Author Topic: Looking for Murphs Shad trunk feedback  (Read 2205 times)

Offline kzz1king

Looking for Murphs Shad trunk feedback
« on: May 06, 2018, 04:35:32 PM »
Looking at trunks. I have been against them but dislike not having secure place for helmet when long distance traveling.Looking at the Shad 46 that Murphs sells with the rail kit. Anyone use this combo? Pics?  Just dont want to spend the dollars for Phils rack and a Givi.

Whitney looks too cheap.Liked the Coocase but seems tough to get in country. I am thinking I will only have this on for long trips once or twice a year.
Thanks
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Looking for Murphs Shad trunk feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 05:06:55 PM »
I've had it for years, works fine.  At least I think that's what I have.  Not sure about too many things these days.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VP01

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 07:34:35 PM »
+1 on Virginia Jim's commentary, assuming he does, in fact, have a Shad (I suspect he does).

I've had one for years. I electrified it for LED lighting and have used it interchangeably between my C14 and my C10, when I owned that C10. It is good reliable gear that has served me well and has proven itself to be quite functional and versatile. I have purchased from Murph's, and when he didn't have the parts I needed, I've ordered through Shadonline.  However, given my druthers, my first preference is always to order from Murph's whenever I can because of service, value, and fitment, and because if we're talking Concours, Murph's needs to fit into the consideration equation.

Still, there might be several items to be clear on, and it may be a good idea to contact Murph's first: 1) Shad's website indicates a change to the top plastic surround from clear to black. I don't know if this conforms to your aesthetic ideals or if this represents what actually will be shipped, but it may be worth finding out exactly what is what; 2) You mention Murph's rail kit for the Shad. If I'm not mistaken the rail kit is for mounting the top case on a C10. I used it with my C10/Shad combination and it worked perfectly. You can even add washers and longer bolts to get the top case to level out to your exact preferences. Again, check with Murph's to be sure; 3) The C14 uses a mounting plate that I see Murph's also carries. I've used this too, and it has worked perfectly, bolting directly over he plastic tail rack. Again, got questions, contact Murph's.

A final thought: The tail end of the C14 is lofty and constantly reminds me that the C14 is a big-boned gal. I throw a leg over the C14 to mount carefully stretching my leg out in the knowledge that I have to clear the side cases. Throw in the Shad on top of the rear rack and I'm kicking like a Radio City Rockette in my efforts to get aboard without my boot marring anything up too badly.

Good luck with your decision.

HTH

Ted--     

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 05:37:34 AM »
A final thought:

Yay for your first post! 

The tail end of the C14 is lofty and constantly reminds me that the C14 is a big-boned gal. I throw a leg over the C14 to mount carefully stretching my leg out in the knowledge that I have to clear the side cases. Throw in the Shad on top of the rear rack and I'm kicking like a Radio City Rockette in my efforts to get aboard without my boot marring anything up too badly.

Simply change the way you mount.  Face the bike, hold the left grip with left hand, pick up your right leg, bend at knee, then extend over seat, then twist body to face forward after leg is over.  Zero damage, ever.  Of course, it does require a bit more flexibility, and some people are not able to do it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 08:15:40 AM »
At the time I bought mine, Murph was offering color coded top panels so mine matches the bike color.  I also got the metal mounting plate which is infinitely more sturdy than the rear plastic sandwich carrier.  DO NOT MOUNT ANYTHING OF VALUE TO THAT PLASTIC POS!

I don't have any issues mounting from the left side of the bike and having the top case get in the way.  Your boot/shoe/sandle/barefoot will scrape the right side case though at times depending on your mood.  I've added the protective covering on both side cases which protects the case but still shows the boot marks.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 08:28:54 AM »
I got the shad 50. I think it’s hard to have too much luggage space so I went with the biggest, the 50. I got the silver lid top which matches the bikes silver real well, and the rack. I only have the shad mounting kit on my plastic stock rack. Rack is still fine after 7 years. I did replace the shad mounting plate as it had a few hairline cracks around the bolt holes.
I keep it on the bike all the time and use it more than the panniers when shopping and commuting as it is easier to use. It’s also my go to bag to store my helmet .
Hopefully next year, I’ll go cross country on it, store light stuff in a bag fastened to that rack on top, put a duffle bag between me and that trunk.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 09:16:55 AM »
I got the shad 50. I think it’s hard to have too much luggage space so I went with the biggest, the 50.

Just throwin' this out there: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-v56nnt-56l-maxia-4-monokey-top-case

56 liters, so 12% bigger than a 50 liter. May not seem like much, but 6 more liters is three more 2 liter soda bottles.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 09:34:34 AM »
Just throwin' this out there: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-v56nnt-56l-maxia-4-monokey-top-case

56 liters, so 12% bigger than a 50 liter. May not seem like much, but 6 more liters is three more 2 liter soda bottles.
That’s what I went with (mainly because I got a smokin’ deal on a used one). I did have to buy Givi’s mounting kit for it (I wasn’t sure if Phil’s rack would work) and I do like how the Givi’s rack is mounted on separate points on the tail section.  (You DO have to drill into the rear tail panels to install the rack though, that might make some shy away from it).

As far as the Givi goes, it’s huge, solid and the mono key system works great.  So what if it looks like I’m tailgating with a Weber?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:03:57 AM by Rubber_Snake »
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 10:01:38 AM »

As far as the Givi goes, it’s huge, solid and the mono key system works s great.  So what if it looks like I’m tailgating with a Weber?

One of my buddies who doesn't have a top case calls mine a dingleberry.

I never, ever mind that dingleberry when I stop somewhere and can lock my helmet, jacket, gloves etc in it ... while he has to carry his  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 02:45:01 PM by Conniesaki »

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »
No getting around it, top cases are ugly. Just bought a new Schuberth and it is hard for me to just hang it on the crash bar like the old Nolan.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline katata1100

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 11:45:25 AM »
I disagree. My Shad 50 looks like it belongs on the bike. It helps that it’s the same color .
It takes just seconds to remove it if I want to, but since I got it, never saw the need to.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 02:12:55 PM »
I have a Shad 46l trunk I got off an Ebay auction for a steal years back. $125 shipped for a color matched top, backrest and aluminum mounting plate for the C14.

I never put helmets in it as I always have stuff in there and I bought the ProjektD dual helmet lock that mounts just below the trunk.

I was patient and just waited for something to come up and lucked out when nobody else bid on the item and I got it for my initial bid price (no reserve). Maybe you can get lucky like that sometime as well?!
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Gscott

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 05:50:19 AM »
Check out the new expandable Shad, 3 deferent settings. 46 to 56 liters.