Author Topic: Walgreens pharmacist fired for saving co-workers  (Read 10589 times)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Walgreens pharmacist fired for saving co-workers
« on: May 18, 2011, 09:03:06 PM »
This one hits close to home for me as this is where I live.... Sort of; it is the other side of town from where I live.

Walgreens pharmacist fired for saving co-workers.

On May 8th Jeremy Hoven, a night shift pharmacist at a Benton Township, Michigan Walgreens, fired his legally carried pistol to defend the lives of himself and his co-workers from two armed assailants that attempted to force the co-workers into a back room. The assailants fled the scene and he and his co-workers escaped injury.

Mr. Hoven has since been fired by Walgreens.

Link to story: http://heraldpalladium.com/articles/...ws/4820927.txt

Link to Walgreens' Consumer Relations page: http://www.walgreens.com/marketing/c...sp?h1=Customer service &h2=Other service&h3=Corporate&h4=consumer

Please tell Walgreens how you feel about their decision.

Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: Walgreens pharmacist fired for saving co-workers
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:37:09 PM »
I wonder if Walgrens has a store policy against employees carrying? If so, and he knew about, then regardless of his license he would likely be fired. If not, then they are certainly in the wrong. I happen to feel he did the right thing.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:03:17 PM »
The PR fallout is gonna be brutal though....

YoDoc

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »
When I was in college, the first time, I delivered pizza. One of my co-workers was fired for fighting back when someone tried to mug him. Josh had no weapon with him, he just beat this guy silly, then called the cops and an ambulance. He got fired because the official company policy was do not fight, just do what they want.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
According to Walgreens it is better to be a victim than a hero
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 05:33:42 AM »
May 19, 2011

Dear Tony,

Thank you for taking your time to contact our Corporate Offices. We appreciate hearing from our customers and value all comments received.

Thank you for contacting Walgreens regarding this matter. Our policies in this area are designed to maintain the maximum safety of our customers and employees.Store employees receive comprehensive training on our company’s robbery procedures and how to react and respond to a potential robbery situation. In past incidents, employees have told us they’ve found this training effective.These policies and training programs are endorsed by law enforcement, which strongly advises against confrontation of crime suspects.Compliance is safer than confrontation. Through this practice, we have been able to maintain an exemplary record of safety.We’ve made significant investments in security technology in recent years, including increasing the number of digital surveillance cameras at our stores.With upgrades to security technology, we are able to provide police with high-resolution photographs and video of crime suspects.We continue to invest in state-of-the-art security measures and high-definition surveillance equipment and hope that the apprehension of robbery suspects in the Benton Harbor area will prevent future crimes. Thank you for contacting Walgreens to share your comments.

Again, thank you for contacting our corporate office. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments.

Sincerely,

Rori R
Consumer Response Representative

Ref # 3083779
Tony P. Crochet

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 05:44:46 AM »
Ask the other employees how they feel about not being at the mercy of bad guys with guns. The response from Walgreens does not mention a no gun policy. Spin? It only " strongly advises". I'm not sure I would want to work for a company that advises you to submit to terror and murder.

Offline Leo

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 06:31:43 AM »
Big corporations do not care if they put their employees in jepardy.  Those decision makers are asleep in their beds when the bad guys are around.  Of course, if an employee gets wacked, they wring their hands and talk about the tragedy while enjoying legal isolation because the criminal was not an employee.  Every statement I have ever read includes "we do everything they can for the safety of the employees and customers".  What exactly are they doing?  Nothing!   
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 06:44:26 AM »
.... Every statement I have ever read includes "we do everything they can for the safety of the employees and customers".  What exactly are they doing?  Nothing!

Benton Harbor is sadly riddled with crime due to many facets including but not limited to drug use, and unemployment and has many 3rd generation welfare burdens...... If Walgreens cares so deeply for the safety of it's employ and customer base then why in the world do they not employ 24 hour armed security measures in high risk locations such as this?
Tony P. Crochet

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 12:06:18 PM »
Tell that to the employees who died in these incidents at the hands of Paul Dennis Reid:

Captain D's

At Captain D's on Lebanon Road in Donelson, Tennessee, on the morning of February 16, 1997, Reid entered the store before opening, under the guise of applying for a job. Once inside, he forced employee Sarah Jackson, 16, and the manager, Steve Hampton, 25, into the restaurant's cooler and bound their hands and feet. Reid forced the two to lie on the floor and then shot them execution style. Money, including large amounts of change, was found missing from the cash register. Reid used the cash from this robbery as a down payment on a car two days later.

McDonald's

At McDonald's on Lebanon Road in Hermitage, Tennessee, on the evening of March 23, 1997, Reid approached two employees behind the store after closing. At gunpoint, he forced them back into the restaurant. Reid shot three employees to death execution style in the storeroom: Andrea Brown, 17; Ronald Santiago, 27; and Robert A. Sewell, Jr., 23. Reid attempted to shoot José Antonio Ramirez Gonzalez, but his weapon failed. Reid then stabbed Gonzalez 17 times and left him for dead. Gonzalez avoided further attacks by lying completely still and pretending to be deceased. Reid then took US$3000 from the cash registers and fled.[6] When the scene was discovered, Gonzalez was taken to the hospital, treated, and ultimately survived. He eventually testified against Reid.

Baskin-Robbins

At Baskin-Robbins on Wilma Rudolph Boulevard in Clarksville, Tennessee, on the evening of April 23, 1997, Reid went to the door after closing and persuaded the employees to let him inside. Once inside, Reid kidnapped Angela Holmes, 21, and Michelle Mace, 16 and forced the two to Dunbar Cave State Park. Their bodies were discovered the next day on a lake shore with their throats cut.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »
When seconds count 911 is only minutes away.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 01:09:09 PM »
When seconds count 911 is only minutes away.

But a 1911 could be seconds away. :)

Yeah it is always shoved under the rug, when victims fully comply with a criminal "and still get killed or injured". The stupid companies don't care about their employees or even their customers, they only care about their image "good or bad". I have no respect or tolerance for companies that won't allow an employee to protect themselves and others, you take a risk either way........comply and someone still dies, or empty a magazine in the piece of crap........I will take my chances with me and my weapon. Hell your still a victim either way!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 01:13:35 PM »
But a 1911 could be seconds away. :)

--Snip--

True dat.

I think I'll try my hand at boycotting Walgreens, my father has well over 20 prescriptions with them.  Time to locate another pharm.

Bergmenized

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 01:40:38 PM »
Benton Harbor is sadly riddled with crime due to many facets including but not limited to drug use, and unemployment and has many 3rd generation welfare burdens...... If Walgreens cares so deeply for the safety of it's employ and customer base then why in the world do they not employ 24 hour armed security measures in high risk locations such as this?

"...which strongly advises against confrontation of crime suspects."

A policy that enables armed criminal activity without threat of an armed response. What deters them if they think they can get away with it?

Armed crimes are greatly discouraged if there are legally armed citizens that the thugs may encounter (but we know that, too bad the policymakers couldn't care less).

JMHO

Dan

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 01:43:58 PM »
I’m certain this decision and decisions like it are made by the lawyers and believe that the corporation has less chance of law suit. What needs to happen is for people to sue these same companies for not allowing them to properly defend themselves.

YoDoc

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 02:49:15 PM »
I’m certain this decision and decisions like it are made by the lawyers and believe that the corporation has less chance of law suit. What needs to happen is for people to sue these same companies for not allowing them to properly defend themselves.

It's private property. Since the 1930's (I think) when the supreme court upheld that corporations are entitled to most of the same rights as individuals, including the right to own and dispose of property, there's not a durn thing to be done. The suit would get tossed as frivolous, citing private property. The other sad part is that the judge would likely tell the families of the deceased or wounded, "Well, he/she didn't have to work THERE, now did he/she?"

Offline throb

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 06:36:37 PM »
On May 8th Jeremy Hoven, a night shift pharmacist at a Benton Township, Michigan Walgreens, fired his legally carried pistol to defend the lives of himself and his co-workers from two armed assailants that attempted to force the co-workers into a back room. The assailants fled the scene and he and his co-workers escaped injury.

It seems to me the only thing that needs comment is that Mr. Hoven needs to improve his aim.  They shouldn't have been able to flee the scene.  An armed society is a polite society.   ;)
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 10:04:13 PM »
I wrote that I won't do business with Walgreens until/unless they reverse their handling of this.  I don't expect this to make much difference.  I think it was Pizza Hut a similar thing to one of their delivery drivers a few years back.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »
FYI, the reply that T-Cro had is one of their canned responses. I know this because my message got the exact same reply even though I briefly addressed the response the T-Cro had.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 05:55:37 PM »
And you expected anything different? Proves they don't care what a few radical gun nuts think. They dn't want you in their stores, anyway.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
Re: According to Walgreens it is better to be a victim than a hero
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 03:25:01 PM »
They want us to be sheep...  kind, gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another by accident...

May 19, 2011

Dear Tony,

Thank you for taking your time to contact our Corporate Offices. We appreciate hearing from our customers and value all comments received.

Thank you for contacting Walgreens regarding this matter. Our policies in this area are designed to maintain the maximum safety of our customers and employees.Store employees receive comprehensive training on our company’s robbery procedures and how to react and respond to a potential robbery situation. In past incidents, employees have told us they’ve found this training effective.These policies and training programs are endorsed by law enforcement, which strongly advises against confrontation of crime suspects.Compliance is safer than confrontation. Through this practice, we have been able to maintain an exemplary record of safety.We’ve made significant investments in security technology in recent years, including increasing the number of digital surveillance cameras at our stores.With upgrades to security technology, we are able to provide police with high-resolution photographs and video of crime suspects.We continue to invest in state-of-the-art security measures and high-definition surveillance equipment and hope that the apprehension of robbery suspects in the Benton Harbor area will prevent future crimes. Thank you for contacting Walgreens to share your comments.

Again, thank you for contacting our corporate office. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments.

Sincerely,

Rori R
Consumer Response Representative

Ref # 3083779
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George