Author Topic: Mixed Coolants - Need to flush?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
Mixed Coolants - Need to flush?
« on: August 23, 2018, 01:20:08 PM »
Hey folks, when I got my Concours last month, it had a coolant leak and the overflow reservoir was empty. Undid the radiator cap and saw that it had blue coolant in it. I tightened the hose clamp that was leaking and had some engine ice laying around, so put that in the overflow tank. Just talked to the mechanic who did the job and he said he used Honda Type 2 coolant. Do I need to flush the system because they are different types of coolants? Engine ice is Propylene Glycol while Honda Type 2 is ethylene glycol. I've been reading that they gel up if mixed together.

Going to be buying some distilled water for the flush and refill with Engine Ice afterwards. Thoughts?
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline jwh20

Re: Mixed Coolants - Need to flush?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 02:34:46 PM »
You should not mix different type of coolant.  So yes, if you (or anyone) mistakenly mixed different types, you should, drain, flush, and refill with an appropriate type.  While it's not specified by Kawasaki, I do like Engine Ice coolant.  I've not noticed any difference in cooling while using it but I like it because it's non-toxic.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 03:01:28 PM »
Kawasaki brand "Aluma Cool" product is an ethylene glycol base.
I can't say if that is what 'comes in it from the factory' tho, I would assume ethylene glycol base did.

as for flushing... why waste distilled water..?
flush a couple times with tap water first (drain, fill, run, drain), then do a single distilled water flush, as the final step, before adding whatever different type coolant you chose.
Lots of nooks and crannies to get cleaned trying to accomplish it in one single flush.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 03:00:53 PM »
Distilled water is $1.50 a gallon. Not enough to get excited about.

YMMV.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 09:08:00 PM »
Just went ahead and did it. Thanks for the replies. I kept the left lower fairing in place when taking the drain bolt out, prevented me from making a mess as the fluid just hit the fairing and made its way down to the catch pan
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline flashback50

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 03:49:19 PM »
I wondered how much water will stay in the system when doing a water flush. If filling with 50/50 after will you have a true 50/50 mix because of trapped water in system?

Offline jwh20

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 04:42:17 PM »
I wondered how much water will stay in the system when doing a water flush. If filling with 50/50 after will you have a true 50/50 mix because of trapped water in system?

Not enough stays in the system to significantly impact your 50:50 ratio.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 05:49:07 PM »
compare the quantity drained, to the fill' it should clarify any suspicions...

Total Amount 3.4 L (3.6 US qt)
(Reserve tank full level, including radiator and engine)

during replacement, it's such a small cooling system, it should be evident, and clear, the the flush and refill (again, measured quantities) have indeed been satisfied.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..