Author Topic: Battle of the CANS!  (Read 25852 times)

Offline KawiG

Re: Battle of the CANS!
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »
Living In South Florida with all the traffic, I can also see where loud and obnoxious has it's benefits! Lots of hearing impaired drivers down here that just might not be able to see you but can hear something loud close by. The volume could get old on a long ride though.
Live Fast and Ride Free, when we're no longer free....Ride Fast.

Offline Spanky

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 10:47:13 AM »
I have the Area P full system with the noise suppresion insert? Not sure exactly what they call it, but it is two pieces. I believe it was about $45.00. The outer piece just reduces the size of the exhaust opening and does reduce the noise to some extent. The second piece can be inserted into the first one with one allen screw and makes the exhaust only slightly louder than stock. This does choke out the bike in the upper rev range, but can be removed or installed in about a minute. The quality of the pipe seems to be very good, but I would not call it quiet without the insert.

Offline KawiG

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 10:50:34 AM »
I have the Area P full system with the noise suppresion insert? Not sure exactly what they call it, but it is two pieces. I believe it was about $45.00. The outer piece just reduces the size of the exhaust opening and does reduce the noise to some extent. The second piece can be inserted into the first one with one allen screw and makes the exhaust only slightly louder than stock. This does choke out the bike in the upper rev range, but can be removed or installed in about a minute. The quality of the pipe seems to be very good, but I would not call it quiet without the insert.
How about a video with and without?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 11:01:24 AM »
Living In South Florida with all the traffic, I can also see where loud and obnoxious has it's benefits! Lots of hearing impaired drivers down here that just might not be able to see you but can hear something loud close by.

Loud does not mean safe.  It just annoying.  http://www.noiseoff.org/motorcycles.php
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline KawiG

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 11:03:36 AM »
good reading :)

Offline Spanky

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 11:03:56 AM »
How about a video with and without?

It is a wonder I can use a computer :). I don't have a video camera and I don't know of anyone who does. Check the area P website, they may have something. I know there are utube videos of the connie with the area p on it. I listened to them before I bought mine.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 11:21:31 AM »
Just get a Muzzy or an Area P can, there is a very good reason why they are the most popular choices. 8)

+1... You get what you pay for IMO.  :goodpost:

Offline KawiG

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 11:37:09 AM »
This one sounds pretty good.
http://youtu.be/hTPlylQtYZ0

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 11:37:38 AM »
The Leo, Muzzy and Area P do not drone at highway/interstate speeds, that was very important for me. I would stay away from the Two Brothers and the V&H if I were you, if you don't do allot of trips though it may not matter much to you.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 12:59:42 PM »
Would love to hear a Leo Vince system.
The Leo Vince comes with an insert at no extra charge. First think I purchased for my Concours. I sure could have used a hand doing this.

Here's a clip without the insert:
MVI_1686.AVI

And here's one with the insert:
MVI_1685.AVI

I've ridden both with it installed and without. Eventually settled on leaving it in.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline KawiG

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 04:16:10 PM »
The Leo Vince comes with an insert at no extra charge. First think I purchased for my Concours. I sure could have used a hand doing this.

Awesome!  Thanks Man your effort is appreciated! :chugbeer:
 Definitely like the size of the Leo system! Like I always tell my wife smaller is better ;)

Offline texrider

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »
Anybody have a stock muffler from their '10-up they don't want? I was thinking of trying it on my '09.
(in the D/FW area)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2012, 07:29:13 PM »
Anybody have a stock muffler from their '10-up they don't want? I was thinking of trying it on my '09.
(in the D/FW area)

I thought the stock mufflers on all years were identical.  No?
I know the side pipe is a bit different on 2010+, it is polished and has a heat shield.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »
Whichever you choose (Area P :p), you'll be surprised at the amount of air coming out! To feel your pants flap in the breeze, from 2 to 3 feet behind, at idle, will make you look to see who's tapping your leg. ;)
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline curly

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 07:04:45 AM »
(in the D/FW area)

Check the for sale on this site. Someone has one listed for $100.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 07:05:59 AM »
Whichever you choose (Area P :p), you'll be surprised at the amount of air coming out! To feel your pants flap in the breeze, from 2 to 3 feet behind, at idle, will make you look to see who's tapping your leg. ;)

+1 It's funny the way that it does that. I noticed leaves getting blown around in a strange way several feet behind the bike while idling. It's like it sends balls of air shooting out.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Zteve

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2012, 07:34:13 AM »
Loud does not mean safe.  It just annoying.  http://www.noiseoff.org/motorcycles.php
I especially like this advice  :rotflmao:

Take Action
Do not approach or attempt to reason with motorcycle riders. When possible, take down their license plate number and call the police.

Learn the existing noise codes in your community and how it applies to motorcycles. Lobby elected officials for EPA stamp enforcement.

Raise public awareness in your community and speak up at public hearings and meetings.

If you see a motorcycle shop opening up in your community, organize with community groups and send a clear message that the sale and installation of illegal exhaust systems will not be tolerated.

Riders who choose to ride with illegal exhaust systems ruin the image of the lifestyle and sport of motorcycling for others. Responsible riders and motorcycle clubs should advocate the use of legal exhaust systems.

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2012, 08:54:02 AM »
I also have one from a 2010, just haven't had a chance to get it up in the for sale section.

Check the for sale on this site. Someone has one listed for $100.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012, 09:05:29 AM »
I changed my 2009's original to a 2010 factory.  I always leave the bags and just installed a huge Corbin trunk so the pipe looks normal on  mine all things considered.  Without the bags the pipe looks 2x as big.

Before

After

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »
Thanks for the posts on the Leo Vince. Like the sound and the looks of this can.