Author Topic: Just bought some Aero Roper Gloves!  (Read 5685 times)

Offline seagiant

Just bought some Aero Roper Gloves!
« on: February 28, 2016, 06:57:06 AM »
Hi,
        Wondering if anyone is using these gloves?

Just bought a pair but not finding a lot of info besides Aero?

Offline clogan

Re: Just bought some Aero Roper Gloves!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 07:43:09 AM »
Haven't seen those...look like leather...nice gloves. But is there any knuckle armor? I had a get off a few years back, and my gloves saved my hands. No rash, no nothing. But the knuckle armor had MAJOR abrasion.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline seagiant

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 08:48:48 AM »
Hi,
       No they are just thick Elkskin gloves!

I guess a lot would depend how you go down?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 09:43:07 AM »
Bought a pair a few years back, sent them back, nothing wrong with them, they are just THICK dyed black elk skin farm gloves with a fancy snap added. Good price, well made, USA, but useless to me on a street bike, way to thick and cumbersome. Perfect for dual sport/adventure riding or.....roping calves, well, they are called "ropers". ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 03:34:15 PM »
Seagiant is that you? I don't recognize you without your usual pretty pictures...     ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 07:38:33 PM »
Seagiant is that you? I don't recognize you without your usual pretty pictures...     ;)

Same thing I was wondering and the real reason I looked at the posting. Twice.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline seagiant

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »
Bought a pair a few years back, sent them back, nothing wrong with them, they are just THICK dyed black elk skin farm gloves with a fancy snap added. Good price, well made, USA, but useless to me on a street bike, way to thick and cumbersome. Perfect for dual sport/adventure riding or.....roping calves, well, they are called "ropers". ;D

Hi,
       Most people love them and they are very supple to me???

But this is America, right?

Used to be anyway,  so to each their own! :)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 02:02:30 PM »
Had a pair of the natural colored ones, lasted my 10 years and were extremely comfy once broken in,  lost one while exploring off the bike and bummed me out...
I'll warn you tho, the black ones are just as tough, but have one downfall... when soaked, they will dye your hands black... and it takes a long time to get to a point they won't do that anymore... like years of riding in the rain....

The yellow ones don't dye your skin so badly...

With that explained, here's a direct and concise method for conditioning new gear... from Aerostich...
Goldstein has a good sense of humor...
"Here is an authentic (albeit nonsensical) way to fairly quickly break in your stiff brand-new Aerostich Darien Jacket, pant or riding suit:
Remove impact armor and all contents of pockets.
Soak jacket in large bucket of muddy water for fifteen minutes to three hours.
While jacket is soaking, dig, or hire someone to dig a hole in the ground large enough to bury the jacket fully.
Wad up the still-wet jacket and bury it in the hole.
Water the dirt covering the jacket liberally, as if the hole contained a plant seedling.
Wait three days, then dig up the jacket and let it air dry.
After drying out, grab the jacket by the shoulder area and whip it hard against the trunk of a large tree five or six times. (This step may also be done when the jacket is wet.)
Replace impact armor and wear the broken-in jacket with pride.
Alternatively, ignore steps 1-8 and just put on your stiff new Aerostich gear and go do some riding"

By the same token, I'll share how I broke my ropers in...

Soaked them in HOT water for 2 hours, pulled them out, stuck them outside in the shade to cool..
Put them on, and rode for six hours... or untill they were dry...
Pulled them off, left them on the seat of my bike overnight when I camped... boiled water for morning coffee, and made coffee in my coffee press, and poured the rest of the water into my empty granola bag, and inserted my gloves till I finished coffee, granola, and did my morning pooparama.. followed by another coffe while my soaked gloves cooled.. donned the gloves and rode another 8 hours, pulled them off and never worried again. Till I lost one.

Ymmv, if you have black gloves, well, I suggest using hand creme and rubber gloves under the ropers for 3 days of rinse and repeat...

Live long and prosper... nanu nanu...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 05:35:33 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline seagiant

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 05:30:42 PM »
Had a pair of the natural colored ones, lasted my 10 years and were extremely comfy once broken in,  lost one while exploring off the bike and bummed me out...
I'll warn you tho, the black ones are just as tough, but have one downfall... when soaked, they will dye your hands black... and it takes a long time to get to a point they won't do that anymore... like years of riding in the rain....

The yellow ones don't dye your skin so badly...

