Author Topic: Fine tuning a C14 (AreaP, ATRE, PCV & Autotune)  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Chris

Fine tuning a C14 (AreaP, ATRE, PCV & Autotune)
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:10:11 AM »
I've started to move towards a few items to fine tune my C14.  I am looking for feedback and suggestions to my plans!

First and foremost the torpedo needs to be gone.  Both for the looks & I'd like the  performance 1352CC engine to sound like one!  Settled on the Area P full system since it isn't suppose to be too much louder than stock but rather bring a nice deep tone to the bike.

If I am going for that I figure I might as well do a few more things to round out the upgrade.

After the time I spent trying to find a 2010 with ABS, I do not want to remove the flies and hobble the traction control system of the bike.  Instead I have ordered a GiPro ATRE to improve the fly issue.  I know it does not give the same increase as removing the flies all together, however it is a compromise I am willing to accept.

The stock air filter is the one I am sticking with.  I am passing on the BMC as I want the better filtering ability of the stock filter.  There is a fair amount of farm land where I ride & it can be quite dusty.

I'm going with a PCV and autotune to correct for the changes above.  I spoke with Jamie at Fuelmoto who has advised to use his AreaP, flies out, BMC filter map with this setup.  I figure by adding the autotune module on I can then let it adjust for the minor changes with the stock air filter & ATRE while aiming for the target AFR I specify.

To improve my cruising economy I was planning on creating a per gear map and focusing on performance with one exception.  Specifically gears 5 & 6 around the 2500 to 4000 rpm range with 15% throttle or less.  I'll run leaner there just to try and improve mileage when humming along on the highway.  I am thinking about 13.4 for the performance and 14.1 for mileage.

I'm looking for any thoughts or feedback on my plans.  I'd be quite interested in recommended target AFR for performance or mileage.  I'm really hoping for a pleasant boost in lower gear torque!

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
Re: Fine tuning a C14 (AreaP, ATRE, PCV & Autotune)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »
I would be interested in comments to the above post as well, as I am thinking of doing this as well to my 2010 ABS.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline dynotronics1

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 06:57:04 PM »
the secondary trottle plates are not really the problem on this bike. You would do well to put the correct timing back into the mix, and trim the lambda. It also helps if you adjust the fan temps a bit

Offline Chris

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 06:24:07 AM »
I followed the threads regarding ECU on the old server with interest.

Would it makes sense to have a reflash done to address those items and then still run a PCV and autotune to keep the fueling appropriate for other changes?

More specifically, can a reflash be independent of exhaust & intake changes (ie. one flash fits all) if the powercommander is used to control fuelling?

Offline dynotronics1

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:00:12 AM »
if you already have the piggy back like the PC , then yes thats a very nice way to "touch up" the tuning after the reflash. We have seen that the PC with auto tune makes almost no changes when applied to our reflash in most cases

Offline Chris

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 06:54:23 PM »
Do you have a good map for my planned setup?  I would be curious to see what the improvements are like.  I might have to plan a road trip to your shop for later in the summer once I have the new system. :)