Author Topic: Planning a BRP ride  (Read 4339 times)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Planning a BRP ride
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:47:40 AM »
Kathy and I are planning an end-to-end ride of the BRP in late April. We plan to start in Waynsboro Va. and spend 3 days on the Parkway itself, with an additional day for the ride home. We have hit the BRP for short stretches and she has wanted to ride it in its entirety since (me too), so this is a birthday trip and we are looking for suggestions on lodging, food, attractions etc. The plan is to only cover about + -150 mi /day so we can stop and enjoy the views and local flavor. I know this is a popular destination, so I'm hoing for some good feedback. Thanks in advance!
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
Re: Planning a BRP ride
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 10:00:14 AM »
That sounds like a cold/wet ride for April. I have plans to make this trip too but it will be a mid summer thing.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 02:36:42 PM »
Once a year, I zip down the Parkway from Ottawa. May is the earliest I've ridden it, beware of snow and closed roads in the higher bits in April. After trying all the intervening months, I've settled on September. Bugs are gone, kids are back in school, temperatures are cooler.

BRP campgrounds are closed at Roanoke and Otter Creek. Lake Powhattan near the south end has hot showers!

A couple of restaurants I like, Limone's in Asheville, NC and the Bedford Social Club in Bedford VA.

This is now a Concours thing, but in the past a Yamaha Vision and an air-cooled RD350 served as my touring mounts.

65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 04:25:51 PM »
April may be a bit early due to rain and cold(you will be above 5000 ft for a while). Places that are my favorites are Clingmans Dome, Linville falls, Price lake(about a 2 mile trail goes around the lake), Moses Cone manor, Graveyard fields--can pick wild huckleberries right beside the road when in season. A side trip into Boone,NC is nice. If you have a chance eat at Peppers for sandwiches--the Jean Lawson is my favorite, or the Daniel Boone Inn if you want family style. The Mast General Store is worth a look--stepping back in time.
Enjoy  8)

rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 07:06:21 PM »
All suggestions and warnings appreciated so far. April is Kathy's Birthday, so the trip is April, we will have to deal with the weather that comes. We have the gear to deal with what we have to and the good sense to avoid what we can. We will be hotel/motel staying for this trip, camping for us involves a 31 foot motor home! Any cozy local spots along the way or bike friendly stops appreciated.

rhhalldc, love your avatar, one of our favorites of all time!
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 03:16:50 PM »
Nice little motel in Fancy Gap, VA. Don't remember the name but a mom & pop place with a diner next door. Some motels around Little Switzerland and the Pisgah Motor Lodge is nice and has a pretty good hamburger. Plenty of places in Cherokee,NC. Check out the Pink Motel--not the Ritz but another era for sure.
You're a daisy if you do ;)
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 08:19:24 PM »
I agree with the others.  I've ridden it in August and it was 30 degrees cooler at elevation than it was in the towns. 

This is the road to mount Mitchell on November 9th, 2012.  It was nice and warm down in the valley.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline insignificant

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 04:22:02 PM »
Mt Pisgah Inn is one of my favorite restaurants on the BRP. Food and service are good, and views are excellent(when there isn't heavy fog). Speaking of, be prepared for DENSE fog on the parkway with very limited visibility. Three days sounds about right. Take your time and enjoy. 

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 05:39:51 PM »
I agree with the others.  I've ridden it in August and it was 30 degrees cooler at elevation than it was in the towns. 

This is the road to mount Mitchell on November 9th, 2012.  It was nice and warm down in the valley.

Nice  8)
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 09:18:51 AM »
The BRP just north of Bedford, VA is quite nice riding. A worthy diversion is Rt 60 towards Forks of Buffalo. It takes about 30 minutes to zip down the mountain and back up to the parkway. Another diversion is rt 130 (near Big Island, Va) to US rt 501/130 to Glasgow, VA. Stay on rt130 to I-81S (just a few miles) then exit Buchanan and rt 43. It's a roller coaster ride back up to the BRP. Continuing south on the BRP into Floyd County, Va are enough diversions to keep you busy for a week of riding. But, the parkway is nice thru there. Tuggles Gap (rt 8, near Floyd, Va) has a nice little motel and good restaurant (try the Tuggles Gap pie) and they serve beer! If you are there on a Friday night, it's worth a trip to the Floyd Country Store

http://www.floydcountrystore.com/

While stopped at Tuggle's Gap, if you take Rt 8 towards Woolwine..the road winds down the mountain alongside a stream and is a real challenge to ride quickly. From Tuggle's Gap to the bottom and back takes about 20 minutes.

About an hour south of Tuggle's Gap, you'll pass one of the most photographed stops on the parkway...Mabry's Mill (restaurant should be open att).

Continuing south, there's a nice motorcycle campground (with cabins) at the Meadows of Dan exit.

http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/

While in that area, Squirrel Spur road is a wild ride and worth your time.

There are many, many other great roads that intersect the parkway in VA and NC.

BTW, gas can be scarce while riding the BRP so plan accordingly.  I keep in my tankbag-a list of exits on the BRP that have fuel.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:33:30 PM by dolomoto »

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 04:59:46 PM »
Close to BRP at Blowing Rock NC, Alpine Inn, biker managed, economical and friendly, down the road a bit (closer to Ashville),  Little Switzerland Inn, also biker friendly but not as economical. 

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 09:43:05 PM »
O I can vouch for Willville.

SInce my SO is not a camper we scheduled the cabin. Very nice with a garage to put the bike in ....

Pretty decent pricing but there is a motel just off the same exit if she is so inclined. We were very comfy at WIllville
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 03:09:08 PM »
Don't forget to get pie at Tuggle's Gap, just off the parkway.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 09:12:41 AM »
O I can vouch for Willville.

SInce my SO is not a camper we scheduled the cabin. Very nice with a garage to put the bike in ....

Pretty decent pricing but there is a motel just off the same exit if she is so inclined. We were very comfy at WIllville

Blue Ridge Motel and Restaurant
clean and low priced for an overnighter,
Restaurant was serving home made everything (home cooking..mmmmmmm).
Hopefully they are still in business, we haven't stayed there since 2010 (iirc)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Thanks all, but medical issues intervened and cancelled this trip. If all goes according to plan, we will still make the National in June.
COG 9331