Author Topic: I need more power  (Read 31961 times)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
I need more power
« on: October 29, 2012, 10:51:34 PM »
I am looking for more power!!  I have all the mods I can think of...  Full Muzzy, ZX14 TB's, PCV, Autotune, BMC, etc...  What is next?   Nitrous?  Turbo?  or just a different bike?  I really really love the Concours and yes of course it is the fastest color (SilverDamit)  I was thinking that a 40hp shot of Nitrous hidden away in the bags would be good without requiring any engine mods as the turbo from what I read really requires forged pistons for reliability.  Maybe I should just except the Connie at the 160hp or so that it dyno'd at and buy a different bike for my need for speed....

Offline jamiemac

Re: I need more power
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 11:23:29 PM »
I know the one fella on here that successfully turbo'd his connie, had to do a tear down, and  have forged pistons from a ZX14 installed on it. Punkynlew was his handle, I believe. Lot of cash, to take that route. Be cheaper to just buy a new 1440cc ZX14r.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 11:27:20 PM »
Different bike obviously, perhaps a ZX14 or maybe a BMW S100RR.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 12:21:08 AM »
Different bike obviously, perhaps a ZX14 or maybe a BMW S100RR.

My biggest problem with a different bike route is the Insurance... Those bikes cost a small fortune to insure and then comfort for the long rides.  I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too unless I drop over $5k for the turbo...

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:03:54 AM »
Lose weight.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »
154 mph regulated/ 170 mph bypassed isn't fast enough for you?  I can power wheelie in second and sometimes third with the traction control turned off.  I couldn't beneficially use more power on the road.  Just like on a sportbike, and unlike on a V Twin, to get that power you have to open the throttle up and get in to the power band.  C14 has a fairly flat torque curve but you need to get to seven or eight grand before it starts to wake up.

This topic comes up a lot on the sportbike boards.  Kids new to riding want "more power" from a bike that is already too powerful for them to handle.  What they really want is more low end torque, so they can have more punch without twisting the throttle because they're afraid to.  We suggest gearing changes (larger FD ratios.)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 09:14:49 AM »
154 mph regulated/ 170 mph bypassed isn't fast enough for you?  I can power wheelie in second and sometimes third with the traction control turned off.  I couldn't beneficially use more power on the road.  Just like on a sportbike, and unlike on a V Twin, to get that power you have to open the throttle up and get in to the power band.  C14 has a fairly flat torque curve but you need to get to seven or eight grand before it starts to wake up.

This topic comes up a lot on the sportbike boards.  Kids new to riding want "more power" from a bike that is already too powerful for them to handle.  What they really want is more low end torque, so they can have more punch without twisting the throttle because they're afraid to.  We suggest gearing changes (larger FD ratios.)

Well first of all I don't have the 154mph regulated model...  I have an 08 :) and second of all power is not all about top speed and third of all I call BS on your power wheelie in second and third.  Also I'm not a "new kid" wanting more power...  I bought my 08 2 years ago with 3k on it and I just hit 50k the other day so I ride all the time and I use the bike on everything from short trips to several week long trips.  I have dragged the bike down the strip and I have taken the bike to the track as well...  I have went off road with the beast (not recommended).  I can't think of anything I haven't done with my bike thus far...  and I absolutely love the Concours hence why I spent the money on all the upgrades.  But I really enjoy my weekend rides with the sport bikes and I enjoy the look on there faces when I am pulling away from them and hauling ass through the twisties with the bags on and they can't keep up with me.  I took allot of **** talking at the track when I moved up a class because they thought I didn't belong in there group but then their tunes suddenly changed when the track went hot and I was passing them (of course this was not in the advanced group)... there would be no way with all the extra weight of the Connie to keep up with that group but the intermediate group no problem except the peg feelers constantly scrapping....  lol

Anyways back to my point - I think my only option that would satisfy me would be the turbo option.  If I could just get ahold of a ZX14 kit for a reasonable price...   

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 09:16:33 AM »
Lose weight.

