Author Topic: City Lights?  (Read 36996 times)

Offline qyetman

Re: City Lights?
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »
Anyone seen this yet?  1400GTR CityLight T10 LED   Mostlikely illegal here in the US but very cool and highly visible.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2011, 12:13:18 PM »
Anyone seen this yet?  Most likely illegal here in the US but very cool and highly visible.

Yep, seen it.  They are not all that bright.  But as you said. they are likely illegal.  Being so blue doesn't help, either.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2011, 05:54:08 PM »
I went the amber bulbs, once the headlights are on the city lights are almost lost anyway.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2011, 07:12:01 PM »
I went LED amber, in top of that i did add an extra running lights inside of the signal lamps
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2011, 07:33:23 AM »
Looks nice

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2011, 07:52:15 AM »
gildaguz, can you post a link to where you got them and a pic with the headlights on?  Those amber LEDs look pretty bright, but I want to make sure that they are actually more noticeable before I buy another set.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2011, 04:11:55 PM »
gildaguz, can you post a link to where you got them and a pic with the headlights on?  Those amber LEDs look pretty bright, but I want to make sure that they are actually more noticeable before I buy another set.

Every 168/194 amber LED blub for the City Lights I have seen/tried have been between somewhat to very much dimmer than the equivalent amber incandescent.  Just a word of caution.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=598.msg22919#msg22919
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=810.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2011, 05:01:43 PM »
Here is the link, i will post the picture later, i'm waiting for the sunset to take the pic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-SMD-2-5W-T10-168-194-W5W-WHITE-Wedge-LED-Light-Bulb-/170586583833?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b7c0b319

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
Here is the link, i will post the picture later, i'm waiting for the sunset to take the pic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-SMD-2-5W-T10-168-194-W5W-WHITE-Wedge-LED-Light-Bulb-/170586583833?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b7c0b319

I know that they are usually not as bright as regular bulbs, but gildaguz's lights looked quite a bit brighter than mine unless he was playing with the setting on his camera.  I might have to try a set of them out, but $15 seems a little steep.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2011, 11:21:47 AM »
For what it is worth, 4,100 Kelvin is considered white; anything less is shifted toward the red end, and anything higher is shifted toward the blue side.

Brian

Not to start an argument (and I don't know for sure if I'm right so correct me if I'm wrong) but when I put the HID bulbs in (the H4's), 6,000Kelvin was said to be the whitest, purest form of white light.  8,000k started to get you that signature hint of blue (that's what I went with), and also available was a 12,000k bulb which was supposed to bring you to a violet color.  Again, just FWIW... thx
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2011, 02:06:03 PM »
The brightest, whitest light from vehicular HIDs occurs in the low 4K Kelvin range. The nominal number used by Philips is 4,100 Kelvin if I remember correctly but anything in the low 4K range will look white to the human eye. The edges of the headlight will always appear a touch more blue than the main beam in any reflector headlight and there is usually a blue band right at the cut-off line of projector lights.

Tungsten (halogen) lighting is usually right around 3,200 Kelvin and appears more or less white unless seen near an HID light and then it has a decidedly orange cast to it.

Anything in the 6,000 Kelvin range has a distinct blue tint and will produce less light output compared with the same wattage HID in 4,100 Kelvin temperature.

Just for reference you can take a look at this: http://www.manyadeal.com/page.html?id=24

And we're not arguing, just discussing. If we can't do that then there isn't much point to the forum.  ;)

Brian

Not to start an argument (and I don't know for sure if I'm right so correct me if I'm wrong) but when I put the HID bulbs in (the H4's), 6,000Kelvin was said to be the whitest, purest form of white light.  8,000k started to get you that signature hint of blue (that's what I went with), and also available was a 12,000k bulb which was supposed to bring you to a violet color.  Again, just FWIW... thx
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2011, 03:16:34 PM »

Hey Brian,
Looks like we're getting different information handed to us.
This is off the hidnation site.... http://hidnation.com/     (under the FAQ's)

"What does 3000k, 6000k, 8000k, etc. mean?
These numbers are associated with color temperatures. Each number represents a color. The break-down is an industry standard and each number correlates as such: 3000k-yellow 6000k-platinum/bright white 8000k-baby blue/light blue 10000k-blue 12000k-deep blue/hint of purple."

