Author Topic: BMW K1600 GTK Exclusive (with "Keyless Ride")  (Read 10071 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
BMW K1600 GTK Exclusive (with "Keyless Ride")
« on: May 20, 2014, 12:32:15 AM »
I had the chance to check what it feels when a small planet changes orbit or, in other words, when a 800 lb "bike" is moving. I won't go into details about the ride because it's irrelevant, much like a 7-series with 2 wheels missing. But what I did appreciate was the clever Keyless Ride thing that BMW put on this model. As opposed to KI-PASS, you get a fob that you can put in your pocket and never, ever take it out.

Here's why. I store my helmet in the side cases of my C14, so every single time I approach or leave the bike I have to fumble with a key, be it the one from the ignition or the one in the fob, in order to retrieve or leave the helmet. This implies every single ride. I also need a key every time I want to refuel, which depending on the context (travel or commuting) I'd say it involves 1 every 10 rides in average. About 1-2 times a year (if at all) I might lift the seat, which needs a key on both the BMW and the C14.

On the BMW, the side cases, top case, the fuel tank and of course ignition itself are key less. You can use the key for the side cases, but there's a locking button on the right handlebar that locks/unlocks them just as well (when the fob is in range). Opening the gas cap is also only possible with the fob within range, just like the ignition. The cap doesn't even have a keyhole. THAT's the way it should be.

Get it, Kawasaki? (or just give me a freaking normal key and spend the KI-PASS money on driving modes!!!)

EDIT: I forgot about the remote control function of the fob to lock/unlock the cases. Sounds neat, but in my unit it didn't always work, not sure why...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:30:35 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline texrider

Re: BMW K1600 GTK Exclusive (with "Keyless Ride")
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 05:33:28 AM »
If you're going to dance with the big girls, you'd best keep your FOB in your pocket!  :o ;D
2014 Valkyrie

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 06:08:28 AM »
I'm amazed at the functionality of  beemer 1600 FOBs too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:26:59 AM »
Well, one thing for certain...
With several new advances in technology in the past few years, like automotive-style CC, electronically adjustable suspension on the fly, key fob technology, riding mode settings for remapping, ABS, and traction control settings, ride by wire throttles, multi-adjustable seat positions, tire technology, headlight technology, etc..

Kawasaki should have no problem with improvement ideas for the next Connie.

Shame they've let it get so far behind the class leaders by sitting on their laurels so long.

It's outrageous what I've spent on personal improvements on mine, to make it the way I want it.
Some, not a big deal, a personal choice... Some- should have already been on the bike, IMHO.

But, when it comes to the technology race, you're either in it... Or not.
Personally, now that I have my bike the way I want it, if they were to release a new and improved model I doubt I would trade.

For me... they've blown it. They waited too long.

I plan to ride mine for many more years to come.
Shoot... I kinda have to! I still owe about $5k more til it's paid for! Lol

Sadly, if I hadn't had to spend so much extra to get the bike livable for me, it would have been paid for by now. (2 years.)

Plus, not to mention how much value these things lose on resale!

2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »
Pretty sad when Harley Davidson has a better system than Kawasaki.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
Pretty sad when Harley Davidson has a better system than Kawasaki.
Not when you consider that's the best thing about the HD.  :)

Offline Gsun

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 07:16:54 PM »
BMW = $$$$$$$$

You can have whatever you want if you throw enough money at it. Those unlocking cases, gas cap, etc. probably cost a few hundred bucks. Would be nice, but so would heated seats, cruise, one touch adjustable suspension, etc., etc. MONEY! Your Connie could be 30K too!
Personally, I have spent maybe 3K in farkles and I'm good!

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 07:58:49 PM »
BMW = $$$$$$$$

You can have whatever you want if you throw enough money at it. Those unlocking cases, gas cap, etc. probably cost a few hundred bucks. Would be nice, but so would heated seats, cruise, one touch adjustable suspension, etc., etc. MONEY! Your Connie could be 30K too!
Personally, I have spent maybe 3K in farkles and I'm good!

One thing I've noticed, as the new technologies are coming to market, and finding their places on new bikes, the manufacturers don't seem to be raising prices that way. Ie; 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300.
They've added most of the new things I mentioned, yet the MSRP has stayed relatively the same.

The only outlandish costs I see lately has been when you have to buy these things in the aftermarket!
Seems if it's something made for a motorcycle, the starting price is around $300, regardless of what it is.

My hope is that technology, coupled with competition and public demand, will see these upgrades as part of the next C14, while keeping the competitive edge and maintaining the MSRP as it is currently.

If Kawasaki follows Yamaha's lead and does this, the next C14 will once again kick the competition's azz and regain the throne it once had as king of the SST's.

All I can say is, they've certainly had plenty of time to roll out the next killer bike.