This is the best advice thus far....  I have no problem loosing the weight it is keeping it off that seems to be the problem :(

Offline Rasmith

• Lenexa KS
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 09:22:43 AM »
OK..Totally uneducated question here.
What if....
What if you found a wrecked ZX14 and transplanted the power plant, ecu, etc?
Understand the drive line is different but does it bolt up? It would be expensive but the VIN tag is still ZG
2012 C14 Candy Arabian Red
2007 Vulcan Meanstreak 1600

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 10:07:55 AM »
Well first of all I don't have the 154mph regulated model...  I have an 08 :) and second of all power is not all about top speed and third of all I call BS on your power wheelie in second and third.  Also I'm not a "new kid" wanting more power...  I bought my 08 2 years ago with 3k on it and I just hit 50k the other day so I ride all the time and I use the bike on everything from short trips to several week long trips.  I have dragged the bike down the strip and I have taken the bike to the track as well...  I have went off road with the beast (not recommended).  I can't think of anything I haven't done with my bike thus far...  and I absolutely love the Concours hence why I spent the money on all the upgrades.  But I really enjoy my weekend rides with the sport bikes and I enjoy the look on there faces when I am pulling away from them and hauling ass through the twisties with the bags on and they can't keep up with me.  I took allot of **** talking at the track when I moved up a class because they thought I didn't belong in there group but then their tunes suddenly changed when the track went hot and I was passing them (of course this was not in the advanced group)... there would be no way with all the extra weight of the Connie to keep up with that group but the intermediate group no problem except the peg feelers constantly scrapping....  lol

Anyways back to my point - I think my only option that would satisfy me would be the turbo option.  If I could just get ahold of a ZX14 kit for a reasonable price...   

First of all, I'm not calling you some new kid on the block.  I have no idea what your riding background is, I'm just giving you some observations I see from other riders.  I've never tracked my Connie (that's what the GSXR is for.)

Secondly, just because YOU can't power wheelie in second and third doesn't mean I can't.  Wheelies are highly dependent on weight, loading and technique.  When I'm in third, slowly reaching power band waiting for a merge point in freeway traffic and then gun it, the front wheel frequently comes up.  Not all the way, but it leaves the ground.  Turn TC off, it comes up a little more.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 11:44:55 AM »
You have one tapped out and bad ass everyday rideable C14, so maybe buy a second one and go all out? The 08 models are still out there for sale pretty cheap most with low miles.......think project spare bike.  ;)  You speed and power junkies, never satisfied!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 03:05:52 PM »
I would love to see a C14 with a ZX14 engine transplant. I'm surprised it hasn't already been done.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 03:43:03 PM »
I am looking for more power!!  I have all the mods I can think of...  Full Muzzy, ZX14 TB's, PCV, Autotune, BMC, etc...  What is next?   Nitrous?  Turbo?  or just a different bike?  I really really love the Concours and yes of course it is the fastest color (SilverDamit)  I was thinking that a 40hp shot of Nitrous hidden away in the bags would be good without requiring any engine mods as the turbo from what I read really requires forged pistons for reliability.  Maybe I should just except the Connie at the 160hp or so that it dyno'd at and buy a different bike for my need for speed....

Like the others say.  You are probably in the market for a different bike.  If you push the power up too much, you will start breaking things, like the shaft drive, transmission, low-end, etc... a very expensive experiment.

The Concours is already a powerful bike, but it was never designed to be a speed demon racer.  That was not the goal nor the market.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 03:47:06 PM »
I would love to see a C14 with a ZX14 engine transplant. I'm surprised it hasn't already been done.

The engines are already very similar (although the *NEW* ZX14 is bumped out a bit more).  The big differences are not as much the engine but the intake, exhaust, the FI tuning/programming, the final drive, and the weight.  You can address the first three fairly safely (but certainly not cheaply).  But swapping out the shaft drive would be major surgery and ruin a MAJOR advantage of the Concours.  And the last option, weight, would be very difficult.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 04:00:55 PM »
Not looking for more power, but I do agree that second gear wheelies are very possible. Not that hard either. I don't go out trying to do wheelies. Just on fast take offs I have done a few. Just in the last few weeks I've taken the front up in second gear twice and I have the 2010 with Traction Control. It just cuts out and drops the tire for ya.
Joel from Maine.

Offline booger

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 07:46:59 PM »
I had a Hayabusa and a ZX10R in the past few years.  They had a little more get up and go.
Either should work for you. ;)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 12:44:55 AM »
Got a new rear tire today and talked with the sales guy a bit took out a S1000RR and a Panigale...  ohhh  those have some serious power :)  but I think for my type if riding and the fact I absolutely hate high maintenance bikes/cost I would go with the new ZX14R...  Still comfortable enough for me to use as a daily driver as well as some longer trips. 

I have 50k on my Concours and they will give my $6k for it on trade but only if I pay retail for the ZX14R...  Not a good deal in my opinion even though I could get at least $2000 or more parting out all my add-ons that I would not give the dealer...   I will check on insurance tomorrow as that will most likely be a deal breaker :(   I also wonder about the additional warranty that I have on the Concours... it had a 3 year factory then a 3 year good times protection then I added an additional 3 year as well that of course I have not used yet... Is that refundable if not used or it just goes with the bike?  Perhaps that can help me get a little more $$ for the bike as well... 

But I have ridden both the ZX14R and the Hyabusa back to back and I would take the ZX14 any day over the busa.

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 09:28:32 AM »
Am looking for Kawaski to come out with the 14R motor in the C-14 next year....it would be stupid to make two engines the same block size for the two flagship bikes that they make...

They have to sell more bikes.....in order to attract more new buyers and make more sales some major change needs to be done to the C-14......the ZX14R engine upgrade!!  Add about 25 HP and they can still maintain the same drive train safely...of course it will be de-tuned form the stock 14r engine, but I would trade mine in tomorrow if and when they do this upgrade....

KAWASAKI cannot make the C-14 with the same basic configuration it has now for the next 5 years...they need to do something major to increase sales for this bike...and this is the best way to do it....it will not be inconvenient for the upgrade.....and it is a great marketing plan for Kawasaki.......everyone wants more power...this is the way to get it.....I don't think anyone who knows this bike would object for another 25 HP at the wheel and knowing they have the ZX14r engine between their legs for another $1,000.00 increase in price for this wonderful Sport Touring machine....

I have the C-14, and a highly tricked out 2012 ZX-14r, wish they had put the ABS option on it the first year...like they did in 2008 for the C-14, it was a 300.00 upgrade for ABS...could have done the same with the 14r but didn't.

There was a reason for that.....to increase sales......

So, I am looking for the 14r motor coming out maybe next year in the C-14.....then I won't be able to sleep at night!

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »
Am looking for Kawaski to come out with the 14R motor in the C-14 next year....it would be stupid to make two engines the same block size for the two flagship bikes that they make...

They have to sell more bikes.....in order to attract more new buyers and make more sales some major change needs to be done to the C-14......the ZX14R engine upgrade!!  Add about 25 HP and they can still maintain the same drive train safely...of course it will be de-tuned form the stock 14r engine, but I would trade mine in tomorrow if and when they do this upgrade....

KAWASAKI cannot make the C-14 with the same basic configuration it has now for the next 5 years...they need to do something major to increase sales for this bike...and this is the best way to do it....it will not be inconvenient for the upgrade.....and it is a great marketing plan for Kawasaki.......everyone wants more power...this is the way to get it.....I don't think anyone who knows this bike would object for another 25 HP at the wheel and knowing they have the ZX14r engine between their legs for another $1,000.00 increase in price for this wonderful Sport Touring machine....

I have the C-14, and a highly tricked out 2012 ZX-14r, wish they had put the ABS option on it the first year...like they did in 2008 for the C-14, it was a 300.00 upgrade for ABS...could have done the same with the 14r but didn't.

So, I am looking for the 14r motor coming out maybe next year in the C-14.....then I won't be able to sleep at night!

Ninja

Seriously doubt that the ZX-14 motor is gonna happen, and makes absolute zero sense for them to do that. There is no possible way that configuration is going to be more reliable and long lasting than the current offering, and reliability, gas mileage, low maintenane and long lasting is the whole point for a touring motorcycle. And the C14 is the number 1 selling sport touring bike available, so not sure what you mean by the need for increasing sales? They need to add cruise control and a few other luxury type options, the C14 is the flagship tourer already and that would just put it even higher out of reach. I guarantee that 3/4 of C14 owners don't need or want a more powerful powerplant, just refine the one in it even more. And you know the insurance rate would go up more with that engine......so the hell with that. Dont you own a ZX14 anyways?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 10:40:09 AM »

Ninja

One can only dream...  If I knew this were for real I would have already pre-odered mine :)