Author Topic: Shinko 890 JOurney review thread  (Read 40088 times)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Shinko 890 JOurney review thread
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2012, 08:42:35 PM »
Well, put 250 miles on the 890s today.  All two-lane roads and twisties.  No complaints at all, and I really like these tires.  So far, I like them every bit as much as the Pilot GTs, and maybe more.  There might be some rain (and hail  :o ) tomorrow, so I might get a chance to try them out in wet weather.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Tele130

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2012, 06:34:25 AM »
Well, put 250 miles on the 890s today.  All two-lane roads and twisties.  No complaints at all, and I really like these tires.  So far, I like them every bit as much as the Pilot GTs, and maybe more.  There might be some rain (and hail  :o ) tomorrow, so I might get a chance to try them out in wet weather.

This is what I was hoping to hear!!!! :thumbs:  Are you running them front and rear?
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2012, 08:28:11 PM »

This is what I was hoping to hear!!!! :thumbs:  Are you running them front and rear?
Yep, a matched set of tires.

Got to ride in the rain today.  They were pretty good.  They didn't feel as good as the Pilot GTs did in the rain, though.  But with only a few hundred miles on them, I'll reserve judgement for now.   I had a couple of instance of slipping when accelerating.  One time was on a yellow line, so I'm not surprised.  The other time, though, I didn't see any reason that the tire should have slipped.  Might have just been a slippery spot in the road.  The rear seemed to lock quicker than it should have when braking on wet pavement, but it wasn't that long ago that I re-adjusted my rear brake pedal, so it might have been me applying more brake than I thought.  I was stopping pretty hard when it happened.

No noticeable cornering issues in the rain, but I was leading a ride at that point, so was riding slower than I normally would.  Probably a good thing, too.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2012, 01:57:55 PM »
I too had a lockup on the rear in the rain when I first put it on. Either I got used to it or it got used to me: either way no problems (and alot of rain) since.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2012, 06:13:02 PM »
I noticed the bike was REALLY squirrelly when I hit some rain on the interstate today.  If I changed lanes over the tar snake that was between the lanes, the bike slipped really badly.  I did find that my front tire pressure was down at 35, though, and the rear was only 39.  Those were both warm numbers, so the pressure was definitely lower than I wanted.  Have to get it out in the rain again and see how those tar snakes feel now.

Offline jklhill

« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2012, 02:43:28 PM »
Mounted a new rear two weeks ago. Still have the pilot GT up front. So far only in town miles and a couple of short jaunts on the slab. My observations so far?... The tire is taller than the GT (at least taller than my worn out one). The steering is noticeably easier. It wiggles on the rain grooves on the slab :'(. I miss my GT. I'm a little disappointed at this point but don't have enough miles to really judge yet. Soon, Lord willing, I'll be making a 2,300 file trip from central Cal to the Denver area. I plan to go east through Yosemite, connect to U.S. 6 and then get on the I70 in Utah. Not sure about the return route yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see some rain in Utah and Colorado so I should be able to give a well rounded report when I return.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
It wiggles on the rain grooves on the slab :'(. I miss my GT.
I forgot about that.  I went over two steel deck bridges, both with different deck types, and the 890s did wander a bit.  No worse than any tire with a central groove though.  I'm guessing that the way the grooves are set up on the 890 mimics two off-center grooves.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2012, 08:03:26 PM »
I'm doing an IB ride next Saturday.  I'll be starting with a brand new set of 890's.  I'll report once I'm able ::) :loco: :rotflmao:

Doug Colton

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2012, 03:57:08 AM »
the tar snake that was between the lanes, the bike slipped really badly. 

Came down a mountain road filled with tar snakes, same result, and it was dry. Been a couple of years since I did this road on the Avons, and under different circumstances. Wish I remembered if it was scary then too. Tire pressures ok, rest of the trip uneventful.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2012, 08:14:18 AM »
Came down a mountain road filled with tar snakes, same result, and it was dry. Been a couple of years since I did this road on the Avons, and under different circumstances. Wish I remembered if it was scary then too. Tire pressures ok, rest of the trip uneventful.

I don't think Tar Snakes are a good judgment of a tire. I've ridden the the roads in Northen Georgia On my ZRX1100 (Wolfpen Gap, hwy 60, 129, Richard Russell) on everything from the Conti Road Attacks to the PR3's and every tire slips on Tar Snakes. 

