Author Topic: Do you sit on your bike when filling with gas?  (Read 13449 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Do you sit on your bike when filling with gas?
« on: September 03, 2015, 08:00:52 AM »
I know people who do this. I never have because I am worried about splashing gas on myself. This video gives me a new reason not to do it.

http://youtu.be/SohoobuWr9c

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Do you sit on your bike when filling with gas?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 08:05:53 AM »
 :yikes:

I always get off the bike.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:35:50 AM »
x2. Always off the bike and put it on the centerstand to get it full.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 08:45:26 AM »
I've seen bike vent out fuel from the cap when overfilled and parked in the sun. So I only fill to the top if I don't plan on stopping for awhile. I leave my helmet on, but take my gloves off. And I'm always off the bike.
Oh yeah, I always use my stove knob key. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »
Yes, sitting on the bike with both feet down and I fill just to the bottom of the filler neck.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 01:11:34 PM »
I happen to like my reproductive parts, and I don't like burns, so I always get off the bike, you may think you are getting more fuel in by putting it on the center stand or straddling the bike as opposed to the side stand, its minimal at best. The offset filler hole on my Triumph lets me fill it to the top, HD and others has been doing it for years.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 01:51:24 PM »
Mama always told me I'd better wear clean underwear every day just in case. I don't think she ever envisioned this.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 02:12:58 PM »
very strang this is here today, last night I stopped to pick up smokes at my corner station, and watched a fellow pull up on his bike, stick the stand down, and proceded to fill the bike while sitting, I thought "that ain't too smart", as I would never do this...

when I came back out the door, I saw him  over fill while clicking the pump lever to get that last teaspoon.... I had to chuckle as he then tried to get off the bike while holding the nozzle, and he banged it on his tank pretty stoutly because he lost his balance.... then slammed the nozzle into the pump, walked over and got paper towles and the windshield squeegee, and washed the tank down.... as I pulled out I gave him a thumbs up, nice job.... and a head nod...
I don't think he was amused.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 02:17:28 PM »
Yes, sitting on the bike with both feet down and I fill just to the bottom of the filler neck.

+1

Been working for me 109,000+ miles on this bike, and trillions of more miles on others.  Now I'll be worried about my privates  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 02:19:17 PM »
No.

I've seen bike vent out fuel from the cap when overfilled and parked in the sun. So I only fill to the top if I don't plan on stopping for awhile. I leave my helmet on, but take my gloves off. And I'm always off the bike.
Oh yeah, I always use my stove knob key. 8)

:yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 02:32:11 PM »
Sitting on the bike both feet down as well. Haven't burnt anything in 30 yrs. I have a feeling that video has more to do with user error....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 02:50:29 PM »
very strang this is here today, last night I stopped to pick up smokes at my corner station, and watched a fellow pull up on his bike, stick the stand down, and proceded to fill the bike while sitting, I thought "that ain't too smart", as I would never do this...

when I came back out the door, I saw him  over fill while clicking the pump lever to get that last teaspoon.... I had to chuckle as he then tried to get off the bike while holding the nozzle, and he banged it on his tank pretty stoutly because he lost his balance.... then slammed the nozzle into the pump, walked over and got paper towles and the windshield squeegee, and washed the tank down.... as I pulled out I gave him a thumbs up, nice job.... and a head nod...
I don't think he was amused.

That's what I worry about, spilling gas on myself then smelling like gas the rest of the day and bringing jeans home to momma smelling like gas (she don't like that). Never thought about a fire. I think I'll continue the practice of getting off the bike.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
Sitting on the bike both feet down as well. Haven't burnt anything in 30 yrs. I have a feeling that video has more to do with user error....

No doubt. But I know I'm prone to error... at times.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 03:44:53 PM »
When I am rolling on, I fill while straddling the bike and immediately ride off.  I don't overfill.  If I am taking a break, I do that first and then fill up before I head out
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 04:40:46 PM »

This.

Looks like this guy left his bike running.

The whole static think is a myth.
I guess can understand not wanting to splash gas on yourself, bit have yet to, so...
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 05:30:27 PM »
I fuel my bikes while sitting on them mostly because the few times when I have fueled my bikes when sitting on someone else's bike, they seem to get annoyed.... 

