Author Topic: air wings for your hands  (Read 43288 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
air wings for your hands
« on: May 14, 2011, 11:25:05 AM »
I'll get this thread going so that it's available by search later in time, even though this is about the time of year that folks start pulling these off, but in the winter man are they nice...  :hail:

There's a couple options out there... I'll let others post up what they use.

I went with the ProjektD ones and was very pleased, they really take the wind off your hands and keep them warmer in the winter months.  :thumbs:

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_58&products_id=178

Here's some pics of mine.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:51:05 AM by ZG »

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
Re: air wings for your hands
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:44:49 AM »
Do they work with risers?  Wind flow might be off.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »
Do they work with risers?  Wind flow might be off.

Yep, I've got the 2" Helibar risers and they work great!

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »

Your mirrors are higher than the 08 right?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:52:17 AM »

I have an 09, same mirror height as 08...

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »

Wow, love the power outlet in the riser!

:thumbs:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »
Wow, love the power outlet in the riser!

:thumbs:

Thanks Mike, go Pack!

Here's a link to the power outlet thread...
http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=311.0

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »
i think they offer that as an option when you buy them.  one thing that i WILL get with my risers.
with risers will my '11 need these or not.  it has good hand protection as it is now but after riders i am not sure.

Offline Peter2011C14

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 04:01:08 PM »

I have a 2011 and was thinking that if the mirrors were a bit higher, the air would be deflected from the hand area, AND you would see less of the saddlebags!

Peter
1993 Honda CBR1000F
1998 Triumph Adventurer
2011 C14 ABS Atomic silver
COG Member #769

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 04:53:02 PM »
I started off with a set of Metalbenders, which are very similar to the ones you have. They were excellent hand guards but they were just a tad too big when used with a Calsci windshield so I bought a set of Baker Hand Wings. The hand wings are just slightly less effective in the winter but they have the great advantage that they can be turned about 90 degrees and have outside air diverted to the rider. I find they are easily worth 15 F and maybe 20 F in comfort when it is hot out. I ended up leaving the Bakers on all year and just rotate them as necessary.

Brian

I'll get this thread going so that it's available by search later in time, even though this is about the time of year that folks start pulling these off, but in the winter man are they nice...  :hail:

There's a couple options out there... I'll let others post up what they use.

I went with the ProjektD ones and was very pleased, they really take the wind off your hands and keep them warmer in the winter months.  :thumbs:

<snipped photos>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Reddogger

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 10:19:39 PM »
Metalbenders have worked great for me. I heard he quit building them some time back but I would highly reccomend them if a set becomes available.
"...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."                     

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 07:09:46 AM »
I have the Motax deflectors and just installed the CalSci Shorty. They look great together. Of course the deflectors will be coming off soon.

I haven't tried em both out together yet but the deflectors work great.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 10:44:34 PM »
on the '10 i don't have trouble. slight breeze on the hands but no wind or bug blasts
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 06:37:20 AM »
on the '10 i don't have trouble. slight breeze on the hands but no wind or bug blasts

are you using risers or not?  just wondering. thanks.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 07:33:45 AM »

are you using risers or not?  just wondering. thanks.

no risers- of course risers will put our hands in the wrong position for the '10 mirrors.  Kawi addressed mirror position in regards to complaints about the '08-09, and the 10's are spot-on for both site over the bags and wind position
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Bob

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 08:16:04 AM »
Metalbenders have worked great for me. I heard he quit building them some time back but I would highly reccomend them if a set becomes available.

The following is just my opinion about the Baker hand wings and the Metalbender air deflectors (not made anymore).

+1 excellent product. I removed the Bakers for the Metalbenders. I personally found the Metalbender deflectors to be far superior to the Bakers in every aspect except being able to open them in the heat. But they always loosened every time I moved them which required tightening the single mounting screw each time I moved it. IMO, the bakers are a poor design. A two screw bracket would probably fix most of the Baker's down sides. I removed the wings in the summer also, which negated any of the more positive aspects of the Baker's for myself. Now I'm not saying that the Bakers are bad. Only that the Metalbender deflectors were IMO, far superior for strength, design and coverage in the cold and rain. Too bad Metalbender stopped making his wings. But the basic design is very good! Maybe someone will take up making a similar product in the future!

MetalBender hand wind deflectors:

Now for comparison, the Baker air wings:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 09:34:56 AM »

Those really cold Florida mornings eh Steve...  ???

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 09:46:50 AM »
I have a 2010 with the Heli-Bar risers.  I also use the Cal-Sci XL screen in the winter.  I can tell you that some sort of wings are a necessity with this set-up.  With the screen all the way up, there is a ridiculous amount of air going straight to my hands--hand warmers or not.  I have the Motax deflectors, but haven't used them yet.  I didn't get them until the weather got warmer and I've also been waiting to get the brackets back from the powdercoater. 
I feel like a new person!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 09:56:40 AM »
Here's some pics with the Motax air deflectors and my new CalSci shield.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 04:37:44 PM »
Well, summer is finally coming into the Pac NW, today I removed my air wings and wore my summer gloves!  :thumbs:
 8)   ;D

I love these wings but I'm hoping I don't have to put them back on for another 6 months if you know what I mean...  ;)