Author Topic: crossthreaded and broke an engine bolt off.....NEED HELP  (Read 4853 times)

Offline Elfmaze

crossthreaded and broke an engine bolt off.....NEED HELP
« on: April 19, 2012, 04:55:25 PM »
OK guys if ever i needed help here it is.....  i was working on installing my bars with a universal joint in the torque wrench.  There was a bit of resistance but the hole was full of red locktight so i though it might be normal....

Bolt head snapped off in the engine mount....

I dug into it as much as i could, the amount of torque on it was huge i guess buy it hadn't triggered the 44ft lbs yet.  I tried grabbing it with vice grips but they just twist when i try turn it out...  I'm flat outa ideas

Offline Elfmaze

Re: crossthreaded and broke an engine bolt off.....NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 05:04:53 PM »
I feel a little better after seeing the micro fiche.  its a $35 bracket that is possibly dead,  but any ideas to get it out  or should i just replace the bracket?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »
In my opinion, it will be well worth $35 to start over with cleanly machined holes for the fasteners.

The only effective way to remove that fastener is almost certainly to drill it out. The first drills through the bolt can be very small but the final drill bit size will have to be close to the root diameter of the bolt. As the hole drilled will almost certainly not be centered or perfectly straight, it is likely some threads will be damaged in the removal of that stud from the aluminum casting.

Best of luck either way,
Brian

I feel a little better after seeing the micro fiche.  its a $35 bracket that is possibly dead,  but any ideas to get it out  or should i just replace the bracket?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »
The fiche on ron ayers is for 2010  this is a 2011.   It should be the same part correct?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:41:09 PM »
If your in a rush a you or a local machine shop can drill that out and install a heli-coil, spin a new bolt in and your done.  I'd spend the $35 personally.

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 11:13:18 PM »
www.kawasaki.com website have an excellent parts fiche, right up to 2012 model. i always use that site to look up part numbers.

from main website -> owners info -> parts diagram

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 05:13:10 PM »
I would try using a dremel and a cutoff wheel to create a 1/4" deep "slot" so you can turn it out with a screwdriver.  Once you drill, you have no other choices...
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 05:14:35 PM »
If your in a rush a you or a local machine shop can drill that out and install a heli-coil, spin a new bolt in and your done.  I'd spend the $35 personally.

+1 on the helicoil...I have R/C airplanes that have aluminum heads and if you tighten up the glow plug too much, you have to use the helicoils.  They're fine to use and the motor runs perfectly fine with it (no compression leaks).
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 06:21:45 PM »
OK we were abel to get it out!  one of my friends took the bracket off and welded a bar to the bolt end.  we were able to then really torque it out.  I ordered the new bracket and the new bolt torqued properly so I'll keep an eye on it and probably swap out the bracket next service   :chugbeer:

Lesson learned.   24" torque wrenches are scary amount of force and should be respected around delicate mechanics!!!

Offline Ddfee

• Be the person your dog thinks you are
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 06:03:55 PM »
When bolts break off, drill it out then use the appropriate sized "ez-out." there available from tool stores, shouldn't damage anything.

Dave
2011 C14
2003 Honda GL 1800
2000 Honda Blackbird
IBA Member

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 06:37:20 PM »
When bolts break off, drill it out then use the appropriate sized "ez-out." there available from tool stores, shouldn't damage anything.

Dave

please, note that the problem has been corrected.
also note the content in the thread prior to the point of your answer.
thanks,

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 08:50:28 PM »

Dave
I'm not sure the easy out would have given us the torque needed to wrench this one out.  It was REALLY jammed in there.   But i didn't know easy outs existed so I will keep them in mind for standard breaks in the future!

Offline rwilliamm

• 2012 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 03:50:01 PM »
Too late to mention this but I would have used a grinder to make a new flat spot on 2 opposite sides then grab again with the vice grips.