Author Topic: Rebuild of my C14  (Read 38360 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Rebuild of my C14
« on: October 30, 2011, 05:37:55 PM »
This is where I will post pics and info for the rebuild of my C14.

My plan is to replace the rashed plastics on the right side (still unsure if I will do a custom paint job and install ZX-14 throttle bodies).
I have ordered the following parts to improve my bike

Penske 8983 shock from Traxxion
Ohlins rebuild of my fork
AreaP full exhaust
DynoJet AutoTune

I am also going to check my valve lash since it has been 20,000 miles since I did it last winter. Hopefully my bike will be down for a month or less.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline jjsC6

Re: Rebuild of my C14
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 05:40:41 PM »
I'm glad to hear you are taking that route.  I'm very anxious to see how you like the suspension changes.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 05:55:17 PM »
 :popcorn:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Awe heck Jeremy, why ya goin the cheap route?  Ya left out the LSL bars ;)  And dont stop at %75, do the ZX TBs, it aint goin to hurt anything ;D  Make the quickest color even quicker :-X

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 05:25:48 AM »
Awe heck Jeremy, why ya goin the cheap route?  Ya left out the LSL bars ;)  And dont stop at %75, do the ZX TBs, it aint goin to hurt anything ;D  Make the quickest color even quicker :-X

That would be nice, but I don't have a retirement check plus a salary coming in.   ;)

Maybe I will get the LSL setup on my next C14.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 01:33:56 PM »
Looking forward to the progress Jeremy.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 10:21:25 AM »
Everything is ordered and on it's way to my house. I just need to get the forks off and get them sent in. Then I need to decide if I want a pretty C14 or continue with attempting to fly under the radar. I am leaning towards leaving it neutron grey for now, since I would probably be less likely to ride it like it was meant to ridden if I had a nice paint job on it.  Who has time to keep a bike spotless anyway?  Well, besides ZG anyway......  ;D

Progress pics coming soon.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 12:10:36 PM »
Everything is ordered and on it's way to my house. I just need to get the forks off and get them sent in. Then I need to decide if I want a pretty C14 or continue with attempting to fly under the radar. I am leaning towards leaving it neutron grey for now, since I would probably be less likely to ride it like it was meant to ridden if I had a nice paint job on it.  Who has time to keep a bike spotless anyway?  Well, besides ZG anyway......  ;D

8)   :chugbeer:

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 02:58:10 PM »

Well, anyone that ALREADY has farkles installed when they take a brand new bike home from the dealership ... ...  ;)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 03:33:50 PM »
Well, anyone that ALREADY has farkles installed when they take a brand new bike home from the dealership ... ...  ;)

;D ;D ;D   :chugbeer:

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
Bike is stripped down far enough until I decide if it is getting painted and I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow.  I found the valve cover leak that I had been smelling for the past month or two.  Also there is a second insurance claim that I am making since the tow truck driver damaged several areas on my bike.  He used chains to secure the risers, the ratcheting part of the ratchet strap put a gouge in my rear wheel, and the straps damaged my upper fairings, seat, and rear grab handles.  I am thinking about having them do my valve adjustment since it will be torn apart anyway.  If they want more than I think it is worth I will bring it home and do it myself while I am on convalescent leave.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 07:50:41 PM »
Also there is a second insurance claim that I am making since the tow truck driver damaged several areas on my bike.  He used chains to secure the risers, the ratcheting part of the ratchet strap put a gouge in my rear wheel, and the straps damaged my upper fairings, seat, and rear grab handles. 

:yikes:

Not cool...

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 06:34:04 AM »

Just wanted to share my input on the "pretty" part Jeremy.  There is definitely something to be said for having a not-so-pretty vehicle with all the mods under the fairing!  A nice sleeper is one of my favorite things in the world.  We pretty much all have that now but the effect would be that much greater if you left the rashed plastics on her!!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 07:22:19 AM »
Awesome project!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 12:13:50 PM »
Dropped it off at the dealer and they said that they would do my valve lash check and change the plugs for $100 since the valve cover was gonna be off for the gasket change.  I asked that they make a shim map and the service manager said that they don't have many people ask for those but he said that would be fine.  Pretty good deal IMO.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 01:05:31 PM »
i'd pay that for someone to do the valve check.
Will

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 10:54:40 PM »
Crutched into the dealer today to see how they were coming on the valve lash check, and they are still waiting on parts. I have ordered everything I needed and it is sitting in my garage (minus the exhaust since it is still being built) waiting for my bike to get back. I could have had my valves adjusted and ready to go by now. Oh well, I couldn't ride right now anyway since my ankle is still healing up from surgery. Trying to be patient sucks.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 11:09:29 PM »
So what did you decide on paint color Jeremy?

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 11:47:14 PM »
So what did you decide on paint color Jeremy?

Nothing yet.  The used plastics that I have bought are in good enough shape that I can slap em on and roll it as is.  My only issue is my right bag cover is from a 2010 blue, so if I don't paint the whole bike I will just shoot the bags satin black, instead of paying through the nose for some neutron grey to mixed for me. 

If I do end up having it repainted I am leaning towards copper or gun metal grey.  I am toying with the idea of satin or matte also. 

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 12:41:24 AM »
Awesome project right here, thanks for posting it up
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine