Author Topic: Try a windshield for free....  (Read 244271 times)

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
Re: Try a windshield for free....
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2012, 06:53:26 AM »
I tried out both and thought the V-stream offered more wind protection.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline mbdcon

« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2012, 02:10:41 PM »
Received the shields. Thanks Bosco.

Will try them out this week.

mbdcon

Offline mbdcon

« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »
I tried out both windshields. 

I’m 6’2” and have a big problem with wind noise.  The V-Stream significantly reduced the noise.  I think it is one of the few after-market windshields that is made of polycarbonate and NOT Acrylic.  Bought one on-line.

The Cal-Sci  didn’t  seem that different from the stock windshield.

They are both packed up ready to be shipped to anyone who wants to try them.  Just send me a pm.

mbd

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
PM sent.  I'm really interested to see how the V-stream does 2-up, since the aerodynamics with both of us on the bike are quite different than when riding solo.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline mbdcon

« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
PM sent.

Offline mbdcon

« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »
Windshields shipped.  I pm'd the tracking number.

Enjoy!

Mbdcon

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »
I got the windshields in week before last, and promptly went out of town for the Zero to Hero thing in Vegas.  Tested out the V-stream last week, and rode in today with the CalSci installed.  Experience pretty much mirrors what everyone else here has said, but I'll do up an eval anyway.

Bike: '09 - with the Kawi Touring shield installed since new (I bought the dealer's test-ride bike and they had upgraded). As I understand it, the taller shield is the same as comes stock on the '10+ bikes.  Also, I've got a Baldwin Saddle that I think sits a smidge higher than stock due to the upgraded foam.  Also, I have a Givi E52 that I always have on the bike, which may play into the backpressure issue I'll mention below.

Rider: 6'0", 32" inseam.  Shoei QWEST helmet.

V-Stream: As others have said, this thing is only a bit taller than the '10+ shield but due to the 'V-bubble' it arcs further away from me and appears a LOT larger.  With the shield fully up it's nearly dead quiet from the rider's seat.  However, it moves around A LOT in anything other than clean air (crosswind, following other vehicles, etc).  I can see over the shield when it's all the way up, but  have to look through it for lower speed cornering and when in traffic (i.e when I'm not looking way down the road.  I could probably get used to that, but the movement thing weirds me out quite a bit. I didn't put my wife on the back with that one, as I wanted to test both shields and see which one I preferred before getting her opinion from the back seat.

CalSci: Being the medium it's very nearly the same size as my current shield, but it makes a big difference in wind noise.  If I drop my head 1/2"-1" I can get into the same near dead quiet pocket as the V-Stream.  I'm going to try it out with my wife on the back and see what she thinks.  I might try and copy the cutout from this shield onto the stocker and see if I can get just a bit more 'loft' with the air coming off the top of the shield.  Based on it being very similar in size to my current shield, I think with the added cutout on the stocker I might not need to invest in another shield.  If not, I'll probably grab a CalSci large since they're 1.75" taller and should eliminate having to drop my head to get into the sweet spot for wind cutout.

I'll post back here once my wife chimes in and then box them up for whoever's next (list is currently blank).

Damaged Goods

« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2012, 06:40:08 PM »
I'm a new member, just bought me a Concours14 a week ago. I love the bike, except for the fact that I'm 6'2 and the wind hits me in the face with the windsheild all the way up. From reading the post it seems to me that the V-steam may be the way to go. Don't know how to try out the windsheild for free, but I would love to give it a shot, or some advice on the issue maybe there is a taller windsheild out there that I don't know about. Thanks for any advice on the matter.

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »
Here's the CalSci Medium held in place in front of the stock shield with some painter's tape and pinch clamps. Note that it's a bit taller in the middle, which is why it is almost tall enough for me.

And the V-stream.  A good bit taller than the stock tall shield.

Additionally, the V-stream sits further away from the rider at the top due to the shape of the shield.

The way to get these is to PM me your address and I'll pack them back up and send them on to you!  The 'free' bit is that you get them sent to you for free, and the 'cost' is the shipping cost to the next forum member who wants to give them a shot.  Savvy viewers will note that I've added the CalSci shield cutout to my stock shield.  This helps, but isn't quite enough.  I'll probably end up picking up a CalSci Large, once it percolates up past the cut line on the budget list.

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »
Add me to the list please.

From the previous list post:
Damaged Goods
Kinetic1

No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2012, 04:32:26 PM »
Ok, so the current list is
Damaged Goods
Kinetic 1

Box (which has been around, btw) was shipped this morning via USPS.  I pm'd the tracking numbers to DG, and estimated delivery is the 18th.  Gotta say, this is a great opportunity and one of the cool side-effects of the internet allowing us to pool collective knowledge, experience, and in this case resources amongst a group of like-minded sport-tourers.

Enjoy!

Offline Kinetic1

« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2012, 05:54:42 AM »
I heard from Damaged Goods that he will be shipping them to me soon. Who will be next on the list?

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2012, 11:52:52 AM »
I heard from Damaged Goods that he will be shipping them to me soon. Who will be next on the list?

Do like I did. Just leave the one you like on your bike until someone steps up and asks for them. I did have them in the colder months, so interest was light and I got to keep the CalSci medium on my bike for a little while. It didn't get cold in North Texas at that time, so it came in handy for the cool weather.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Lone-Rider

« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2012, 11:06:39 AM »

I'm in, Just picked up a C-14 and now need to decide on a shield for the cooler months. Stock shield should be fine for me for summer, but I need to go with something bigger come fall.

Just to make sure I understand the program, they get shipped to me no cost, then I cover shipping to the next guy who wants to try them, correct?

Offline Kinetic1

« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2012, 05:41:20 AM »
Yep, that is it. When I get them I will try them both out and get them shipped to you. I'll let you know when they are ready to be shipped and you can PM me your address.

Damaged Goods

« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2012, 10:18:33 AM »
Sent the windshield's to you Kinetic1 they should be there by friday, sat at the latest with a holiday this week. Sorry it took so long to get to you, hope you enjoy them.

Offline Kinetic1

« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2012, 11:19:01 AM »
Thanks DG. Appreciate the update.

Offline Kinetic1

« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2012, 10:16:21 PM »
God bless the postal service, they showed up today. Thanks DG!

I put the Cal-Sci on first and rode about 100 miles. Way better than stock but not quite tall enough. It would be just right if it were about an inch (maybe two) taller. I am 6' tall with a 34" (sack to floor) inseam. It is also way better looking than the stocker IMHO.

Without having ridden with the V-stream yet I can't say but if I were ordering right now I would order the cal-sci large (I think this is a medium) and I think I would be very happy.

The V-stream is on the bike and I will try to get a ride in on Wednesday evening. My work schedule just will not permit any sooner. I am also going to try and get my wife on the back to see which she prefers which requires a sitter. I promise I will get them shipped out as soon as possible though. I'm thinking I should be able to get them out no later than next Monday or Tuesday.

On a side note. You can certainly tell these have been around the block a time or two. I would describe them as "rough condition" if I were selling them. They actually look better than I expected though given their rather extraordinary history. This is a really cool thing going on here and I am very thankful for the opportunity to try before I buy.

Offline Kinetic1

« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »
Well, I put the Vstream on and rode back to work from lunch. I hate it. I don't like the way it moves air and feel the cal sci does a much better job of air management. It also wiggles a-lot as many have said. I don't mind the look at all though. I am putting the cal-sci back on and am taking my wife for a ride tomorrow night.

Offline Kinetic1

« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2012, 06:56:33 PM »
Well, Cal sci it is out of these two for sure. Is there anyone near Grand Rapids Michigan that has a Cee-Baileys I could try by chance?

Lone Rider, I will box them up and ship them as soon as I have an address from you. PM me and I will get them sent out.