a good reason?  ;D

elp_jc

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 12:52:03 PM »
I'm not into replacing good tires or good oil for no reason
Well, just because they look 'good' to you, doesn't mean they're good ;). Rubber start degrading with each heat cycle... and time as well (the more ozone, the worse it gets). If you like to tackle twisties aggressively, your life is not worth risking for $100 or less, but to each his own. Riding as such, you can immediately tell the grip difference between a 'good' looking tire, and a new one. Just saying ;D.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 02:15:26 PM »
Knowing Steve, I rather doubt that they (tires) get a chance to do any aging on any of his vehicles.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.