Author Topic: Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter revisited.  (Read 51873 times)

Offline JamminJere

Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter revisited.
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:47:01 PM »
I know we had a couple of good threads on the old board about the Fuel Pump and some of the problems/issues with dirty fuel over time. AussieDave (RIP) was one of the first to experience this and some of the other far riders down under..We have it in an FAQ here on the site.. However the pictures are no longer visible for me to see.

I would think every C14 will have problems with this and about 4 or 5 other models that use the same pump, (ZX6 ZX14 our bike, etc)... its just a matter of time/mileage. We basically have a fuel pump that has an internal fuel filter. Mama Kaw does not mention anything about it in the Service Manual. All fuel systems have a filter somewhere.. most are serviceable.  There are no parts available from Kaw for the fuel pump. The parts fische shows one part number/ complete fuel pump for $344.00 US today.. I've seen OEM pumps on ebay for $279.00.

What happens is eventually the filter/screen clogs with fine sediment from dirt in the gas, the pump struggles to maintain rail pressure for the injectors, it cavatates and will not be able to fuel the engine in the higher rpms, and when bad enough, the bike surges on and off like someone is playing with the kill switch. It did NOT throw an FI code on the ECU.  Can you service it yourself? And save the $300 bucks for gas when there is nothing else wrong with the pump?  Sure if you are careful.

Run the tank down well into reserve, or if you have a pump, you can pump the fuel out of the tank into a container. Remove the tank and flip it upside down on a blanket...

remove the 5 bolts holding the fuel pump in the tank.. and then remove the pump. You will have to move one of the clips to free the wire going to the pump assy.  Bring it to the bench...

Now.. looking at the bottom of the pump, behind the two wire terminals on the left side pictured, is where the fuel inlet is to the pump. By design, nothing large can get in there.. so how do we get in?

There are two phillips head screws at the top of the pump, one has a ground wire connected. remove the two screws. The top metal bracket that holds the sending unit for low fuel is on this piece. Note where the wire for it connects and remove the wire from the clips in the plastic body.. set it aside.

Using 1 or 2 flat blade screw drivers, you will see a gap around the first 1/3 of the pump body. Pry gently on opposite sides until you pop the pump top out of the o-rings holding it together.  As it comes up the rails and is removable, check the two o-rings and orientation for this part for re-assembly.

Once the top 1/3 of the pump is removed, slide the entire rest of the pump body up and off the two silver metal rails and turn it upside down. (you may get small drips of gasoline do it on a towel or shop rag). We can now see the filter bottom. It is a fine brass mesh screen impregnated with an almost cotton like material inside.. Mine was completely black and fouled with fine dirt.

Carefully work a small flat screwdriver around the screen and the plastic body that holds the screen, until you work the champhered end out of the fuel pump body and out of the pump.

PIC SHOWS TOP SIDE OF FILTER THAT GOES BACK IN TOWARDS PUMP

DISASSEMBLED PUMP

I used carb and choke cleaner and compressed air to get the worst of the crud off, and then cleaned it a second time in hot water with a little dish soap and let it soak in there for about 10 minutes then worked it around and used compressed air to remove all the water and dry it off..

DIRTY!

When cleaned, although its hard to see in the pic, the brass of the screen was clean.. and the material inside it was almost white again.

BETTER

I used a tiny bit of clear grease on the O-rings going back together.. re assembly is the reverse of tear down.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, while the pump is out, take a bright flashlight and check out the inside of the tank for dirt in the remaining gas or sides of the tank. Flush if necessary.

I also used my O-ring over in the fuel tank. Made sure it was clean.. You can use the service manual for tank removal and fuel pump removal and re-installation if you have it.

Put it all back together, and your good to go for XX,XXX amount of miles again.

Our bikes are coming up on 5 years old this July... Save yourself a real headache and put this service on your list to do before the surge bug gets your bike.. Man they run great again with a clean filter! :)

This report was done again for our lost great member AussieDave.... We miss you Davo... I hope you're having a great ride.

JJ

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:13:02 PM by JamminJere »
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter revisited.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:07:43 PM »
Nice post Jerry. I am considering another trip to the left coast and as the bike is now approaching 80K miles, I can see this would be a useful preventative maintenance issue. No issues with the bike or fuel system yet but as you mention, why wait when it is fairly easy to clean the filter. It is always much easier to do work on a bike in the garage, at the owner's convenience than it is on the side of the road... at night.... in the rain.... with bears watching.

Thanks for taking the time to share the info.

Brian

I know we had a couple good threads on the old board about the Fuel Pump and some of the problems/issues with dirty fuel over time. AussieDave (RIP) was one of the first to experience this and some of the other far riders down under..We have it in an FAQ.. However the pictures are no longer visible for me to see.