Yep, sit on the bike, put bike on sidestand and proceed to get as much fuel in the tank as I possible can. I do not spill fuel on the outside of the tank as that is not desirable. All aspects of this are under my control and so I just do not spill but I do get the tank full (a C-14 tank will hold over 6.0 gallons, not bad for a 5.8 gallon tank at all IMO). When I am in a hurry, such as trying to get across America, I leave the engine running, sit on the bike an fuel it and while fueling, I reset tripmeter 'A' and the fuel economy readout, both of which require the ignition be left on to accomplish.

I think the key to this whole thing is 1) maintaining control and 2) being careful and prudent while getting the job done... not entirely unlike prom night (Easy Boys!).   :rotflmao:

But then again, nothing wrong with getting off the bike either and not even trying to fill it while sitting on it.... not unlike an early prom night.  ;)  Whatever 'floats your boat' works for me.

Brian

I know people who do this. I never have because I am worried about splashing gas on myself. This video gives me a new reason not to do it.

http://youtu.be/SohoobuWr9c
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 11:47:57 PM »
This.

Looks like this guy left his bike running.

The whole static think is a myth.
I guess can understand not wanting to splash gas on yourself, bit have yet to, so...

No, it isn't. 

http://www.cyberphysics.co.uk/topics/electricity/static/static_dangers.htm

http://www.esdjournal.com/static/Static_Fires.pdf

http://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas-overview/consumer-information/use-energy-safely/staying-safe-pump

If it was, the aviation companies I worked for would not have spent the time and money training us in safe fueling practices, the U.S. gov't would not have spent taxpayer's money training me in ESD-safe procedures for electronic components and flammable substances, and certifying me for explosives handling.  I spend a large part of each day wearing my ESD grounding strap while doing my job. 

Electro-static discharge is a very real danger around flammable substances and things that can go BOOM.  If you want to take that risk yourself, then that's your right.  But it's not a good idea to go on a forum and tell others that it's a myth.  Static discharge is very real, and although it rarely causes a problem, it certainly CAN, and when you least expect it. 

Personally, I will do everything I can to avoid waking up in the burn ward with a piece of someone else's butt-skin grafted onto my face.

Be safe.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 07:20:39 AM »
As the story goes.... Curtis LeMay was walking up to a fully fueled and armed B-17 when some kid with a stripe on his arm stopped him and told him (LeMay) he could not go to the plane with a lit cigar. LeMay asked why not? The kid stammered 'because of all the gas- it might catch on fire'. LeMay growled "It wouldn't Dare!" and proceeded on his way to the plane and Germany.

;D ;D

Brian

No, it isn't. 

http://www.cyberphysics.co.uk/topics/electricity/static/static_dangers.htm

http://www.esdjournal.com/static/Static_Fires.pdf

http://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas-overview/consumer-information/use-energy-safely/staying-safe-pump

If it was, the aviation companies I worked for would not have spent the time and money training us in safe fueling practices, the U.S. gov't would not have spent taxpayer's money training me in ESD-safe procedures for electronic components and flammable substances, and certifying me for explosives handling.  I spend a large part of each day wearing my ESD grounding strap while doing my job. 

Electro-static discharge is a very real danger around flammable substances and things that can go BOOM.  If you want to take that risk yourself, then that's your right.  But it's not a good idea to go on a forum and tell others that it's a myth.  Static discharge is very real, and although it rarely causes a problem, it certainly CAN, and when you least expect it. 

Personally, I will do everything I can to avoid waking up in the burn ward with a piece of someone else's butt-skin grafted onto my face.

Be safe.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 08:07:43 AM »
Only takes once. Ironic how many wear AGATT and have never been in a crash but put themselves into a very dangerous situation on purpose numerous times a week without a thought and argue how they've never had a problem because they know how to be safe and can remember all the safe things every time, yet, many here also argue how they could never remember to turn off a manual fuel tap. How can you say putting a nozzle that flows flammable liquid out at gallons per minute, inches from your lap, inches from a red hot motor, all the while clothed in gear that for some makes us a bit less mobile and agile?  Its a good habit and a safe practice to get off the bike while refueling. 
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 08:27:24 AM »
A great big NOOOOOO!  Besides, it's a good time to stretch your legs, hit the head, or drink some fluids.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5