Author Topic: I need more power  (Read 31967 times)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
Re: I need more power
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2012, 11:37:41 AM »
A good option....... ;)

I like :)  I have a friend with one...  I ask the dealer every time if they have one I can try out but seems they don't... They do have the K1200S but as the dealer told me they are allot different so better to wait for a 1300 to ride.  My only other reservations are initial cost and maintenance cost...

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »
Just a thought.......  What would be involved with changing a pre 2012 ZX14 engine to shaft drive?  If a person had access to a totaled ZX with all good engine hardware how difficult would it be to do the conversion?  Would the cases have to be split?  How would it effect the ECU, VVT etc?  Dependable 180-190hp at the wheel out of the ZX is easy with simple bolt ons, I know the shaft would have a greater parasitic effect than a chain but I can't help but think it would be a nice improvement.

To much risk without having a good sense of the potential outcome...  I hate going down a road no one else has went down before when it is costing me money without knowing if it is a dead end or not :)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2012, 12:33:34 PM »
A good option....... ;)

If it weren't for the quirky paralever and duolever that would be a great hypersport tourer. 

If you need more power on a C14 just buy a ZX-14, put a taller shield and some risers on it.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2012, 01:06:28 PM »
And have done with it....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 1 wheel peel

« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2012, 02:38:55 PM »
To much risk without having a good sense of the potential outcome...  I hate going down a road no one else has went down before when it is costing me money without knowing if it is a dead end or not :)
After looking at the fiche the out put shats carry different part numbers anyway so looks like that would not be a viable option.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
I like :)  I have a friend with one...  I ask the dealer every time if they have one I can try out but seems they don't... They do have the K1200S but as the dealer told me they are allot different so better to wait for a 1300 to ride.  My only other reservations are initial cost and maintenance cost...

It is so darn sexy "and wicked fast/powerful" I am under the impression the K bikes are very dependable, have you seen heard otherwise?

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline pistole

« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2012, 09:26:08 PM »
The two bike theory is a great compromise. By spring next year I'll have the turbo back on the C14, and I'll have the zx-10r up and running on low boost (maybe the higher boost motor if taxes are nice to me). The turbo C14 as the "slow" bike and a slightly looney zx-10 as the "scare me every time" machine should be enough to hold me up for a while I hope. If you can settle on a stock bike that will do that for you, go that route. New sport bikes are amazing & great for far more reasons than just power, and having the C14 as a back-up/practical machine is a great plan.

- am considering getting a new ZX10R , how would you compare the performance and handling vis the C14 ?

thanks

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2012, 10:20:20 PM »
The Gen 2 that I have blows it completely out of the water in ever category save for comfort, storage space, and passenger friendliness. The Gen 4 (2011+ model year) will pretty much embarrass its three previous generation siblings in any comparison test. An intelligently modded Gen 4 would outrun a turbo C14 without a great deal of effort.

Offline stewart

« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2012, 12:55:35 AM »
Just my dreaming 2cents.

I've trackday'd my C14 four times now and very much enjoyed the experience, will do it again next year. But a smaller lighter bike would be nice for the full experience.

So...here's the dream. Supercharge the C14, slap a trailer on and trailer my ZX10R track bike. I like riding to the trackday versus the pussies who trailer their bikes.

Supercharger would give low end torque and smooth power.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline pistole

« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2012, 02:29:43 AM »
The Gen 2 that I have blows it completely out of the water in ever category save for comfort, storage space, and passenger friendliness. The Gen 4 (2011+ model year) will pretty much embarrass its three previous generation siblings in any comparison test. An intelligently modded Gen 4 would outrun a turbo C14 without a great deal of effort.

- appreciate the comments there.

- am a bit torn between a new ZX10R (with the electronic ohlins steering damper) versus the new (and very much updated) ZX6R (the 636 cc version). The traction control + abs are positives there for me.

- from riding the C14 , the power is certainly there (not many cars that you can't accelerate past even when they've got their throttles pinned) but getting to certain speeds seem to take too much time (eg , 100 to 140 mph).

- maybe its my mistake by not using the gearbox more (but fifth does seem to be the gear with which to get those speeds).

cheers

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2012, 04:13:59 AM »
Count me in with the more is always better crowd. I've ridden a turbo Busa with BIG HP and was wanting more after a short ride. I've never owned a bike I didn't want more power on. My C14 is no different. Nice bike and I wouldn't trade it for anything I've owned previously but more juice would be nice. I'm not going to spend a bunch of cash to get it though. It is what it is, I knew what it was when I bought it and I am extremely happy with it overall. 
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2012, 06:39:33 AM »
Just my dreaming 2cents.

I've trackday'd my C14 four times now and very much enjoyed the experience, will do it again next year. But a smaller lighter bike would be nice for the full experience.

So...here's the dream. Supercharge the C14, slap a trailer on and trailer my ZX10R track bike. I like riding to the trackday versus the pussies who trailer their bikes.

Supercharger would give low end torque and smooth power.

I had the -exact- same idea with the Turbo Connie. :) But for the full trackday/track weekend experience you need a little bit more than you can carry on a bike trailer.... at least if you'd like to ride and be competitive on a club level.