Martin_14, I totally agree with what you're saying. It is a drag having to dig for a key so often. PITA!
Especially when it obviously doesn't have to be that way... (those crafty Europeans... Lol)
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline Gsun

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 10:43:42 PM »
The FJR has electronic adjustable suspension and cruise. And an adjustable rider seat. Other things are the about same as the Connie. The MSRP is 800 bucks more. There is the suspension upcharge. The FJR has a 5 speed. There is the cruise. It has a one year warranty. There is the seat. The FJR is ride by wire. Good? Maybe.
Over all, it really does not have a lot more. And no KIPASS!!!! That could be good...but a cost difference. There is the ride by wire and more.
The BMW has a lot more features.

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 06:04:26 AM »
Shame they've let it get so far behind the class leaders by sitting on their laurels so long.
But in the mean time Kaw has come out with a new ZX14R, ZX10, 636, Z1000, Ninja 1000....

It's not that Kaw is sittin around doing nothing, it's just where the C14 is in their development cycle. With all the ST's that have come out since the last time Kaw touched the C14, I'm sure a new one is on the horizon??  With all the ST's from the competition I'm sure Kaw isn't going to wait 20yrs to update it like the C10.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:43:11 AM by CADMAN97 »
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 06:32:00 AM »
...With all the ST's from the competition I'm sure Kaw isn't going to wait 20yrs to update it like the C10.

of course not. It's not like it ever happened...  ;)

Offline texrider

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 06:42:07 AM »
Honda for one has made a sharp turn away from the S/T market, going instead with FB6 bagger wing, and that strange CTX cruiser tour thing.
Yamaha only refreshed the FJR somewhat, no new bike.
BMW always will build whatever it wants to, and has loyal fans.
The Triumph Trophy is much more like a BMW or Wing than it is a Connie or FJR.
Don't see any new S/T entries under 700 lbs on the horizon, within the 12-1400 cc range.
Adventure tour is hot now, and using up a lot of oxygen in the MC world it would seem.
Our Connies may soon be considered classics of a bygone day!
2014 Valkyrie

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 07:21:46 AM »

Our Connies may soon be considered classics of a bygone day!

...and worth 25 cents on the dollar.  :(

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 12:54:36 PM »
Pretty sad when we are too damn lazy to reach into our pockets for an ignition key!
And none of this kind of stuff makes the bike any better.
Why don't we get someone else to ride the bike for us, too?
Rant mode off.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 07:32:38 AM »
Pretty sad when we are too damn lazy to reach into our pockets for an ignition key!
And none of this kind of stuff makes the bike any better.
Why don't we get someone else to ride the bike for us, too?
Rant mode off.

a bike will ride exactly the same with keyless stuff or not, but I'd rather have the full keyless thing. It's just more comfortable. I can call home dialing (typing  ;)) the number, or I can speed-dial by pressing and holding the #2 on my mobile phone. Both let me talk to the family, the second is just easier.
The point of my post was not to analyse the advantages or need of such system, but the half-way implementation of it by Kawasaki, compared to the much more accomplished implementation by BMW.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:30:30 AM by martin_14 »

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 07:57:40 AM »
a bike will ride exactly the same with keyless stuff or not, but I'd rather have the full keyless thing. It's just more comfortable. I can call home dialing (typing  ;)) the number, or I can speed-dial by pressing and holding the #2 on my mobile phone. Both let me talk to the family, the second is just easier.
The point of my post was not to analyse the advantages or need of such system, but the half-way implementation of it by Kawasaki, compared to the much more achieved implementation by BMW.

^^^ good post
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
+1 Martin 14.
I got where you were coming from, and feel the same way.

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 09:48:25 AM »
While i came from a harley that had a real keyless system, bags included! I can honeslty say i have become used to the connies system, my only complaint woudl be that it would be nice to leave the saddlebags unlocked.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 10:38:27 AM »
Just saw this thread. So you are saying BMW really hit one out of the park (American euphemism meaning they did a fantastic job)..... other than the part about the fantastic part (the saddlebags are keyless) didn't quite work?  ;)

But my curiosity is regarding the fuel lock- there is no mechanical override? Just curious but what happens when (not if) the lock solenoid fails? How does one open the cap to fix / replace it?

Brian

<snip>

Opening the gas cap is also only possible with the fob within range, just like the ignition. The cap doesn't even have a keyhole. THAT's the way it should be.

Get it, Kawasaki? (or just give me a freaking normal key and spend the KI-PASS money on driving modes!!!)

EDIT: I forgot about the remote control function of the fob to lock/unlock the cases. Sounds neat, but in my unit it didn't always work, not sure why...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 10:51:44 AM »
Just saw this thread too. No doubt having all that functionality in a truly keyless system would be nice. But I got to believe that would add some serious bucks to the bottom line of the bike.