Author Topic: Links to Canyon Cage threads..  (Read 4150 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Links to Canyon Cage threads..
« on: January 21, 2014, 01:33:51 PM »
Thought I'd put together a clearing house of Canyon Cage threads.  I'm getting ready to do mine (really I am) and I wanted to review what was out there on our forum.  There's probably more threads, not quite done mining...

Sigh, it would help if I put in a link to the links...  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16292.0
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

Re: Links to Canyon Cage threads..
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 02:11:33 PM »
So ... this is a link to the link to the links?  :P

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 02:15:31 PM »
Exactly!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 05:00:14 PM »
  I'm getting ready to do mine (really I am) and I wanted to review what was out there on our forum. 
So, this is kinda like an oil thread ;)  Only, slippery 8)  Or a "Tire" thread with no tread :o

Offline phoneman

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 05:37:23 PM »
  Anybody got a set of Canyon cages lying around ?

Just wondering.   ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 06:35:48 PM »
I really wouldn't know... ::)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 08:56:38 PM »
  Anybody got a set of Canyon cages lying around ?

Just wondering.   ;D
Offer Jim a bottle of single malt scotch, he is easy that way :)

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 03:11:12 AM »
Thought I'd put together a clearing house of Canyon Cage threads.  I'm getting ready to do mine (really I am) and I wanted to review what was out there on our forum.

Really? Pics or it didn't happen...lol! Come on...you can do it!!  :)

Offline clogan

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 10:01:03 AM »
I found the Canyon Cage install very simple and easy. 20 minutes, front and back, to do the install alone, no help. There have been numerous threads and links to this subject, and now a link to the links...so many in fact that I am beginning to think that I must have overlooked something. Perhaps the reason I found it easy was that I skipped a critical step, or am oblivious to some sort of unstated risk of catastrophe.

Did I miss something? I can think of no other reason for the numerous and lengthy discussions of something so simple.

So, now I am scaring myself. Am I at risk every time I ride because of this thing I missed? I crashed and nearly killed myself a couple of years ago...don't want to do that again!!!
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 10:11:27 AM »
I like to read up on any installation and gather all the information that I can.  Installing CCs is a topic that comes up multiple times and I consider it a hot topic so to speak.  I do believe that the installation is a bit different for the gen 1s vs the gen 2s.  Those links talk about both bikes.  I wish I could condense it all into one document but I don't have the time for that....therefore the links.  Search on the forum can be difficult as spelling and names for the same components can vary.  One can either avail themselves of the information or not, totally up to them.  I find it useful.  We also have various levels of technical expertise from virtually non-existent to master mechanic.  I find myself in the middle.

I would think that as you've installed your CCs successfully you should have nothing to worry about unless they vibrate loose and your engine comes loose from the frame. ::) ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 03:05:05 PM »
I found the Canyon Cage install very simple and easy. 20 minutes, front and back, to do the install alone, no help.

???
It took me AND a professional mechanic working on it over an hour to do just the fronts on a 2nd gen.  Of course, the biggest two problems were insane amounts of thread lock, and not having the correct took for the top bolts (a speed wrench of the correct size and wobble/flex)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline clogan

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 03:59:11 PM »
Back on Halloween day, 2011, I high sided my Rocket III Triumph on the interstate at 75 mph. I was cruising along at 70 or so, hit the throttle a bit, and suddenly developed a death wobble tank slapper. Next thing I know, a lady is holding my head in her hands, telling me I've been in a crash. All I remember is the wobble.

I'll always wonder if anything I did to the bike was to blame. I've always done my own maintenance, repairs, installs, etc. Maybe I screwed something up???
I have no training, except for a little bit learned working in my dad's Esso station back in the 60's.
 ( note to you younger guys: before there was Exxon, it was called Esso).
Anyhow, maybe I did something, or failed to do something, that caused my Rocket to wobble. But it was sure scary, and a close call. Lots of luck, ATGATT, and a guardian angel saved me to ride another day.

Y'all be careful with your CC installs. Follow all instructions, don't get in a hurry. Do it right the first time.

And put the Connie on the center stand, NOT the side stand, to do the install.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400