Author Topic: Winter gear thread...  (Read 29259 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Winter gear thread...
« on: October 27, 2012, 05:03:32 PM »
So I decided to finally break down and get some GOOD winter gear for the coming cold/wet riding season...

Here's the list of what I went with, I'm really pleased with all of it, tested in full this week in the now wet PNW. I'm planning to do more wet weather commuting this year than in past, something about riding to/from work is mentaly rewarding for me and helps clear my head (even if it's wet/cold).  :)

Alpinestars Long Range 2 Drystar jacket:
http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/categories/moto/jackets/waterproof/long-range-2-drystar-jacket/

Alpinestars Super Tech Touring Gore-Tex boots:
http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/categories/moto/footwear/touringroad-riding/super-tech-touring-goretex/

Tourmaster Caliber pants (I actually bought these last year but will include in this list to make it complete):
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=173&cat=4

Gerbings T5 heated gloves:
http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/T5.php

Gerbings heated jacket liner:
http://gerbing.com/Products/Liners/heatedjacketliner.php

Gerbings heated socks:
http://gerbing.com/Products/socks.php

Please post up what gear you're using on this thread and maybe we can have this be a good depository for future, maybe even a sticky thread if Sparky finds it worthy...  ;)   :chugbeer:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:48:59 PM by ZG »

Offline Elfmaze

Re: Winter gear thread...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:17:58 PM »
Cant go wrong with the Gerbing headed Jacket liner.  Leather jacket on top of that and torso is good at least into the 30's

hands I got a pair of thinsulate gloves from Cyclegear for $40,  ok.... but a bit bulky for my liking,  and at 30* the cold can start peeking thru even with the grip heaters on. 

legs a pair of CycleGear Storm H20 pants over jeans.  At 30* the cold can peek thru on longer rides,  A pair of heated legs would solve virtually all problems.   

I never felt like I needed haeted insoles,  but maby I haven't riden long enough in cold enough.   

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »
I have an old Widder heated vest I use and that is probably the most important part of low-temp clothing.  If you keep your core warm, then that really enables anything.  Best money spent yet.

The stock heated grips are great.  The heated Sargent seat is probably overkill, I got it just because it seemed like the right thing to do, but it is probably the least needed thing.  My main problem is that I tied the jacket into the seat controller, and the seat gets INCREDIBLY (uncomfortably) hot when I have the jacket to the right temp.  Some day I will have to separate the controls or put a bias control between the two or something.

In the 40's, my legs tend to get cold, especially the outer sides of my thighs, even wearing long acrylic underwear under jeans + heavy leather chaps.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 07:47:56 PM »
Winter gear in this thread ---->   http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=11313.0

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 08:23:01 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 08:56:23 PM »

:-X    ;)

Leather is very effective at not only blocking wind but also abrasion protection.  Also easily removed when you reach your destination, as it zips over the pants.  Plus you are not having to sit on any additional layers.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 09:16:51 PM »
Leather is very effective at not only blocking wind but also abrasion protection.  Also easily removed when you reach your destination, as it zips over the pants.  Plus you are not having to sit on any additional layers.

This is true, last pretty much forever too.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 09:58:29 PM »

I don't disagree with the protection of leather Max, it was "chaps" that threw me...  :-\

Offline ARS

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 11:17:03 PM »
 Nice set-up.  Growing up on the shore of Lake Superior and now living in Minnesota the only way to extend the riding season is to dress for it. Learning from our snowmobile brothers and experience dressing in layers or the bulkier suits work best for me.  Keep the clothing loose enough so your body can heat the air in between your skin and your clothes.  It doesn't matter what the "R-factor" is, if it's too tight it won't keep you warm. "Staying warm isn't a fashion statement" (my pop. . .commercial fisherman - Lake Superior). .
. . .but riding in the Oregon winter rain, well that's just plain crazy!!!

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 11:49:39 PM »
Nice set-up.  Growing up on the shore of Lake Superior and now living in Minnesota the only way to extend the riding season is to dress for it. Learning from our snowmobile brothers and experience dressing in layers or the bulkier suits work best for me.  Keep the clothing loose enough so your body can heat the air in between your skin and your clothes.  It doesn't matter what the "R-factor" is, if it's too tight it won't keep you warm. "Staying warm isn't a fashion statement" (my pop. . .commercial fisherman - Lake Superior). .
. . .but riding in the Oregon winter rain, well that's just plain crazy!!!

+1  That's what sleds and the mountains are for.   ;D
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline udoggie

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 12:30:42 AM »

I have a couple of things in common with you, those being;

Gerbings T5 heated gloves:
http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/T5.php

Gerbings heated jacket liner:
http://gerbing.com/Products/Liners/heatedjacketliner.php

however on top of it all, I really like my 'stitch;

http://www.aerostich.com/suits/one-piece-suits/roadcrafter-one-piece-suit.html

And a pair of Columbia over-the-ankle waterproof hiking boots to round things out.

It was an interesting path for me.  Boots & Stitch first.  Then, after a 35 minute commute to work, and noticing that my fingers were about frozen solid, the gloves,  Once my fingers were thawed, I realized that my core was cold too, and thus the jacket.

No regrets on any of it.