-Guess we're both just going off of what we read...Never the less, HID RULES !!!
- I love the headlights, lots of performance, lots of compliments, and best of all I am more visible, day and night.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2011, 04:20:59 PM »
There are only a handful of OEM HID lamp manufacturers (GE, Philips (the inventor), Osram, Matushita), and they all produce 4,100 Kelvin color lamps for OEM use. All cars with factory HIDs (which also happens to be all legal HIDs in the US) are 4,100 Kelvin. Phillips does make a 6,000 Kelvin lamp but it is not legal for use in the US, and it is only offered as a replacement lamp when used with aged OEM HIDs because HIDs output changes and moves toward the blue side of the spectrum as age. The highest legal color temperature is just under 5,400 Kelvin as I remember, and that was the color used in the Xenarc 1010 aftermarket lights sold a few years ago by Osram / Sylvania. I actually have a set of those Xenarc lights and they do appear more blue than Philips standard HIDs (again, 4,100 Kelvin).

Just over 4,000 Kelvin is the brightest HID available and that is because of the physics of the lamp's arc itself.

If you look at OEM lighting sites, I believe you will find the above to be the case. Most web sites about HID lighting are trying to sell aftermarket, retrofit lighting kits, all of which are illegal and frankly meant to appeal to kids trying to look 'kewel'.

Again, the brightest and whitest vehicular lighting is 4,100 Kelvin in temperature and about 3,100 lumens in brightness. That is for standard, legal and OEM HID lighting.

I am a fan of HIDs myself and actually think <some> retrofits in <some> vehicle headlight buckets are a good idea (it works well on a C-14) but the aftermarket supply and use of lamps beyond about 5,400 Kelvin is a bad idea for two main reasons; they produce less light, and the shift toward the blue side of the spectrum causes more glare to oncoming traffic.

Brian

Hey Brian,
Looks like we're getting different information handed to us.
This is off the hidnation site.... http://hidnation.com/     (under the FAQ's)

"What does 3000k, 6000k, 8000k, etc. mean?
These numbers are associated with color temperatures. Each number represents a color. The break-down is an industry standard and each number correlates as such: 3000k-yellow 6000k-platinum/bright white 8000k-baby blue/light blue 10000k-blue 12000k-deep blue/hint of purple."

-Guess we're both just going off of what we read...Never the less, HID RULES !!!
- I love the headlights, lots of performance, lots of compliments, and best of all I am more visible, day and night.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline rydbaby

• 2011 C14
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2012, 12:47:36 PM »
I put in the long 25 LED T10's.  They just fit and although they are not as bright from the front as the 6/8 front facing LED's (I tested all 3) I'm going to leave them in because you can REALLY see them from the side of the bike.  IMO overall more visual presence.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2012, 03:37:03 PM »
I put in the long 25 LED T10's.  They just fit and although they are not as bright from the front as the 6/8 front facing LED's (I tested all 3) I'm going to leave them in because you can REALLY see them from the side of the bike.  IMO overall more visual presence.

I am still waiting for an LED bulb that is amber, omni directional, and much brighter than incandescent.  Haven't found anything yet :(   It's too bad too, because the technology exists now, just nobody is making one.  It might be due to the need for a larger heat sink that just can't fit in the T10 package.

However, for TURN SIGNAL bulbs, there is much more space.  And, yet, again, I have found nothing even as bright as incandescent :(  If anyone DOES think they have found something, do speak up!  I am running my front turn signals full time as running lights, and they are freaking HOT.   http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2236.0