<snipped instructions>

Our bikes are comming up on 5 years old this July... Save yourself a real headache and put this service on your list to do before the surge bug gets your bike.. Man they run great again with a clean filter! :)

This report was done again for our lost great member AussieDave.... We miss you Davo... I hope you're having a great ride.

JJ
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Jay

• 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:41:28 PM »
Since this C14 "filter" is built into the fuel pump that resides inside the gas tank, it appears there is no way to prevent an inevitable clog.

Is there anything we can to to avoid a fuel pump tear-down?
Maybe pump gas through a coffee filter?
- 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14, Black
- 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 12:09:25 AM »
Thanks.  Any ideas what a reasonable service interval would be?
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 02:29:39 AM »
Actually, Davo's fuel filter issue post is still available through our C14 Wiki area....

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1238.0

Davo  RIP....  :'(
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:59:55 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 12:05:54 PM »
R.I.P. and Godspeed to Davo,

Nice photo coverage there Jer, thanks for the write up!!
I had to resurect Davos stuff last year for someone, and always worry that it will dissapear. ???

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 12:39:47 PM »
You should clean the filter just before it is about to clog....

Sorry Clyde, could not resist.

;D

Brian

Thanks.  Any ideas what a reasonable service interval would be?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 01:34:29 PM »
Clyde,

The service interval is up to you.. frequency depends on how much gas you run thru it.. and how dirty the fuel is.. This happens slowly over time so you arent going to notice a real problem until it starts to resist throttle input and starts to bog down. It wont just shut you down on the side of the road the first time it occurs.  It is a very strong pump.

But you may notice a difference in throttle response and mileage just by getting it clean again and after you do it once, and see how much dirt is there based by your total mileage on the bike to date, you'll know when to get after it again..

If your bike has over 10,000 miles on it... I'd be surprised if the screen was still squeeky clean.

One thing I would suggest.. If you are going to clean it.. run a good fuel injector cleaner thru the last tank before you clean it, and the tank after once the tank and pump are clean.

Jay,

I don't know if you'd have the patience or even if it would be safe to try to fill your tank thru a coffee filter... Maybe a commercial paint filter screen? One of the cone types they use in body shops... I'm not sure what micron level they filter to.. this dirt is very fine

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »
Nice write up JJ
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 04:30:33 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  My filter is probably due for a cleaning so I will go ahead and knock it out in the next couple weeks.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline wiler2006

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 06:07:58 PM »
Guys check this out http://www.riderforums.com/z1k-z750-maintenance/77631-fuel-pump-strainer.html Look like we can finally get these filters. I created this account just to let you guys know about this.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 08:32:10 PM »
Thanks!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wiler2006

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 03:47:47 PM »
Guys. It's confirmed. I picked up the filter today. It's a 100% match to the one from my 08 ZX-14.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2020, 09:53:38 AM »
Holy Thread Resurrection!  :rotflmao:
Thanks Jammin, the instructions were easy to follow and my C14 now has a nice new fuel filter.
I don't think I have ever worked on a bike that the fuel tank was such a PITA to take off, but it's done.
The old filter was black after 75k miles.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Freddy

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2020, 04:38:38 PM »
Thanks Jammin, the instructions were easy to follow and my C14 now has a nice new fuel filter.
I don't think I have ever worked on a bike that the fuel tank was such a PITA to take off, but it's done.

You must have done it in the dark with one arm tied behind your back.  Tank removal is quick & easy and requires no big plastics to come off.  Filter replacement should be a regular service item like brake fluid flush&bleed.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2020, 06:39:39 PM »

Didn't Asif write this up as well?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 11:23:15 AM »
Thanks.  You get one get out of jail card free...and a cookie.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 01:11:04 PM »
Thanks pinkie!

I went through those instructions and decided that I'm just going to run fuel system cleaner through mine occasionally until I get the symptoms and am forced to do the replacement.
 It's not the work so much that is off putting, but rather having all those rags semi soaked with fuel and with my luck I'd end up with no garage, and no bikes(or melted ones), and maybe even no me.
I haven't heard of anyone being stranded because of a dirty filter, but rather just not having full performance when requested. Although there are some on here or perhaps it's the other
forum that swear one is lugging the engine if you don't keep it above 4000 rpm at all times, both I and more importantly Mama Kaw' would disagree, so I think I can get home OK without
ever going over 5000 rpm if I need to.

It sure got me Jonesin for that green colored bike though.
I often wonder if the situation were reversed and I had the green one and the Candy Neptune Blue were only available in Europe if I'd want the blue one instead?
...Nah..... I wish I had a metal flake green C14, I'm just too cheap to paint mine (or rather too cheap to pay someone that would do the job properly).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 01:22:26 PM »
I just so happen to have a rebuilt pump (new filter) sitting on the shelf in the garage..looking for a good home.