Author Topic: Stock saddle bags performance in Rain?  (Read 9072 times)

Offline XR6

• 2009 ABS Black
Re: Stock saddle bags performance in Rain?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 12:20:30 AM »
Would you believe I have a set of those liners and have not used them!!!!
The only reason is that I can pack more into the panniers if I use a plastic bag and I remove the panniers each night and carry them into our accomodation.

I must use them and see what they are like.

My wife and I always travel together so space and weight is always a concern.
2009 ABS Black, AreaP carbon, K&N air filter, PC V, Flies Out.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 07:17:57 AM »
I have never had rain get in while riding.  I did however have some water intrusion while the bike was sitting on the side stand in a torrential downpour.  I always pack my stuff in waterproof bags, and clothes go in those large bags that you can squeeze the air out of. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 08:44:46 PM »
Nice link, Max.   ;)
The price is agreeable and they look like they take advantage of the full capacity of the bags.

I have always used stuffsacs and carried the panniers into the hotel, if that's the sleeping plan. 

OP, no water ever in the cases!    :)
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 08:58:52 PM »
Nice link, Max.   ;)
The price is agreeable and they look like they take advantage of the full capacity of the bags.

There is some wasted space, which I suppose will happen with any bags.  But they are very convenient.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 05:41:41 PM »
Maybe the wasted space will leave room for a tripod in one and monopod in the other?    8)

Any experience with that?    ;D

IBA#53928

sailor_chic

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 06:06:25 PM »
Maybe the wasted space will leave room for a tripod in one and monopod in the other?    8)

Any experience with that?    ;D

My tripod doesn't take up much space.

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 08:22:13 PM »
I have one similar to that.   ;)

For other needs I have a Slik "Sprint Pro 3Way" and an Induro carbon fiber monopod.
They are both about 18" long and light-weight, and fit in the panniers, one per side as needed.
When I bought them they met my need and price-point exactly.  :)

Still travel with the tripod, 6 years later, and will tote the mono if doing something sporty.  :D
IBA#53928

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 09:05:43 PM »
The mad pow-ah of kipass has prevented my bags from coming off and it also kept the contents dry for 96,000 miles, just insure your fob battery is fresh at all times
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2015, 07:08:20 AM »
I was talking to a couple of cops on C14 police bikes the other day. One of them told me he hit a bump right before slowing down for a light and watched as one of he bags when sliding by. But he also said they have to their bags off and on the bike several times every day so he might have accidentally had it improperly latched. I should have asked him if his FOB had a fresh battery.  ;D