Author Topic: City Lights?  (Read 36993 times)

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
City Lights?
« on: May 18, 2011, 06:12:51 AM »
Anyone know where you can get some BRIGHTER city lights?

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: City Lights?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:15:19 AM »
Just do a google search for T10 led lights and you will find what you need.  I got mine for free with my HID kit from A&R.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:31:38 AM »
i have been thinking about something like that as well.  ill try A&R JD.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 06:34:20 AM »
I saw "bright lights" in Tampa and just had to shoot a pic. was a hit in photography class.

on a more serious note, I suggest something along the lines of this review:  http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/hid-light/motorcycle-hid-light-conversion/
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 08:44:17 AM »
Thanks fellas. 

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 02:34:10 PM »
I just got a set from autiillumination myself, installed them yesterday. They were led 6k lights someone mentioned on old board. I like them as they have a bluish tint to them and set them apart from the mains

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 04:49:38 PM »
I just got a set from autiillumination myself, installed them yesterday. They were led 6k lights someone mentioned on old board. I like them as they have a bluish tint to them and set them apart from the mains

Yep- that opens another variation on the topic of whether to keep the lights white or change them to yellow.  Yellow would set it off a LOT more than the headlights...

Of course, an additional topic would be "What was the exact purpose/intent of the city lights in the first place?".  I mean, at least in the USA, you must run with your headlights on at all times, so what purpose do these serve?  Are they supposed to have a wider distribution of light than the low beams?  Are they just supposed to be a marker light when the ignition is on but the engine is not running?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gildaguz

2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 05:50:53 PM »
Just got some amber regular Sylvania bulbs to try, the Silverstars did look sweet though.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 08:26:57 PM »
I installed the Sylvania 194AN bulbs today, nice and bright with a nice amber contrast. I got these at Advance Auto in case anybody is interested.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 08:48:08 PM »
Just got some amber regular Sylvania bulbs to try, the Silverstars did look sweet though.

Why not go for LED?  I am guessing you could get something much, much brighter (and with less draw)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 08:49:06 PM »
I installed the Sylvania 194AN bulbs today, nice and bright with a nice amber contrast. I got these at Advance Auto in case anybody is interested.

But LED would be so much sweeeeeter!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 09:05:59 PM »
Well...................better than what "was" in there, and I happen to see these and figured what the heck. Maybe I should take a pic of them, I am very pleased with both the results and the price I paid for them. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Rowlander

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 04:07:51 AM »
Just do a google search for T10 led lights and you will find what you need.  I got mine for free with my HID kit from A&R.
Can you help me out with this? I must be HID illiterate...haha. Never messed with them before, but better visibility is always a good thing. A link or a parts list would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 07:30:18 AM »
Can you help me out with this? I must be HID illiterate...haha. Never messed with them before, but better visibility is always a good thing. A link or a parts list would be greatly appreciated.

You want a 168 or a 194 "wedge type" bulb at 12/14 volts and around 5 watts.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 09:25:59 AM »

Just send Rob an email and he will get you a quote.  I reccomend the digital ballasts and the dual hi/lo HID setup.  There aren't actually two seperate bulbs, so it uses a some sort of magnet to lift the beam to run your highs.  I have had two HID kits from A&R and have had great luck with them.  Their customer service is also top notch.

http://www.aandrmotorsport.com/store/index.php
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 09:34:59 AM »
let us know what you decided and post some pics when you get them in

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 10:38:04 PM »
Why not go for LED?  I am guessing you could get something much, much brighter (and with less draw)

OK, I was wrong.  I got the yellow 194 bulbs ( http://autolumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/194_smt3_a_wm.jpg ) from autoillumation (25 LEDs).  Supposedly the "brightest LED 194 bulbs on the market".  Installed them today.  Disappointed.  First, they are orange, not yellow.  Second, they are about half the brightness of the incandescent bulbs.  I measure them at 1.2watts per bulb.  I need something much brighter to meet my goal.

HOWEVER- the *concept* of using yellow bulbs there is very sound, and I do like the contrast and what it means for safety.  It turns the city lights from something useless into something useful.

Other thread:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=810.0

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 05:21:28 AM »
I suppose I could check the service manual, but it's Sunday and I'm lazy.

How much of a PITA is it to access the bulbs? Ditto the headlights, as I'd like to go to HID?

Changing headlight bulbs on my last Honda ST1100 was a half-day job because of all the pieces needing removal to get to them, and even then you could barely get at the bulbs. I always assumed they started with the headlight bulbs installed and built the rest of the bike around it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 05:50:06 PM »
I suppose I could check the service manual, but it's Sunday and I'm lazy.

How much of a PITA is it to access the bulbs? Ditto the headlights, as I'd like to go to HID?

Changing headlight bulbs on my last Honda ST1100 was a half-day job because of all the pieces needing removal to get to them, and even then you could barely get at the bulbs. I always assumed they started with the headlight bulbs installed and built the rest of the bike around it.

Accessing the city lights is a snap!  Just pop 4 quick rivets, remove a panel, and pop them out.  Headlights and front turn signals look like they are a pain in the butt....