Author Topic: Winter gear thread...  (Read 29261 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Winter gear thread...
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »
So I decided to finally break down and get some GOOD winter gear for the coming cold/wet riding season...

I'm planning to do more wet weather commuting this year than in past, something about riding to/from work is mentaly rewarding for me and helps clear my head (even if it's wet/cold).  :)

Alpinestars Long Range 2 Drystar jacket:
http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/categories/moto/jackets/waterproof/long-range-2-drystar-jacket/

Living in Texas, ventilation was higher priority on my list for clothing than rain protection, so right now my jacket and pants need the liners zipped in to keep me dry. If I lived in the PNW I'm sure I would have the water/rain protection incorporated on the outside layer of the jacket and pants instead of needing a liner.
ZG, it seems that your pants are water protected on the outside but your jacket requires a liner.  I'm curious about the thought that went into your jacket selection over say something that has the water protection on the outside like....Olympia AST II or Tourmaster Epic as examples.
I'm not being critical here, I'm just trying to learn from others as I've made some gear mistakes that I don't want to repeat. I was planning on getting a jacket and pants for a trip to Idaho next year that had the rain protection incorporated on the outside instead of liners. Your thoughts?

Offline quickwilly

• Meh
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 11:40:32 AM »
Second on the "Stich".

Its the only thing different between my summer gear and winter gear. Trafic around here sucks!!! I aint moving fast enough to get cold
2009 Connie
2000 ZX-12R

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »
ZG, it seems that your pants are water protected on the outside but your jacket requires a liner.  I'm curious about the thought that went into your jacket selection over say something that has the water protection on the outside like....Olympia AST II or Tourmaster Epic as examples.
I'm not being critical here, I'm just trying to learn from others as I've made some gear mistakes that I don't want to repeat. I was planning on getting a jacket and pants for a trip to Idaho next year that had the rain protection incorporated on the outside instead of liners. Your thoughts?

Yep, a valid concern FM... I looked at so many different jackets over the past month my head was spinning, lot's of choices out there these days. In the end I found that this Long Range 2 had pretty much everything I was wanting and allowed nice scaling up or down with layers etc and even vents if it got too warm. My prior winter jacket (that I just replaced with this one after a half dozen years) was also a Drystar and I never had any issues with getting wet, so I just went with my gut and pushed forward with buying this one. Time will probably tell more, but after a week so far of wearing it (4 of those days being wet) I'm happy with it so far.  :)

The Olympia AST II and Tourmaster Epic that you mentioned were included in my research as well and I did like things about both of those too... 

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 01:38:39 PM »
If you want to be well underway on the C14 warm feet, everything else is on the outside temperature of 2 degrees Celsius.

http://youtu.be/GY4EQwZag6E

MGvalerio. 8)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 01:59:42 PM »
If I need that much to be comfortable, dry and warm to ride, my ass aint riding.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 02:25:59 PM »
Yeah, yeah, but what about the rest of you?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2012, 02:34:33 PM »
Yeah, yeah, but what about the rest of you?

The rest follows my ass.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Joncon11

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2012, 03:37:08 PM »
Roadcrafter with jeans and t-shirt underneath, when the single digits hit I add a long-sleeve shirt.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2012, 03:58:53 PM »
Roadcrafter with jeans and t-shirt underneath, when the single digits hit I add a long-sleeve shirt.

Which one do you have JC?

I looked at the "Stealth" one piece, looked pretty sweet!  :thumbs:

http://www.aerostich.com/stealth-roadcrafter-one-piece.html

Joncon11

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2012, 04:15:45 PM »

Which one do you have JC?

I looked at the "Stealth" one piece, looked pretty sweet!  :thumbs:

http://www.aerostich.com/stealth-roadcrafter-one-piece.html

I have the full weight model, black with the yellow ballistic panels. It’s a little stiff when it gets real cold, but between the windshield up and heated grips I really don’t feel much until it hits the teens or lower. I bought 2 seasons before they made the waterproof zipper standard so if I don’t velcro over the main zipper just right my crotch gets wet, this has only happened once though. I am sending it in to have the waterproof zipper installed along with velcro on the knees for pucks  ;). Most tracks allow roadcrafters now.

Disclaimer...I am extremely cold tolerant due to growing up in New England, results may vary!

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2012, 04:46:20 PM »
Yes I know I could use more motorcycle specific gear. I do wear enough in the winter for an under 40 mph crash. Tested it. But at fast speeds and mid summer I would clearly be wishing I was wearing more.
For the rain I wear a BMW 1-piece rain suit and boot covers. Keeps me perfectly dry.
Joel from Maine.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2012, 04:47:36 PM »
Anyone with experience with phase change garments?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »
Anyone with experience with phase change garments?

Link?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »
The underwear in the last link would make a good base layer if it works as advertised. The price is reasonable enough. I think a set is on my short list. As much as I dislike the cold I'm going to give it a try.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 07:58:26 PM »
If I need that much to be comfortable, dry and warm to ride, my ass aint riding.

Any day riding is better than any other form of transportation.  Considering that I don't personally own a car, I'll ride thank you.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »
Any day riding is better than any other form of transportation.  Considering that I don't personally own a car, I'll ride thank you.

You obviously don't live in Ohio.  ;)  See a horse trailer in the background, assuming you own a truck?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2012, 01:56:10 AM »

Fai Da Te . ;D
Knobs,
Sella,
Trunk compartment,
Back Trunch,
Footwear,
All heated to 12 volts.

http://youtu.be/4pXbwHboUw8

MGvalerio. 8)

MGvalerio. 8)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 06:44:10 AM »

You obviously don't live in Ohio.  ;)  See a horse trailer in the background, assuming you own a truck?

That is my wife's horse trailer.  She is the cowgirl.  Her truck.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077