Doug Colton

Offline Daves00

• Arena
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »
Gang,
  Will chime in on Shinko 890 Journey evaluation. Just returned from a 2,000 mile trip to Ark. 1,100 miles of Interstate, 900 miles of the best that Ark. has to offer.
  Coming off of Pilot GT's which were GREAT tires and going to Shinko's I didn't know what to expect. I noticed only two differences, the ride MIGHT be a LITTLE more harsh and the height of the rear tire. For you long legged guys and gals, move along there is nothing for you to see here. For you inseam challenged 30 to 32 inchers you wil need to make darn sure where you put your foot down. The GT's are tall, the 890's are an inch taller. :-\ That favorite cushion, sheep skin, etc. might cause you some problems.
  I like the tires, stick well, give good feed back, noticed no problem in the rain, but these babies are TALL.

Dave N.
COG 4475
Rockford Ill.
03 Connie [GQ}

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2012, 09:25:01 PM »
200 miles today. Seemed to start raining every time I turned the key. Rode from Asheville/Hot Springs/Asheville on 25/70/63. Roads that they name, 63 is (moon)Shiners Run.

Was able to walk away from the CBR's that were with me no sweat, but they run sport tires. The guy on the snowmobile was moving good though. That impressed me.

The tar snakes still kill me, and I got on the yellow line once almost ended up in a high side.

I am going to say very very good but break away very quickly, much more so than my Avons.

And for the ride height and harshness, I brought down my damper rod on my rear shock one click and the bike rides very well. I have a 32inch inseam and flat foot fine. It is 1 inch taller, I too checked.

Still a grea tire.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2012, 09:20:12 AM »
200 miles today. Seemed to start raining every time I turned the key. Rode from Asheville/Hot Springs/Asheville on 25/70/63. Roads that they name, 63 is (moon)Shiners Run.

Was able to walk away from the CBR's that were with me no sweat, but they run sport tires. The guy on the snowmobile was moving good though. That impressed me.

The tar snakes still kill me, and I got on the yellow line once almost ended up in a high side.

I am going to say very very good but break away very quickly, much more so than my Avons.

And for the ride height and harshness, I brought down my damper rod on my rear shock one click and the bike rides very well. I have a 32inch inseam and flat foot fine. It is 1 inch taller, I too checked.

Still a grea tire.

I might be just a little confused about this "snowmobile" thing... :o
'02 C-10

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2012, 12:34:04 PM »
I'll throw in my .02 on the 890. I'm on my second one, the first was defective, out of round. The second is also out of round, but less so. I'll stick with it, sick of changing rear tires. Four different rear tires in less than 3k miles.

Cornering seems to do quite well, though not as confidence inspiring as the Avon Venom or Michelin Commander II.

This tire is rated for over 1000 lbs. I reduced the pressure from 40 to 35lbs. Ride is better and the twichiness is less pronounced. The bike is not nearly as stable when playing with freeway traffic. It also likes to follow the grooves in concrete. Could be traits of a radial tire, I dunno. I haven't played with it that hard in the rain yet, as it is still relatively new. I did play with the brake on a wet road, it seemed to take quite a bit of pedal pressure to get it to break loose.

This a tall tire. Doing 80 on the GPS showed 4600 rpm, stock size Venom and Commander II both showed 5000. Like SiSF said at breakfast yesterday, kind of like a 6 and 3/4 gear.

To sum it up, I don't think I'll buy another one. I really liked the Michelin Commander II for ride, handling, and they actually make a tire that is round. It's possible the Michelin I had was an aberration, but it slipped out very easy on a corner with light acceleration on a wet road. Dry road, it kicked butt. I dunno what's with the Shinko deal. I run Shinko 700 series street knobs on my KLR and absolutely love them. They do everything very well. I've had two out of round 890s in a row, the second, less so. Western Power Sports was superb to deal with on a replacement.

Note. If this bike didn't have 170k miles on it, I would hook up with a 17" rear and spoon on a Michelin PR3. The one I have on the front is one superb tire. Folks running them on the C-14s are liking them a bunch also.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2012, 05:40:45 PM »
I might be just a little confused about this "snowmobile" thing... :o

The Can Am Spyder is a snowmobile with tires instead of skis. Im sticking to my guns on that. Every time I looked at it, sitting still or following around Lake Lure, it looked like a snowmobile.

