Author Topic: Exhaust compatibility/interchangability  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Æon

Exhaust compatibility/interchangability
« on: May 10, 2017, 02:53:12 PM »
Hey all. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it's possible to pop any old slip-on exhaust for a similar diameter header on the C14?

From what I understand, we can use a variety of slip-ons or even shorten/modify the stock exhaust without having to re-map, and people seem to be saying that anything that increases air flow (within reason) is good, since the bike tends to run so rich.
So rather than spend $500 on a slip-on, I'm hoping I can just catch something cheap on the local CL and test it out?

Thanks

Offline connie_rider

Re: Exhaust compatibility/interchangability
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 02:59:20 PM »
Another Slip on could work.
But you need a mid pipe to put it on.

What makes a slip on "specific" for a Connie is the mid pipe that comes with it.
Otherwise the slip on's are semi universal...

The stock mid pipe is welded to the stock muffler and very difficult to cut off and adapt to a slip on.

I think a Delkivic for your Connie falls somewhere in the $250 range.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: If you had a set of used slip-on's for a ZX-1400, the right pipe would fit.

Offline Æon

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
Ohhhh actually I was going to ask... are those Delceviks decent?
Some of them look OK. I mean, anything looks better than stock. And they can't be all that different from the more expensive ones, in terms of air flow...

I'll do some searching.

Thanks!

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 05:41:57 PM »
Many in the club are happy with the Delks.

http://www.delkevic.us/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_8999_13348_13461&category_string=Motorcycles%20%26gt%3B%20Kawasaki%20%26gt%3B%202012 > Concours 1400 (2008-2017)

On the dyno they make similar power to the other Slip-on's.
Do best without the baffle installed.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jdsco

• 2008 C14 was, 2016 C14 is
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 09:48:34 AM »
Very affordable, very good quality and all stainless hardware. I had a Two BRos M5 on my 2008 C14. It was also very good quality, as an example, but twice the price of Delkevic. Significant weight savings with a slip-on and install is less than 1 hour.
STOCK 2016 ZG1400

"Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from making bad decisions."
Mark Twain

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 11:40:09 AM »
Significant weight savings

On a bike as heavy as the Connie an end can would need to be made of paper to get anywhere near a (what I would call) "significant" weight saving.

I mean even a 1% saving (which I wouldnt call significant) is  approx 3.5kg/8lbs and I can probably save that much by having a good #2 before riding ;)

To be significant it would need to be at least 10%

The only real valid reason for changing the can in the real world where you aren't measuring things to the nth degree is cosmetic (looks or sound)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 12:08:43 PM »
:)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc