Author Topic: Ugh... the call no parent wants to get late at night  (Read 9240 times)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Re: Ugh... the call no parent wants to get late at night
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 10:18:15 PM »
You could sell a set of Ohlin's and one or two Stitch suits to cover it.  :rotflmao:

I know, I know not a laughing matter, but I bet a set of Ohlin's would fix the Volvo.  :P

Ya, probably time for bed.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 10:21:13 PM »
I'll write you a check for $6500 for that slow black connie and deliver it tonight if it will help your daughter 8)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 10:36:15 PM »
One of my biggest fears, and the relief of knowing she was OK was also very intense I am sure. Good thing she was in one of the safest cars, those Volvo's are good cars for that. My son is all we have, and he means more to me than anything or anyone. One of life's lesson learned, and a learning experience for all.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 10:38:20 PM »
Got the report back from the shop, the Volvo is toast...  :(

I've heard people say a door is a jar, you're the first to say a Volvo is toast. Man, that's a big toaster!

You can buy another Volvo, can't buy another daughter. Well I guess you can, but it'd probably look different.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 10:41:53 PM »
 :grouphug: :chugbeer:

I love you guys, you're all the best, thanks for the support and keeping me smiling through this!  :) :chugbeer:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 10:54:06 PM »
:grouphug: :chugbeer:

I love you guys, you're all the best, thanks for the support and keeping me smiling through this!  :) :chugbeer:

Give her the Beemer, I have a 74 Pinto out back, put a heater in her and a tarp over the window areas for a few days and she'll nice and dry for you to use 8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 11:00:46 PM »
Give her the Beemer, I have a 74 Pinto out back, put a heater in her and a tarp over the window areas for a few days and she'll nice and dry for you to use 8)

:rotflmao: :thumbs:

Ya, I'm debating many options right now Chet, I'm leaning towards just buying mama a new car and then having her car be the new ride for our daughter, mama is coming due for something new...  :-\

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 12:30:04 AM »
Got the report back from the shop, the Volvo is toast...  :(

LF STRUT
RF WHEEL
RF TIRE
RF LOWER CONTROL ARM ASSY
RF BRAKE SPLASH SHEILD
RF KNUCKLE W/ABS
HUB
BEARING
INNER SEAL
OUTER SEAL
RF STRUT
RF AXLE ASSY
RF SWAY BAR LINK
RF INNER TIE ROD
RF OUTER TIE ROD
FRT SUB FRAME
FRT EXAUST PIPE GASKET
RF FENDER
RF SIGNAL

= $6500

:banghead:

Total loss and all out of pocket...  :'(

That list and total price looks like full dealer pricing for parts and labor.  Have you considered getting a second opinion from a different shop?  Honestly, that looks like a list one would submit for a insurance claim.

So how attached is she to that car anyway? 
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 04:43:38 AM »

Ya, I'm debating many options right now Chet, I'm leaning towards just buying mama a new car and then having her car be the new ride for our daughter, mama is coming due for something new...  :-\

Get your daughter a nice safe pick-up J. I hear that this one is for sale, it may take a bit longer to dry out than Chet's Pinto though...

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 09:19:01 AM »
Get your daughter a nice safe pick-up J. I hear that this one is for sale, it may take a bit longer to dry out than Chet's Pinto though...

:rotflmao:

That list and total price looks like full dealer pricing for parts and labor.  Have you considered getting a second opinion from a different shop?  Honestly, that looks like a list one would submit for a insurance claim.

So how attached is she to that car anyway?

Yep, the $6500 is for new parts Rob, they said if I wanted to go used parts it would probably be about half that, but even at $3k to fix it's just not worth it to me, I'm gonna move on... bettter to put a grand in my pocket and move on IMO then take $3k out of my pocket to fix it...

If you want to buy it as it is Rob give me a call, but do it soon because I'm gonna be making some calls today to try and unload it fast... The title is clean and clear because no insurance is involved. You up for a project? I know you have the space.  ;)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »

Kinda what I did when I got the Jetta. 

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »
Yep, the $6500 is for new parts Rob, they said if I wanted to go used parts it would probably be about half that, but even at $3k to fix it's just not worth it to me, I'm gonna move on... bettter to put a grand in my pocket and move on IMO then take $3k out of my pocket to fix it...

If you want to buy it as it is Rob give me a call, but do it soon because I'm gonna be making some calls today to try and unload it fast... The title is clean and clear because no insurance is involved. You up for a project? I know you have the space.  ;)

No thanks Jay, I've got enough projects sitting on shelves. ;)  Plus, Volvo isn't my cup of tea.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 11:29:37 AM »
No thanks Jay, I've got enough projects sitting on shelves. ;)  Plus, Volvo isn't my cup of tea.

No worries bro, totally understand.  :chugbeer:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 07:02:18 PM »
Well I sold the Volvo today for $850 as is...  >:(

Had $12k into it...  :'(   :banghead:

I think I'm getting the short end of the stick here, somehow I'm now buying mama a new car and her current car will now be the car for our daughter to drive...  ??? :-\ :-[

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 08:05:17 PM »
Well, that sucks. It definitely did it's job well though. I believe I'd look for another. Damn safe cars.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2012, 01:00:46 AM »
Bummer deal there Jay for certain.  At $12K, you should have sprung for full coverage.  Good thing I didn't buy it though, I picked up a new project today.  Shop is getting full, had to kick out one of the trailers tonight. ;)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2012, 06:20:54 AM »
ZG, If you start selling off farkles to finance the cars can I have dibs on the Ohlins?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2012, 09:58:21 AM »
ZG, If you start selling off farkles to finance the cars can I have dibs on the Ohlins?

:rotflmao:     Not a chance GP!  ;D :chugbeer:

Bummer deal there Jay for certain.  At $12K, you should have sprung for full coverage.  Good thing I didn't buy it though, I picked up a new project today.  Shop is getting full, had to kick out one of the trailers tonight. ;)

So do tell Rob, what's the new project bro?  ??? :popcorn:

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2012, 12:31:04 AM »
So do tell Rob, what's the new project bro?  ??? :popcorn:

It's a sparkling (metallic) red 2004 RX-8 GT model (ABS, Traction control, Stability control, 18" wheels/45 series tires w/ only 6K miles, 6 speed manual, full leather, heated seats, auto adjusting Xenon projector headlights, electric power steering, power everything really).  Really sweet ride!   ;D

Now I'm completely out of shelf space.   ::)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2012, 10:15:13 AM »
Very cool, congrats Rob!  :thumbs: :chugbeer: