Author Topic: Seat Confort  (Read 25777 times)

Offline jemmons

Seat Confort
« on: June 04, 2012, 10:20:37 PM »
Any suggestions on how to increase confort for my backside?  I can ride about 4 hours with a couple short breaks in between and then I am in major discomfort.  My previous bike (Tiger 1050) I could ride 10 hours a day and not feel as if I had to get off. I did upgrade the foam to eliminate the down angle and I do use one of those Alaskan Sheepskins.  Is there another aftermarket add on to help with the pain?  I have been thinking about doing a 2k ride but not sure I would survive.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Seat Confort
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 04:25:03 AM »
I find Long distance riding shorts help a lot. The Airhawk and Airhawk II seat cusions also help a lot if they are inflated just right. I have actually used my AirHawk II underneath my Alaska Leather sheepskin. Of course you can always get one of the several aftermarket seat available  in a wide range of price and comfort levels.

When you say "backside" I assume you mean "butt". Everybody is different and for me at 6 feet even  my thighs are much more a comfort problem than my butt. I have helped that with peg lowerers in addition to the extra leg room provided by padding the seat. I have also added Ronnies highway pegs.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline texrider

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 07:19:42 AM »
I find that some jeans being a bit too snug in the seat/thigh area causes riding discomfort. The stock seat on my '09 has been one of the best over dozens of other bikes through the years. I always try different riding pants first, and it's a lot cheaper.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »
My rides were no more than 200 miles round trip. But over the Memorial day weekend, wife and I did 1100 miles over two days. And I had a case of monkey butt. I am thinking it is the slick seat cover that is the issue in my case. Planning to have someone mod my seat to reduce the slide angle and cover it with a material that is more rough - like the gel seat cover.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 04:09:29 PM »
My rides were no more than 200 miles round trip. But over the Memorial day weekend, wife and I did 1100 miles over two days. And I had a case of monkey butt. I am thinking it is the slick seat cover that is the issue in my case. Planning to have someone mod my seat to reduce the slide angle and cover it with a material that is more rough - like the gel seat cover.

:o  Ouch!

Offline CIG4R

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 04:30:59 PM »
There been a name from Fla mentioned who does seats.
I used Mean City Cycles in N.C. for mine, put in memory foam and cut the height down an inch.
Much more comfortable than stock for a low dollar fix, 6 hours in the saddle, I good with it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 04:48:38 PM »
I have a Russell seat with the fabric top.  I've put insulating foam on the bottom of the seat and blocked the heat coming from within the bike to the rear with foam.  I also use anti-perspirant on the areas that sweat.  I don't get monkey butt any more.  Still get a tad sore but not that.  I've had it.  Don't like it at all.  Nearly had to ride prone on one long ride it was so bad.

I don't think that jeans are the best to be riding in as they chafe like crazy.  Noticed a new Gold Bond product that is supposed to alleviate the friction....

http://www.goldbond.com/friction-defense.html

Gonna give that a try as well.  It's advertised for bicycle riders but I think we have the same issues....at least in the seat and thigh areas.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Spanky

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »
+1 on the airhawk recommendation. I have a corbin seat, but the addition of the airhawk R made it 1,000 mile day comfortable. I road the dragon twice (my sig picture) and the cherohala skyway, then road home to Pennsylvania in one day and my butt was fine.

Offline goodthymes

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »
B A L D W I N

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 06:57:34 PM »
B A L D W I N

I put close to 10,000 miles on my custom leather Baldwin but could never do more than about 150 miles at a stretch without getting into the pain zone. I also have put an Airhawk under a sheepskin on top of the seat for relief, and it does help at the cost of a sense of connection to the road. Good for the highway, but I need to be right on the saddle for back road work.

This year I had Spencer work on the stock seat and am getting a lot more non-stop endurance.

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 08:54:57 PM »
Jemmons, I removed foam in a patten taken from my butt. I refer to it now as "magic fingers"....just a thought.
77 KZ900 (still riding) 05 C10, 2010 C14

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 08:58:49 PM »
I have a Russell seat with the fabric top.  I've put insulating foam on the bottom of the seat and blocked the heat coming from within the bike to the rear with foam.  I also use anti-perspirant on the areas that sweat. I don't get monkey butt any more.  Still get a tad sore but not that.  I've had it.  Don't like it at all.  Nearly had to ride prone on one long ride it was so bad.

I don't think that jeans are the best to be riding in as they chafe like crazy.  Noticed a new Gold Bond product that is supposed to alleviate the friction....

http://www.goldbond.com/friction-defense.html

Gonna give that a try as well.  It's advertised for bicycle riders but I think we have the same issues....at least in the seat and thigh areas.

Do you use Secret?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 08:59:27 PM »
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 04:10:36 AM »

Do you use Secret?

I think I've used my wife's on occasion in a pinch.  She doesn't care for that much.  I don't why....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 04:13:24 AM »
You told her? Did you tell her what you did with her tooth brush too?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 04:56:31 AM »
You told her? Did you tell her what you did with her tooth brush too?

I have used that to clean mc and auto parts....again she wasn't happy.  I don't know why.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:38:24 PM by VirginiaJim »

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 03:48:33 PM »
Baby powder or talc helps too. Use to get occasionally when I raced street bikes 100+ miles.

Monkey butt (aka. Jeep-ass) is no fun...

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 09:20:37 PM »
Monkey butt (aka. Jeep-ass) is no fun...

???

Hadn't heard that one before OL. Any pics?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 04:11:25 AM »
Really?

???

Hadn't heard that one before OL. Any pics?

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 07:41:59 AM »
I use a beaded seat cover (from WM) with great success. I use it for trips over 2 hours.

Beadrider makes much better looking ones than the WM model.