Author Topic: Try a windshield for free....  (Read 243236 times)

Offline jwolffie

Re: Try a windshield for free....
« Reply #200 on: February 10, 2013, 11:06:37 AM »
The testing is going good so far but I have noticed it is like comparing apples to oranges with a medium and two larges in the box so I sent this email to Cal-Sci:

Hi,
There is a forum for Kawasaki Concours 14 owners and part of that forum is a thread where we can test a few windshields for just the price of shipping.   http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=914.0
In the box of windshields there is a V-Stream, a large Aeroflow prototype, and a medium Cal-Sci. I currently have the box of windshields and am testing them now. What I have noticed is that it is like comparing apples to oranges right now with your windshield being the only one in a medium size. Is there any way you could donate a large size to the collection in exchange for the medium size one? I am in southern California so it would not be long to ship one back and forth and get the windshields on the way to the next person on the list.
Now that I have tried all of them I am probably going to get one of your windshields like many others that tried it have, I am just not sure if I want a large or an extra-large so far.
Jon

I am ready to ship the box to Broz as soon as I get a reply back from Cal-Sci, Dusty1300 said it is too cold there still for him to ride.
Black 2011
Full Delkevic no cat, Ivan's Flash, Projector headlights, Dunlop Q3+
Valentine 1 with JBV1 on phone

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #201 on: February 11, 2013, 10:33:25 AM »
Great idea, I hope they send you one. You should ask for the large wide?
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #202 on: February 13, 2013, 10:05:56 PM »
Update

Many thanks to Mark :hail: at Cal-Sci who is shipping us an Extra Large Extra Wide for the box. It should be here Friday or possibly Monday, I will give it a real quick try and then they are all off to Broz.

I just checked and Cee Baileys is only about 100 miles from here so I will call them tomorrow morning and see if they have a shield for the box too.
What do you all think of this idea? It looks like the box will hold 4 shields OK but not 5 of them. If I get us a Cee Bailey shield too should I get a bigger box to fit all 5 which will increase shipping costs, $26.18 is what it costs to send the box to me with 3 shields in it. Or, should I leave the medium Cal-Sci out, as it is almost the same size as the 2010 and up windshield, and just put the 4 in the current box?

Broz, and everyone else on the current list, let me know what you prefer.  :feedback:

Thanks, Jon
Black 2011

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #203 on: February 13, 2013, 10:21:38 PM »
So far in my testing this is what I have found:

V stream - It worked OK for me, but just OK, Still way better than the stock 2011 Shield.

Aeroflow large - Silent, large, and very functional, it probably worked the best of all of the shields so far. For me the shape was the deal breaker, it just didn't match the lines of the bike. But if you like a quiet shield this one works.

Cal-Sci medium - worked almost as well as the Aeroflow and was very quiet if I ducked down some. It matched the lines of the bike well, and was 100x quieter than my stock windshield so I ordered a large one yesterday, it should be here Friday too.
Black 2011

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #204 on: February 14, 2013, 08:14:37 AM »
I talked to Ken at Cee Baileys and he is sending us a windshield for the box too. It should be here next week! :chugbeer:
Black 2011

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #205 on: February 14, 2013, 01:59:06 PM »
That is awesome.  I think you should include all the shields in the shipping box.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline Broz

« Reply #206 on: February 14, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »
Jon,
I don't necessarily need to test the cal sci medium but whatever works easiest. I bet a lot of folks would like to try all of them.  Mighty nice of them to throw in the large shields to add to the program.  Smart business.  Thanks for reaching out and helping improve a great loaner program.

Broz
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #207 on: February 14, 2013, 09:22:49 PM »
I think we should include all the shields. You may not want to test them fine. Others on down the line may want to.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #208 on: February 14, 2013, 11:04:15 PM »
All it is, I will find a way to pack all 5 in one box so they stay together. Ken at Cee Baileys said they are building us a windshield and I should have it in 4-5 working days. I will have the new Cal-Sci by then too and will post a list of the contents of the new box and hopefully get it in the mail by next Saturday or sooner if possible. We will have quite a nice selection to try now.
Thanks to everyone who made this possible!

Let me know when someone does a "try a muffler for free" cause I'm in. FYI, the manufactures are more receptive than you would think, this is a very small one time investment for them to get their product in front of a lot of potential buyers. It helps when you are near them too, lower shipping costs.

Black 2011

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #209 on: February 15, 2013, 10:51:46 PM »
Everything arrived, the box will now have in it:

• V stream
  • Aeroflow large
  • Cal-Sci medium
  • Cal-Sci extra large extra wide
  • Cee Bailey's medium
  • Cee Bailey's large

I will have the box(s) in the mail Monday to Broz. What a great program this is, happy testing.
Black 2011

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #210 on: February 16, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »
Cal-Sci medium - worked almost as well as the Aeroflow and was very quiet if I ducked down some. It matched the lines of the bike well, and was 100x quieter than my stock windshield so I ordered a large one yesterday, it should be here Friday too.

jwolffie - Do let us know what you think of the Cal-Sci large. I have a V-Stream on the bike now but it has never really "rung my bell". I tried the windshields a while back but neither the Cal-Sci medium nor the Aeroflow improved things much. Wish the others had been in the box when it came my way. Would really like to find a quieter shield but still on the fence here.

Thanks,
Dave
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #211 on: February 16, 2013, 08:42:29 PM »
Everything arrived, the box will now have in it:

• V stream
  • Aeroflow large
  • Cal-Sci medium
  • Cal-Sci extra large extra wide
  • Cee Bailey's medium
  • Cee Bailey's large

I will have the box(s) in the mail Monday to Broz. What a great program this is, happy testing.

It all fit in one box, the box is 33 lbs and shipping to Broz via USPS is $38 for ground shipping. It's ready to ship first thing next week.
Black 2011

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #212 on: February 16, 2013, 08:48:56 PM »
jwolffie - Do let us know what you think of the Cal-Sci large. I have a V-Stream on the bike now but it has never really "rung my bell". I tried the windshields a while back but neither the Cal-Sci medium nor the Aeroflow improved things much. Wish the others had been in the box when it came my way. Would really like to find a quieter shield but still on the fence here.

Thanks,
Dave

I tried them all and for me the Cal-Sci large that I bought is perfect for me (6'1" stock seat). If you ride 2 up a lot the xl or xl/xw would be better. the Cal-Sci also had the least amount of shaking or movement of all of the shields. With the large I can still see over it and still have a very quiet helmet.

Lots of choices in the box now. :chugbeer:
Black 2011

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #213 on: February 19, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »
The windshields were dropped off this morning and on the way to Broz now, the new shipping cost was $38.87 from CA to NC. Not too bad, just over $6 per windshield to try them. I put all of the windshields into tee-shirts in order to get all 6 to fit into the original box and keep the shipping lower. I left some of the foam pieces in the box too to protect the sides of the windshields. Cee Bailey's came wrapped in plastic with a sticker that said not to tighten them tighter than 4 inch pounds or they may crack so I put a note on the windshields.

Thanks for this great program, it really helped me decide what to buy.

FYI, the box is 27x29x11 inches and 33 lb. 9 oz
Black 2011

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #214 on: February 19, 2013, 09:08:20 PM »

Thanks,
Dave

It is not as quiet as the Aeroflow but it was close enough for me, and the outline of the Cal-Sci matches the bike better in my opinion. I'm sure it is different for everyone as to which shield works better for them. The list is still short if you want to try them again.
Black 2011

Offline dusty1300

« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2013, 10:00:14 PM »
Just a followup for those who were wondering about me and the list. I live in northern iowa. it is cold, snowy and nasty out, my two concours are put away on battery tenders, but awaiting Spring. I would appreciate keeping my name on the list as I'm very interested in finding a shield that will work for me.  For now, you can keep passing me up till the weather shapes up here. Probably another month or two. 

Sorry for not being around here too much. In the Winter, I spend more time on the guitar forum than the biking forums.

Tom

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #216 on: February 25, 2013, 07:36:08 AM »
I am amazed that this windshield "program" is still alive. I bought my C14 in Sept.2008. IIRC a medium Calsci was offered for use simply for the price of shipping and then passing it on by a fellow forum member, ?Don I believe, in Dec. 2008. I wound up buying a 6.75" Calsci shield that worked pretty good for me but my wife still had some wind issues ( the edge of this shield looked like it was cut with a handheld jigsaw). I then got a Cee Bailey Ulta Dome which satisfies both of us. Good luck.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline Broz

« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2013, 08:07:51 PM »
Gents,
I received the shields yesterday.  I have 2 more to test out and will have these shields out to the next guy on the list By Monday.   Props to jwolfie for giving up those t-shirts to protect the merchandise.  I bet his wife was bugging him to clean out the drawer for years now.
So far I'm most impressed with the Cee Baily large.  Would be nice to have a Cal Sci large to compare it to.
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

voileauciel

« Reply #218 on: February 27, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »
Hello!

Just bought a 2012 C14 this past weekend. Any chance I can get on this list also? I'm in New Jersey, and would gladly meet someone somewhere to pick these up. Will also happily pay shipping to the next person as well!

Offline Broz

« Reply #219 on: February 28, 2013, 04:02:56 AM »
Deepseamdv (on the way to)
Dusty1300
jwolffie
Broz
Bosco
denver23

I think this is correct

Bosco has decided to let Denver 23 go next and we got a new name to the list jersey boy V....something on my phone and can't flip back to see it. Jersey boy that's the way it works you will get them shipped to you, and you pay to ship to next guy on list.  The next guy on list will reach out via PM to get your address. I am waiting to hear from Denver23.

Broz
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black