Author Topic: City Lights?  (Read 37010 times)

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
Re: City Lights?
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 07:13:59 PM »
Accessing the city lights is a snap!  Just pop 4 quick rivets, remove a panel, and pop them out.  Headlights and front turn signals look like they are a pain in the butt....

Exact reason why I am putting off the HID headlights  :(

Flathead

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 07:59:09 PM »
I suppose I could check the service manual, but it's Sunday and I'm lazy.

How much of a PITA is it to access the bulbs? Ditto the headlights, as I'd like to go to HID?

Changing headlight bulbs on my last Honda ST1100 was a half-day job because of all the pieces needing removal to get to them, and even then you could barely get at the bulbs. I always assumed they started with the headlight bulbs installed and built the rest of the bike around it.
Headlight bulbs are easy, you can reach from in front of the forks unless you have baseball mitts for hands  ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 07:06:55 AM »
Headlight bulbs are easy, you can reach from in front of the forks unless you have baseball mitts for hands  ;)

Are we talking about the same bike?  Granted, I have never tried, but the service manual says you have to remove the windshield, and then the "inner cover" to change the headlight bulbs.  In any case, this is hijacking the thread...  headlights are not city lights...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jonathan

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 08:50:14 AM »
Are we talking about the same bike?  Granted, I have never tried, but the service manual says you have to remove the windshield, and then the "inner cover" to change the headlight bulbs.  In any case, this is hijacking the thread...  headlights are not city lights...

[hijack]Not true. The headlight bulbs can be changed from above. Just turn the bars to the left so that you can get to the right bulb and visa versa.[/hijack]

Offline leisyman

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 01:09:03 PM »
Can someone clarify what the city lights are really for, other than running lights?

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 04:05:53 PM »
Jeremy,
Curious what you paid for your HID kit(s) from A&R.
I purchased mine from HID Nation.  Both bulbs and ballasts, an extra 19.99 for lifetime warranty / free replacement, plus shipping-  I paid a grand total of $76.00 !!!
I am very happy with them-  Installation is easy, just takes a little time.
Thanks,
Tom
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 04:06:50 PM »
Can someone clarify what the city lights are really for, other than running lights?

Nobody seems to know.  They appear to be more decorative than anything else.  Yet they have so much promise for additional safety if made brighter and amber.

Since my LED experimentation has failed, I have been trying to locate brighter-than-5W amber bulbs that will work.  After many hours of searching, I have failed with that too.  I found that 10W bulbs do exist but are very rare, and never amber.  10W might also be pushing it heat-wise, since the socket is nothing but soft rubber.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »
Sorry, I got off subject a bit talking about HID lights.
As for the City Lights, I heard they were "required" in some countries so mamma Kaw just put them on ALL C14's/GTR's, regardless of where the bike was shipped/sold... one design.
I could be wrong.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 04:44:47 PM »
Jeremy,
Curious what you paid for your HID kit(s) from A&R.
I purchased mine from HID Nation.  Both bulbs and ballasts, an extra 19.99 for lifetime warranty / free replacement, plus shipping-  I paid a grand total of $76.00 !!!
I am very happy with them-  Installation is easy, just takes a little time.
Thanks,
Tom

I paid around $90, and my kit only comes with a two year warranty.  So I will check HID nation out on my next HID purchase.  I just had to send in my wiring harness due a bad connection somewhere in it.  Rob sent me an email within 30 minutes and told me to send it in and he would do his best to repair or replace and have a new one on it's way to me within a day.  A&R knows how to deal with a customer.  Two thumbs up for Rob at A&R. 

Sorry for the thread jack.

Back to marker lights. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Stavee

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 09:27:22 PM »
I like the looks of this hope the police do as well.

First bike '38 DKW

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 12:22:27 AM »
I like the looks of this hope the police do as well.

Yep, in many areas that is a guaranteed ticket.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 07:49:40 AM »
I have amber headlight bulbs and amber led 'city lights' from Autolumination in my 2010 C14.  I've always liked the idea of 'being seen'.  The lights seem to gain attention .... and the LEOs don't seem to mind.

I think that amber headlights are "ok legal" in many states ... altho, I could be incorrect.  I know mine are pretty bright.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 02:41:38 PM »
Amber headlight bulbs................WTF?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 02:59:27 PM »
I have amber headlight bulbs and amber led 'city lights' from Autolumination in my 2010 C14.  I've always liked the idea of 'being seen'.  The lights seem to gain attention .... and the LEOs don't seem to mind.

I think that amber headlights are "ok legal" in many states ... altho, I could be incorrect.  I know mine are pretty bright.

The feds require white headlight bulbs, I believe, in new vehicles sold in the US.  State laws may differ as to what you can do where you live after the sale.  You could ask 5 LEOs and get 5 different answers on the subject.  Amber does stand out a bit amongst all the white lights out there now as many vehicles are coming with daytime running lamps (white).  It used to be that we would stand out amongst the vehicle traffic but not anymore. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 03:21:09 PM »
See if this comes out ... these could be tooooo BIG. ??

Offline Bagger

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 03:25:09 PM »
See if I can get a couple more photogs of my "amber lights" ....  8)

They are much more AMBER in person than here ...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »

I am 100% in favor of amber city lights.  In fact, mine are already amber (as you can see from previous postings).  I just wish they were twice as bright- but that is not possible because LED's are much dimmer than even the stock incandescent bulb, and NOBODY makes more powerful incandescents.  Even if they did, it might melt the rubbery bulb holder.

But amber headlights?  I certainly would not want that.  Not even if it was just a tint.  Also not sure if that would be legal (I am fairly sure it isn't).  You can have additional amber driving lamps and fog lamps, but I believe the headlamps are supposed to be white.  (And yes, those blue fake HID things out there are also illegal).

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 03:35:51 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »
Amber does stand out a bit amongst all the white lights out there now as many vehicles are coming with daytime running lamps (white).  It used to be that we would stand out amongst the vehicle traffic but not anymore.

That is exactly why I converted my front turn signals to bright amber, full-time running lights, that blink OFF as turn signals, instead of on.  I am much more visible and "different" from the front as well as the sides.  I am VERY pleased with the result, except the heat.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2236

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 03:51:42 PM »
I believe amber headlights are legal in the US. They actually used to be a requirement in France and the lamps themselves were coated with cadmium to change the color.... and then we learned now nasty an element cadmium actually is and that stopped. Back to the US- I believe we are limited in how far we can move toward the blue end of the spectrum with 6,000 K being illegal but I do not believe there is a limit on the orange end. Orange light is less annoying to the human eye than blue light is so a light with a bluish tint of exactly the same intensity causes more annoyance than the equivalent light with an orange tinge.

Brian

<snip>

But amber headlights?  I certainly would not want that.  Not even if it was just a tint.  Also not sure if that would be legal (I am fairly sure it isn't).  You can have additional amber driving lamps and fog lamps, but I believe the headlamps are supposed to be white.  (And yes, those blue fake HID things out there are also illegal).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com