Jeff
Aloha, OR.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 05:48:54 AM »
two buddies and I did a blue ridge parkway ride.  We all have the Caliber pants.  They are waterproof so we didn't stop when it started raining.  All three pair leaked in the crotch.   >:(  The next day I wore my frogg toggs inside the pants because they weren't yet dry.

I don't let the weather stop me from riding.  It does slow me down though.

My cold and wet weather gear consists of:

Boots:
Teknic touring boots with dry-star membrane
TCX Infinity Gore-tex boots

Gloves:
Alpinestars Jet Gore-tex gloves
Tourmaster Polar-tex gloves
Tourmaster Synergy all leather heated gloves

Jackets:
To many to mention them all, but the tourmaster Flex probably gets the most cold weather use since it is very cold in the mornings and only cool in the afternoons.
Northface Gore-tex mountain jacket and pants serve as rain gear.

Pants:
Tourmaster Caliber Pants
Leather Chaps for the cruisers because exhaust will melt plastic pants.

Heated Liners:
Tourmaster Synergy heated vest liner with collar
Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket liner.

Misc:
Balaclava purchased from a ski shop.  It has a harder foam piece that goes over the mouth so it doesn't put pressure on your lips.
Several different weight neck gaiters
Some of the Cold out gear from cycle gear
Thick hunting socks
For all day downpours I also have overboots, overgloves, and reflective vest.  Even though the gore-tex keeps you dry, if the outside material gets wet the cold created by the wind will suck the heat out of you.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Rasmith

• Lenexa KS
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 06:24:13 AM »
two buddies and I did a blue ridge parkway ride.  We all have the Caliber pants.  They are waterproof so we didn't stop when it started raining.  All three pair leaked in the crotch.   >:(  The next day I wore my frogg toggs inside the pants because they weren't yet dry.

I don't let the weather stop me from riding.  It does slow me down though.

My cold and wet weather gear consists of:

Boots:
Teknic touring boots with dry-star membrane
TCX Infinity Gore-tex boots

Gloves:
Alpinestars Jet Gore-tex gloves
Tourmaster Polar-tex gloves
Tourmaster Synergy all leather heated gloves

Jackets:
To many to mention them all, but the tourmaster Flex probably gets the most cold weather use since it is very cold in the mornings and only cool in the afternoons.
Northface Gore-tex mountain jacket and pants serve as rain gear.

Pants:
Tourmaster Caliber Pants
Leather Chaps for the cruisers because exhaust will melt plastic pants.

Heated Liners:
Tourmaster Synergy heated vest liner with collar
Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket liner.

Misc:
Balaclava purchased from a ski shop.  It has a harder foam piece that goes over the mouth so it doesn't put pressure on your lips.
Several different weight neck gaiters
Some of the Cold out gear from cycle gear
Thick hunting socks
For all day downpours I also have overboots, overgloves, and reflective vest.  Even though the gore-tex keeps you dry, if the outside material gets wet the cold created by the wind will suck the heat out of you.

Reading your list reminded me of the Red Rider Christmas special. Thats a lot of gear!!
2012 C14 Candy Arabian Red
2007 Vulcan Meanstreak 1600

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 06:34:25 AM »
Man if I had a unlimited credit card. I don't have crap.
Uninsulated L.L.Bean hunting boots.
L.L.Bean 5 pocket jeans(same as Levis 550 or 560).
Gauntlet ski gloves by Grondoe.
Columbia's cheapest 3 in 1 parka.
Couple sweatshirts.
HEATED GRIPS! And away we go.

I have run almost 2 hours to work at 26 degrees so far this year. I always stop at the halfway point for my Dunkin Donuts Coffee.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 06:38:19 AM »
It looks like you have a pretty good list there J! You forgot the heated codpiece though.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 07:04:14 AM »
That comes later at around 5 degrees. Just a hat will suffice.
Joel from Maine.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 07:20:28 AM »
Man if I had a unlimited credit card. I don't have crap.
Uninsulated L.L.Bean hunting boots.
L.L.Bean 5 pocket jeans(same as Levis 550 or 560).
Gauntlet ski gloves by Grondoe.
Columbia's cheapest 3 in 1 parka.
Couple sweatshirts.

Do you not have a motorcycle jacket?  If not, I strongly recommend it.  Non-motorcycle clothing is not designed to protect in the event of a fall- is not strong, has no armor, has no energy absorption material, has no abrasion resistance.

Anyone that can afford a $15,000 sports tourer can afford $200 for a motorcycle jacket....

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 09:48:43 AM »
however on top of it all, I really like my 'stitch;

http://www.aerostich.com/suits/one-piece-suits/roadcrafter-one-piece-suit.html

Ya agreed, Stich is some great gear indeed, I had their gear on my research list as well and heard nothing but good things about it.  :thumbs:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 09:52:56 AM »

:o

Oh, that's not good...  :(

I haven't done any mass downpours for long distance yet with them but this is good to know. One of my challenges in my pants search is that I'm short and not everybody makes pants in different length's, the Tourmaster Caliber pants are available in shorter lengths and that was one of the reasons I got em...

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 09:54:20 AM »
It looks like you have a pretty good list there J! You forgot the heated codpiece though.    ;)

Does my heated Corbin seat count C?  ;) ;D