Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 853012 times)

Offline Jrodizzle07

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #1080 on: April 16, 2015, 02:30:12 PM »
I saw a while back a module that would turn off when the voltage dropped below a certain point to leave you enough power to be able to turn back on. I'm trying to find it...

https://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/

This is along the same lines and could probably be adapted, still looking for the original thing I had seen before.
Jarrod
Boone NC
2012 Concours, 2000 Vmax, 2003 XT225

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #1081 on: April 16, 2015, 03:10:28 PM »
https://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/

Hmmmm...

Not sure you'd want to let the battery drain enough to have it cut off power, and if you set the voltage cutoff high enough that the drain was minimal, I can see there being starting issues - imagine the power kicking out whenever you pressed the starter button...  And I don't want to cut all the power - just the circuits that'd be cut by turning the key off anyway... 

Maybe possible, but certainly beyond my meager skills to adapt it... 

I think a timed solution is the way to go...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline tomp

« Reply #1082 on: April 16, 2015, 03:38:05 PM »
Sounds interesting, but for me just something else to fail.  I'll stick with locking the forks. When the proposed system is completed, post up, as I would like to see it.  My Dyna doesn't need a key, but the power switch on the tank needs to be turned off after riding.  I forgot to do that only once.  Door nail dead battery discovered at an inopportune time. 

Heavy thunderstorms here today, I could only think about riding on my day off.  Same tomorrow.  Looks like I may be able to commute to work by C14 next week.  Hope all have a wonderful weekend. 
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #1083 on: April 16, 2015, 04:01:55 PM »
I really enjoyed the ride to work today. Low 40s when I left. Had the heated liner, seat and grips going. Very comfy, and the bike was a jet. 75 on the way home with my heated liner and heavier gloves in the bags. That bike can really do it all. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #1084 on: April 16, 2015, 04:17:37 PM »
If there was only a way to know if I turned off my ignition switch.....
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline tomp

« Reply #1085 on: April 16, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »
If there was only a way to know if I turned off my ignition switch.....
LOCK YOUR FORKS!!!   :) ;) :D ;D

I guess you were referring to Master Kipass, right..... tp

Went out with fob and turned Master Kipass to on position, took fob out of range to see if the system would shut off automatically.  It didn't, but when I turned it off,  the "no transponder" warning blinked at me a while until the screen went blank. 

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #1086 on: April 16, 2015, 04:26:35 PM »
I can't honestly tell you the last time I DIDN'T use the ignition switch to turn off a motorcycle. Why would a person use the kill switch? None of my street cars or trucks have a kill switch.  :nuts:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline tomp

« Reply #1087 on: April 16, 2015, 04:36:58 PM »
I can't honestly tell you the last time I DIDN'T use the ignition switch to turn off a motorcycle. Why would a person use the kill switch? None of my street cars or trucks have a kill switch.  :nuts:
Normally because the kill/emergency/engine off switch is conveniently thumb operated, and a hand doesn't need to be removed from front brake actuation to turn off the ignition.  At least that's what I have read in countless forum posts from many different model owners.  Kill switch usage, yay or nay, seems to be a hot topic on most all motorcycle forums, for some reason. 

I use the Kill switch, then turn off the ignition, by locking the forks, then place the kill switch back to the 'on' position, so I won't wonder why the damn thing won't start with the next use. 

Personally, I liked the way my old dirt bikes worked.  Give it a kick,  it started.  To kill the engine press the button on the handle bars with left thumb.  Rinnnnnggg ding ding ding, da dinnnnnnnngggg...

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #1088 on: April 17, 2015, 12:23:27 AM »
Check out the beeper modules you can install that make it beep like a car will when you leave it turned to on and the engine off. I've heard a few people talking about them on here before.
Words of wisdom wasted on deaf ears?..or so it would seem.

warning buzzer I installed this (no not today) and also installed a flashing LED in parallel with the buzzer. Helps me respond a little faster when I'm slow in removing the ear plugs.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1089 on: April 17, 2015, 04:20:35 AM »
I turn the key to on, start the bike, ride the bike, stop the bike, turn the key to off.  Never had an issue.  Don't use the kill switch at all.  It has cobwebs on it.  Don't lock the forks either.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1090 on: April 17, 2015, 05:15:06 AM »
Those of us, not independently wealthy, go there to keep a roof over our heads and food in our bellies.  No one has to work, it seems, as almost half of our nation is on some form of government welfare.  I'm going to work to feed and house them too, as some one's gotta do it. 

Beautiful outside right now,but Severe thunder storms heading this way, so no real riding will be done today or tomorrow.  My tires do need a couple of pounds of air, and I'll do that before riding again.

Independently wealthy? If only...

I'm just a poor ex working stiff who put in his 30 years working for the state as a civil service worker who is now enjoying NOT working immensely! 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline rwnielsen

« Reply #1091 on: April 17, 2015, 07:34:53 AM »
I turn the key to on, start the bike, ride the bike, stop the bike, turn the key to off.  Never had an issue.  Don't use the kill switch at all.  It has cobwebs on it.  Don't lock the forks either.

That's how I do it

Offline tomp

« Reply #1092 on: April 17, 2015, 09:03:59 AM »
Yeah, but you are the admin, and as such, you have, unknown to mere mortals, super memory powers, that allow you to see random negative possibilities, and steer clear of them.  At least that's what I've heard... tp ;D

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #1093 on: April 17, 2015, 09:53:20 AM »
That's how I do it

Me too.  When I remember.

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1094 on: April 17, 2015, 10:40:39 AM »
Yeah, but you are the admin, and as such, you have, unknown to mere mortals, super memory powers, that allow you to see random negative possibilities, and steer clear of them.  At least that's what I've heard... tp ;D

Believe me, I've seen quite a few random negative possibilities here in my time..  The entertainment never ends.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tomp

« Reply #1095 on: April 17, 2015, 10:56:08 AM »
Believe me, I've seen quite a few random negative possibilities here in my time..  The entertainment never ends.
TOLD YA. . .tp  8)

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #1096 on: April 17, 2015, 11:50:12 AM »
See, FartMarty knew what I was talking about! I knew I saw the install on one of these forums lol... Personally I use the kill switch because I just hit the button with my thumb and leave the bike in gear, then open the glovebox up, then turn off the ignition switch... and leave the key of course, I do love that about the system.
Jarrod
Boone NC
2012 Concours, 2000 Vmax, 2003 XT225

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1097 on: April 17, 2015, 01:21:46 PM »
Nothing goes together like warning lights and warning buzzers.

If only someone would come out with a Plug 'n Play version of that thing..... if only....

Brian

Words of wisdom wasted on deaf ears?..or so it would seem.

warning buzzer I installed this (no not today) and also installed a flashing LED in parallel with the buzzer. Helps me respond a little faster when I'm slow in removing the ear plugs.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1098 on: April 17, 2015, 01:23:44 PM »
Quit dreaming.  It ain't gonna happen.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1099 on: April 17, 2015, 01:32:48 PM »
Of course you are correct.

But still, if it did happen, in some hypothetical universe, I wonder what it would look like?

Brian

Quit dreaming.  It ain't gonna happen.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com