Author Topic: Error code 24, speed sensor : SOLVED  (Read 5578 times)

Offline ginzburg

Re: Error code 24, speed sensor
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2019, 08:14:00 PM »
The Ktrac light is normally off. It turns on when it is disabled.

My oil cooler looks pretty much exactly the same from the crash bar hitting it. I looked up how much it cost and decided it was fine. The MSRP is $580. What could possibly be in this thing? I don't know what could go wrong with it.

I also had to replace a motor mount. It did not come with the right sized washers installed. They are very thick and you might not know what they are supposed to like if you didn't know what to look for.

Offline Jgiacobbe

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2019, 09:39:49 PM »
Thanks Ginzburg.

After studying the wiring diagram for a bit and re-reading the section for error 24 in the manual, I think I have a handle on my next steps. I'm going to get my father to come over and help. My colorblindness is enough that I cannot correctly identify the wires at the ECU. With the ECU disconnected we will check continuity for the 2 wires that run from the sensor to the ECU. The grounds are good so it is one of the other that is damaged. I am assuming for now the KTRC light is on because I either don't know how to turn it on or off, or because without the speed sensor reading the unit is lacking needed data.

When you turn on/off KTRC, does anything show on the LCD? Given that my LCD is always taken over by the FI error I would not know. I did decipher the two circles with the partial arc representing the amount of linked braking.

I'm looking forward to getting to the bottom of this and enjoying my C14.

Offline ginzburg

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2019, 11:27:57 PM »
KTRC is always armed when you turn on the bike. The light comes on, but it turns off after rolling a short distance. I don't know the exact details of that. It seems to go off at the same time as the ABS light. I believe there is no indicator for it on the LCD unless it is armed and actually operating.

Each time you turn on the bike, you need to press the KTRC button for a few seconds until the KTRC light turns on. The KTRC light solidly on means that it is disarmed.

The ground I was very suspicious of when checking the grounds for the FI error is located under the gas tank.

Offline Jgiacobbe

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 09:05:31 PM »
Well, if the blue/yellow wire we located going to the ECU is the correct one, then there is a break in the wire. The bl/y wire at the cluster tested through to the sensor but the bl/y wire at the ECU didn't.

Pulled the tank and windshield off. The tank so we could see more of the harness and the windshield to get to the back of the gage cluster. Cover around the harness under the tank is all intact. Going to dig a little more and do more continuity testing to try and isolate the bad spot.

From what I can see, most of the police stuff was slices to the accessory wires or to the harness closer to the lights.

Offline Jgiacobbe

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2019, 06:19:37 PM »
The mystery deepens. Started tracing wires in the harness. No evidence of rodents. Unwrapped it in a couple places to find the wire I am looking for, which is the elusive blue/yellow stripe wire that goes to the ECU from the speed sensor. Well, you know how sometimes you get what you are asking for but it totally might not be what you want?

I found the blue with yellow stripe wire taped inside the harness near the ECU. This raises a very new question though. The wiring diagram only shows one blue with yellow stripe wire going to the ECU. So where does this one that is in the ECU plug go since it doesn't go to the speed sensor. The one my finger is touching is blue with yellow stripe and does connect to the speed sensor.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2019, 07:13:23 PM »
well, wee've spken about after production spliced in wires.. and how they relate I just tuned in, but I''ll let Mr Ginberg continue to give content to attempt assisting..please understand the difference of a C14 owner from '07 thru to today, that has ripped his bike apart, to give an answer, vs well, someone that bought a bike last year.in The morning, I will revisit, and analyze further.. a lot of "CONjecture" has been tossed out so far, I think you can weed thru it a bit, and hopefully find the final "answer".

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Jgiacobbe

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2019, 08:35:22 PM »
MoB, I found the culprit. You were correct, it was due to after market police accessory wiring. The little blue/yellow cable I found is the speed sensor output cable for the ECU. It had been unplugged and tapped against the harness. It was well hidden. The other Blue/Yellow wire is for one of the fuel injectors.

We discovered in place of the blue/yellow wire in the other ECU connector (the one of the left side of the bike) a different wire/pin had been put into the connector. The wire had spd-lmir printed on it. It appear the fuzz did have another piece of equipment inline with the speed sensor. Whoever de-fuzzed the bike just unhooked that connection and taped it against the harness.

So after lots of looking at all the diagrams in the book we realized the order of the wires in the diagram matched the order in the connector. So we verified them one by one just to verify we were not imaging that. Then we checked the diagram and traced the other BL/Y wire and verified it goes to the injector. That pretty much cinched it so we put the tank back on and jumpered the loose BL/Y wire to the loose SPD-LMIR wire that came from the ECU. Turned the bike on and turned the rear wheel with my foot and the error went away. Also the KTRC light started flashing like it was waiting to engage after the bike moved, similar to ABS startup. I could press the KRTC button and change it to off.

So one final question because I have not done a permanent connection with my wire. The BL/Y speed sensor wire has the original female pin for the plug on the end. Anyone know how to remove the pin from added pin from the ECU plug so I can put this original one back? I'd rather do that than splice these two wires together. If anyone has a link to the correct pin extraction tool that would be awesome.

Could of been done a couple hours sooner but we did lots of double checking of the wires because I did not want to brick that ECU at all. I checked everything in the diagram and on the bike and then would have dad double check me.

MoB, thanks for pointing me to this bike. It was a pain to get this last issue tracked down but I am so psyched now. Also this means I don't have to show up at your house some random weekend asking for help tracking it down. Now I can show up and we can go riding.

Edit: in the last post you can see a bullet connector toward the bottom of the pic. This is the SPD-LMIR wire that replaced the Speed sensor wire in the ECU plug.

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2019, 10:48:51 PM »
So one final question because I have not done a permanent connection with my wire. The BL/Y speed sensor wire has the original female pin for the plug on the end. Anyone know how to remove the pin from added pin from the ECU plug so I can put this original one back? I'd rather do that than splice these two wires together. If anyone has a link to the correct pin extraction tool that would be awesome.

This is probably the easiest part. When you pull out the plug you can see a small white tab in the centre on one side and two on the outer edges on the opposite side. Press down on the single one with a small screwdriver or such. It will click and the two on the other side will pop up. It is now unlocked. Pull the un needed wire, being careful not to dislodge any other wire and then insert the blue/yellow in its place. Check that it is all the way home and push the two white tabs back in. It should click into the locked position.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline Freddy

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2019, 04:09:09 AM »
  :goodpost:   Well done folks.   :banana :chugbeer:
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2019, 05:35:18 AM »
Indeed.

So, what was with that?  Cruise control maybe?  More restrictive speed limiter?  External data logger?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jgiacobbe

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2019, 07:31:23 AM »
No clue what was there. Maybe speed indicator input for rolling radar or speed overlay for a camera.

If I have free time this evening, I'll try to pop that pin out and swap the OE pin/wire back in.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2019, 03:04:35 PM »
No clue what was there. Maybe speed indicator input for rolling radar or speed overlay for a camera.

Ah, didn't think of those!

As a side comment, I think Kawasaki's wiring is very good and reliable.  It seems the only problems reported end up being when someone has tampered with it (to add sensors, or additional equipment, or moved the bundles and didn't tie it back the same, etc).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jgiacobbe

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2019, 10:39:26 AM »
Unlocking the pin from the plug was easy as described. Got to ride the bike error free for the first time last night. Quickly decided I should not leave the dash on the mileage readout.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2019, 11:18:36 AM »
Unlocking the pin from the plug was easy as described. Got to ride the bike error free for the first time last night. Quickly decided I should not leave the dash on the mileage readout.

:rotflmao:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2019, 01:52:41 PM »
That's fantastic Jeremy... I'm proud of you, to stick with it, and follow up...

(Some times us Old Men do have a sense of what "could" be the root cause...)

Short of me having the bike in front of me, to go over just as you did, I was betting there was something that the Outfitter's "spliced in" for the "cop stuff", that was not rectified when all the equipment was removed.

Great job man, now go play and enjoy your bike without watching the silly dashboard flash at ya... cooolllll

Ride safe,
Oh, now that you have that all rectified, might be time to ride a couple days, then send off your ECU to my pal Steve, in Fla., for his Mountain Runner Premium flash... it is well worth it, and will make this bike feel like the monster that it truly is inside... Turn around time is less than a week, probably like 4 days for you in Va.
it impressed the hell out of me, and I don't impress easily...
Unleash the Kraken....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2019, 02:00:58 PM »
Oh, now that you have that all rectified, might be time to ride a couple days, then send off your ECU to my pal Steve, in Fla., for his Mountain Runner Premium flash... it is well worth it, and will make this bike feel like the monster that it truly is inside...

+1
Ride it for a while, until you are comfortable, in all styles (especially fast).  Then flash it and be amazed.

Turn around time is less than a week, probably like 4 days for you in Va.

He is?  Yet another of us Virginians? I must have missed that (I went back and skimmed all posts- saw nothing still).  Where in VA?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2019, 02:03:35 PM »
Richmond,
he's part of the Richmond ADV gang,  I miss those guys every day....fun bunch of peoples...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2019, 03:41:02 PM »
Richmond,  he's part of the Richmond ADV gang,

Ah.  I am biking to Richmond tomorrow morning! (rt.5)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2019, 05:13:16 PM »
Ah.  I am biking to Richmond tomorrow morning! (rt.5)

We affectionately call that the "5 and Dime" ride, out 5, cross on the ferry at Jamestown, then along to the Surry Restaurant for brunching, then back to Petersburg into R'town via 10.  really nice morning ride. Ferry is free... and a pleasant cruise...

Ya made me look, because I hate it when places close up, and I say "stop here"... I don't see that the old Surry restaurant is shown any more.. but I would suggest a cool spot...
https://surryseafoodco.com/

it's not to far after you leave the ferry, and make a right turn off 31... looks like good food.. I dunno, we always were riding thru before they opened...
let me know if it's good... it should be, right on the water like that...

Offline Jgiacobbe

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2019, 09:28:15 PM »
Yep, out of the west end of Richmond. I don't do the 5 and dime. I feel it is a boring ride. I did it for a new years ride maybe 3-4 years ago with a random group from Richmond. Broke from the group after a dude went down on the approach to the ferry and broke his arm. Sitting there just over the crest of a hill blind to traffic coming from behind me, and a drink guy walks out of his house and starts lecturing me about people riding too fast.

I don't ride with random large groups anymore. Usually I ride west to 56 and 39.