As for a supercharger: it wouldn't work the way you think. A centrifugal SC would not make a lot of low end torque as they build boost in a linear rate with RPM. A roots/twin-screw would come on a lot quicker, but there is no way to package one on the ZX14/C14 platform. Besides, the C14 makes just about as much torque as it can handle. With my bike coming onto 7-8psi of boost at 5K rpm, it would blow the tire off of it if you were leaned over at all. In stock trim it spins and slides in first gear if I'm aggressive with it while turning. More torque sounds great, but the chassis really can't handle  much more below 6K rpm.... it gets pretty harry. :) A centrifugal charger would make for a very smooth power curve though, it would be ideal for the way the C14 makes power. But packaging a SC is hideously difficult and expensive on a bike. Trust me on that.  :(

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2012, 06:46:06 AM »
- appreciate the comments there.

- am a bit torn between a new ZX10R (with the electronic ohlins steering damper) versus the new (and very much updated) ZX6R (the 636 cc version). The traction control + abs are positives there for me.

- from riding the C14 , the power is certainly there (not many cars that you can't accelerate past even when they've got their throttles pinned) but getting to certain speeds seem to take too much time (eg , 100 to 140 mph).

- maybe its my mistake by not using the gearbox more (but fifth does seem to be the gear with which to get those speeds).

cheers

I agree.... I'm very eager to see how the new 636 performs. The new 10R does have a very good ABS/TC package, and with a little easy wiring makes huge amounts of power. If I were looking for a street/track bike where I live (out here in wide open southern AZ) I'd have the Zx10. If I were looking into a track-only 2nd bike, I'd probably have the new 636.

The C14 has pretty interesting gearing, and very disappointing high RPM  power compared to the way it stomps the first half of the tach. Combine that with the frontal area of a small car and the aerodynamics of several loose bricks, and it is pretty lack-luster if you're looking for that 90mph+ acceleration. Sadly, it can't be fixed without a serious amount of engine work or bolting some sort of forced induction on it.

Offline stewart

« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2012, 07:09:52 AM »
SpazOnaConcours, great info on the Supercharger idea....but boy let me dream, don't be a party pooper.

Reality is.... in my other Wet dream, I have Elanor from Gone in 60 Seconds (Mustang) to pull my track bike to the track.

Oh well back to work...
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2012, 07:38:25 AM »

It is so darn sexy "and wicked fast/powerful" I am under the impression the K bikes are very dependable, have you seen heard otherwise?

Only info I have is when my Friends was in the shop for over a month to get cam replaced, didn't have to many miles maybe 10k but needed new cam do to excessive wear...  Another problem is when it is broke it takes forever to get parts.

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2012, 03:25:39 PM »

Until the final drive blows up.  Of the K1300's I personally know the owners of, the failure rate so far is 33%.  And they dont put crazy miles on them or ride them like they were meant too either.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »

In addition to final drive failures, K1300's seem to have problems with the engines failing somewhere around 40K.  Beemer's single side swingarm final drive system isn't very robust.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2012, 02:03:42 PM »
In addition to final drive failures, K1300's seem to have problems with the engines failing somewhere around 40K.  Beemer's single side swingarm final drive system isn't very robust.

Guess I had better stick with Kawasaki then ... Perhaps a new ZX14R  ;D

Offline comet

« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2012, 11:33:33 PM »
Great thread. A lot of "well saids" from many perspectives.

I completely understand the need to mod, and agree a C14 Turbo is the best option for anyone who truly wishes for more than what simple bolt ons provide. The reports from the turbo owners on here definitely make me envy those with both the determination and the funds to build a truly sleeper ST...

But, at the same time- I sort of feel like this is a case of giving a Clydesdale methamphetamine in order to run it in the Kentucky Derby. While a winning finish would amaze everyone trackside, it also would stress the animal way past what it's maker intended.

Back many years ago, (mid 1970's) I managed to score an Ak Miller/Shelby/Spearco turbo kit for my 1971 Ford Pinto. Running 14lbs boost, with water/acetone injection coming on at 7 lbs (to keep from blowing it up)-- that little econobox managed to put the hurt on a lot of "muscle" cars of the day- (AAR Cuda driver was completely amazed). But, over time, the engineering shortfalls of the drivetrain started showing up, and when I eventually opted to sell it, I did so, because it didn't make sense to fix them all. I could build a Pinto to the Moon, but it's still a Pinto.

Of all the more power options mentioned- I like the idea of starting over with a literbike. Faster and better handling to begin with, it will always have the performance edge given similar investment. I also wish Kawasaki would put the new ZX-14R engine in the C-14, along with a bigger tank to support the mileage penalty.

Just another $.02

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2012, 06:16:32 PM »
I have the C-14, and a highly tricked out 2012 ZX-14r, wish they had put the ABS option on it the first year...like they did in 2008 for the C-14, it was a 300.00 upgrade for ABS...could have done the same with the 14r but didn't.

Where did you get the $300 option for ABS?
The Concours 14 2008 had an MSRP of $12,899 or $13,799 w/ABS, equal to the FJR which came with ABS standard. $900 is a lot of money, and many dealers ordered them without it.
2008 C-14