Tire is not out of round, but has alot of weight to balance. People here gave me mucho grief about running 35psi, so it went back up to 42. I actually just notched the damper rod back to 2 and it helped immensely.

I find no difference in cornering: nor does various hard parts that seem to come in contact with the pavement when I get hasty. Tar snakes do scare me, and I imagine concrete grooves would be the same.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »
The Can Am Spyder is a snowmobile with tires instead of skis. Im sticking to my guns on that. Every time I looked at it, sitting still or following around Lake Lure, it looked like a snowmobile.

As much as I love to argue about things...I got nothin here... :chugbeer:
'02 C-10

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2012, 06:55:16 AM »
Tar snakes do scare me, and I imagine concrete grooves would be the same.
I wasn't too fond of the 890s on tar snakes either, but the last bunch I hit, I barely noticed.  But the weather has been MUCH cooler, so that is probably the reason.

The 777 rear I had didn't seem to mind the tar snakes as much, and painted lines in the rain weren't as noticeable either.

But I don't think the 890s are all that horrible in relation to tar snakes and paint, I just think the Pilot GTs spoiled me.  (Damn you, Michelin!)

Offline Tele130

« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2012, 07:31:18 AM »
At this point, my 890's are still sitting in my garage.  I'll get them mounted once this riding season comes to an end :'(.  I just wanted to chime in about "Tar Snakes".........mind you that my opinion is based more on riding a ZRX then my Connie:

I've had Bridgestone, Continentals, Dunlops, Michelin and Shinko's and EVERY one of these tire brands didn't like Tar Snakes!  In the heat of the summer tar snakes are as slick as Elephant Snot no matter what kind of rubber your wearing.  Even my GT's that I'm about to wear out on my Connie hate them.  Maybe I still ride my Connie like my ZRX...........sometimes I know I do ;) but I've learned that when riding on a road with those slippery snakes every where the most important thing to do is to SLOW down a little and when you feel the bike getting squarely..........STAY WITH IT!  Tapping brakes or sudden throttle inputs will only amplify the moment.  Slow down BEFORE you reach that "OH, CRAP!!!" point.  Yes, some tires DO handle tar snakes slightly better than other but to judge a tire based on it performance while encountering tar snakes isn't a fair evaluation of a tire.

Don't misunderstand this post.  I'm not criticizing anyone in any way, shape or manner.  I'm just sharing my personal experience and $.02. :thumbs:

Doug Colton

Offline F-106

« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2012, 01:25:01 PM »
You are right on the money Doug. Tar snakes are everywere here in California. It is so bad here I do not ride at the heat of the day. The road is to slick. I have even seen car slide over them.
At this point, my 890's are still sitting in my garage.  I'll get them mounted once this riding season comes to an end :'(.  I just wanted to chime in about "Tar Snakes".........mind you that my opinion is based more on riding a ZRX then my Connie:

I've had Bridgestone, Continentals, Dunlops, Michelin and Shinko's and EVERY one of these tire brands didn't like Tar Snakes!  In the heat of the summer tar snakes are as slick as Elephant Snot no matter what kind of rubber your wearing.  Even my GT's that I'm about to wear out on my Connie hate them.  Maybe I still ride my Connie like my ZRX...........sometimes I know I do ;) but I've learned that when riding on a road with those slippery snakes every where the most important thing to do is to SLOW down a little and when you feel the bike getting squarely..........STAY WITH IT!  Tapping brakes or sudden throttle inputs will only amplify the moment.  Slow down BEFORE you reach that "OH, CRAP!!!" point.  Yes, some tires DO handle tar snakes slightly better than other but to judge a tire based on it performance while encountering tar snakes isn't a fair evaluation of a tire.

Don't misunderstand this post.  I'm not criticizing anyone in any way, shape or manner.  I'm just sharing my personal experience and $.02. :thumbs:
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2012, 01:29:29 PM »
I even have them in my own driveway.  Very slippery when wet too - even with shoes!  Not a good way to judge a tire (IMHO).  And yes, I know tar snakes are everywhere.  Perhaps a super soft tire would do better but would probably yield less than 3k miles from it.

Kind of like the Castrol oil commercial when they drain the oil out to see which engine runs the longest.  I don't know about you, put I really don't care how that test impacts my car.  Not a real world test.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington