Author Topic: 700 ft. x 150 ft. garage found on Mars  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
700 ft. x 150 ft. garage found on Mars
« on: June 07, 2011, 02:43:48 PM »
Well everyone with a KLR now has a storage garage on Mars. The structure was found by an armchair astronomer using Google Mars. Go to Bing and type "Mars Structure" and there you go. Talk about unlimited ridng area.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Re: 700 ft. x 150 ft. garage found on Mars
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 03:04:06 PM »
Cool, but it's a damn long way between gas stations and good bars with cold beer.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »
Damn good chocolate bars though.

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:43:26 PM »
think how much 'air' you could catch (if there were any).  :)
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 02:12:53 PM »
Cylinders?  Isn't that how the Martian spaceships were described in The War of the Worlds?    :o

Better keep an eye on Horsell Common, Surrey, England...

And Grovers Mills, NJ.   ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 02:36:08 PM »
It's the Shadows.....shudder...Babcom5
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 02:38:12 PM »
Cylinders?  Isn't that how the Martian spaceships were described in The War of the Worlds?    :o

Better keep an eye on Horsell Common, Surrey, England...

And Grovers Mills, NJ.   ;D

Always nice to see well read members.  it's the black clouds that are the real danger.
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 02:44:17 PM »
Always nice to see well read members.  it's the black clouds that are the real danger.

i thought they invaded new jersey first? :)

i remember as a kid listening to the record of the original broadcast...very enthralling to a ten year old.
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 09:38:56 PM »

I'll admit that I had to look up the location, but I have read the original.  I like to keep my local librarians busy.   ;D  And I'm helping finance our new library building with my overdue book fines.   ;D

i thought they invaded new jersey first? :)

Only in the radio broadcast. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 10:35:01 PM »
It's been a LOOOONG time since I read the novel.  I also have the old Task Force boardgame in storage somewhere as well.

I definitely still enjoy watching the '50's classic War Of The Worlds movie.  That enemy heat ray sound is still ingrained into my brain!

Quote from: Wikipedia
A conscious effort was made to avoid the "flying saucer" look of stereotypical UFOs. The Martian war machines (designed by Al Nozaki) were instead sleek, sinister-looking constructs shaped like manta rays floating over the ground. Three Martian war machines were made for the film, out of copper. One was modified for use in the film Robinson Crusoe on Mars (which Byron Haskin also directed) and was supposedly later melted down for a copper drive. Forrest Ackerman claimed to have owned one. It is believed that the third was destroyed in a fire.

Each machine was topped with an articulated metal arm, culminating in a cobra-like head, housing a single electronic "eye" that operated both like a periscope and a weapon. The electronic eye housed the martian "heat ray", pulsing, peering around and firing beams of red sparks, all accompanied by thrumming and a high-pitched clattering shriek when the ray was fired. The distinctive sound effect of the weapon was created by the orchestra performing the musical score, mainly through the use of violins and cellos. For many years, it was utilized as a standard "ray-gun" sound on children's television shows and the sci-fi anthology series The Outer Limits, particularly the episode "The Children of Spider County".

The machines also fired a green ray (referred to as a "skeleton beam") from their wingtips, generating a distinctive sound and exposing the interior of its target (in the case of humans, their skeletons became briefly visible) before disintegrating it. This latter weapon seems to have been substituted for the chemical weapon black smoke described in the novel. The sound effect (created by striking a high tension cable with a hammer) was reused in Star Trek: The Original Series, accompanying the launch of photon torpedos. Another prominent sound effect made by the machines is a chattering, synthesized echo, perhaps representing some kind of alien sonar, that has best been described as the sound of electronic rattlesnakes.

And here I thought someone recorded a starter motor and played around with the levels... someone will have to explain to me how an orchestral score morphed into the heat ray sound someday!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 04:41:04 AM »
I like to keep my local librarians busy.   ;D  And I'm helping finance our new library building with my overdue book fines.   ;D

You and my wife, she's not as bad now, she has a Kindle.
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 09:52:29 AM »
You and my wife, she's not as bad now, she has a Kindle.

I swear, my parents financed an entire wing of the library where we grew up.   ;D

I'd love to use a Kindle, but I can't bring in electronic devices where I work.

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »
The sound effect (created by striking a high tension cable with a hammer) was reused in Star Trek: The Original Series, accompanying the launch of photon torpedos.

Cool!!!

I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but this, I'll never forget!  ;D
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George