Hi,
        Yea, but then I wouldn't be color cordinated!!! :o

Actually I soaked mine and let them dry natually to help break them in and have had no problems?

Maybe they are using better die, but my Old Olympias will bleed like you say! :-[

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 05:44:38 PM »
Hi,
        Yea, but then I wouldn't be color cordinated!!! :o

Actually I soaked mine and let them dry natually to help break them in and have had no problems?

Maybe they are using better die, but my Old Olympias will bleed like you say! :-[

I've been thru 6 pairs of ICON vent armoured knuckle gloves since I bout my C14, all have blown out in the palm of the hand, just too thing to call protective, even the last pair, after a year, still seeped dye and stained my hands the last time I used them..
Ropers without armour are still tough enough to prevent loosing skin on a fall, and they do make a version with knuckle hand padding..
Next purchase I make for gloves will be Ropers, because I've spent $250+ for vent gloves that blew out..and neve reached the longevity apair of Ropers would..
Wow, just checked prices... I guess by todays cost, it was closer to $400 on my gloves..

http://www.revzilla.com/product/icon-pursuit-perforated-gloves
And i did like them, they just didnt last....

Ropers now...Oh, they are great for chopping and stacking firewood, and general all around use also..keeps them "supple".

Offline seagiant

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 05:59:04 PM »
Hi,
         Those ICON"s are good lookin gloves but if they don't hold up?

I wouldn't be scared of getting the Black Ropers if that is what you want!

They are supple, velvet smooth and tough!  (my opinion!)

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-elkskin-ropers.html

Offline seagiant

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 06:47:44 PM »
Hi,
        Those solid ICON"s look good at a great price! :)

The thing is with the Ropers, you could probably pass them on to your Grand Kids!!!  :thumbs:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 02:39:46 PM »
The Icon's are my go to glove. I get three seasons out of them. The last pair cost about $55. That's quite a bit of inflation.

This is tempting....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Icon-leather-gloves-motorcycle-gloves-racing-gloves-gloves-off-road-riding-gloves-knight-gloves/32606803240.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.1.QNFfUo&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_3_10057_10056_10065_10068_10055_10067_10054_10069_10059_10058_418_10073_10017_10070_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_3&btsid=7de51662-73a3-4768-9e70-60d999a6c29f

Those ain't Icon's.... I have a pair right here next to me, Icon Pursuit Vented ones....
Look closely, they don't have the Icon logo on the rubber spearhead shaped spot on the back of the hand, nor do they have the Icon logo moulded into the wrist strap... and the snap on the inside wrist is not the same as Icon uses..
Also they don't show you the tags,

So, you get what you pay for.

But, even at that price, I guess if the palms don't blow out like every pair I've owned, you might be ahead... ordering from China...

These knockoffs at least have the logo, on the hand... but are still knockoffs... the vented Pursuits have twice as many vent holes as the ones pictured on the site.....
Better price
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Men-Motorcycle-Gloves-Outdoor-Sports-Full-Finger-Motorcycle-Riding-Protective-Armor-Black-Short-Leather-Gloves-Free/32575833235.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.5.iIf9wC&scm=1007.13338.47322.0&pvid=15b6655b-eba5-488b-9150-ba30077171cf&tpp=1

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 03:00:41 PM »
Those ain't Icon's.... I have a pair right here next to me, Icon Pursuit Vented ones....

I'm a fan of the ICON Pursuit gloves as well - I have a vented pair and a non-vented pair.

I saw those on AliExpress, and was wondering if maybe they were 'seconds' or something similar, but if you watch for the sales, you can sometimes find the real ones for as low as $35 or so...  I haven't looked in a while, since mine are holding up well.

I haven't noticed any colour-bleed from mine, but then I have treated the non-vented pair with a leather waterproofer (silicone-based, I think) and they keep my hands relatively dry in anything but a deluge.  Haven't had much call for them this year though - pretty dry season around these parts...

I've been thru 6 pairs of ICON vent armoured knuckle gloves...
I don't do a tenth of the miles of some riders (probably way less than MOB) but the only thing that has gone wrong with mine is the little plastic snap on the back broke...  No biggie, but it was nice to snap them together when they weren't being worn.

I'd certainly recommend them...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 03:49:08 PM »
I do love the gloves for comfort, just hate the fact the palm of the hands all are so thin, im thinking I get about 10k miles outta a pair..so I buy a pair evry other set of tires....heheheheh