Author Topic: Sd to oregon to pa  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Dan

Sd to oregon to pa
« on: August 05, 2011, 12:55:05 PM »
Got to go back home, been looking at rts by Mr pepsi, and a few others.   Any tips for this east coast c10 rider, from the west coast members is appreciated.

Thanks Dan from lancaster PA...

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: Sd to oregon to pa
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:48:08 PM »
Got to go back home, been looking at rts by Mr pepsi, and a few others.   Any tips for this east coast c10 rider, from the west coast members is appreciated.

Thanks Dan from lancaster PA...

Dan, posting here for everyone's benefit, instead of in a PM reply.

For those just joining us, Dan is commuting from San Diego to Lancaster PA, via the PNW.  He's looking for routes that will make it a beautiful ride, hopefully avoiding the Interstates.  He has 2 weeks available for his ride.  Feel free to chime in here, as the more options presented, the less likely he'll miss anything he'll regret later.

Dan,  are you tent camping, or motel camping?  Once you start heading east of Hwy 97, you need to spend more time thinking about fuel stops, and destinations for the day.  On the north side of the Columbia River at Hwy 97 is the Stonehenge replica War Memorial, and Maryhills Castle.  Those are good for a quick break to stretch your legs.

Some of the big sites to see in the PNW are things like Mt. St Helens, the Columbia River Gorge. Crater Lake, etc.  If you have 2 weeks, you might consider taking a day to run north up to the Johnston Ridge Observatory (46.277682,-122.216463), and check out the Mt St. Helens crater.  From Portland it's about 300 miles round trip, and a beautiful motorcycle riding road.  You can even take Hyw 30 to Longview, and avoid I-5.

Coming up from Cali, there is the Giant Redwoods, maybe Mt Shasta (though it's just another big snow capped mountain from a distance), and the 101 drive up the coast.  The Rouge River valley is really cool, but that would take you off of 101.

If you were planning on spending any time site seeing off the bike, there is lots more stuff, but to ride while site seeing, it's mostly landscape type features.

When my buddy and I went through Montana last year, we used Hwy 12 all the way across.  It was a good run, and we made really good time.  I think the only time we touched I-90 was from Helena south east about 15 miles, then back onto 12 all the way to Sturgis.

When you came through Yellowstone, which route / road did you take?  It may be worth taking the northern route east through the park if you missed it the first time.

I'll keep thinking about stuff to see, as I know there's more than I'm remembering right now.

When you know what day you'll be arriving in the Portland area, let me know.  If I'm available. I'll show you around.  I'm supposed to go on a all day ride tomorrow, and I work all week.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Dan

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 01:03:55 PM »
Thanks for the tips...

I am hitting hotels....  And traveling alone...

I appreciate the tips, I will do most pf my st seeing on the bike....

I entered the se side of yellowstone thru cody, might hit the hot springs, and exit and hit the bear tooth pass....

I am excited to go, yet sad to leave some great friends I have here in SD....

Thanks for the tip, and I usually statrt to look for gas anytime after 100 miles...  And I have the gps, 2 of em for back up....

The connie is runnin great, just got an oil change, she is ready to take me home....
Thanks again,
Ltr
Dan

Offline Dan

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 09:08:47 AM »
Well guys headed north today....
Headed up the 15...

Leaving at 9am, got to get thru LA...
Then to san jose....

Got a friend there.

Have a good day..

Dan from Lancaster PA.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:11:48 AM »
Good luck to you and ride safe.
I work in Alameda and live in San Francisco if you need a contact.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline atilla457

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 03:07:36 AM »
have fun and ride safe.

if you need a place to stay, I'm open in sunnnyvale.
2009 Concours 14 ABS - Black