Author Topic: Wiring advice for Heated Corbin  (Read 5021 times)

Offline Zman

• Arena
Wiring advice for Heated Corbin
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »
Greetings,

Got a heated Corbin on order. Bought a generic relay from Murph to wire it up.

Going to run spare accessory lead from back boot / harness to the relay so the seat will only heat when the ignition is on.

Two questions:

Murph package did not include a wiring diagram with the relay, anybody got one?

If I remember correctly the spare accessory lead in the back harness is a female plug. What is the technical description of the male plug that I need to plug into the spare connector?

Thanks in advance!!

Zman

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Wiring advice for Heated Corbin
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 06:12:47 PM »
The accessory connectors on a C-14 are bullet connectors, both 4mm (or 5/32"), with the male one being ground and the female one being positive. You will need one male and one female bullet connector to use the acc. leads.

The front accessory plugs are under the top/ left side fairing cover, inside the rubber boot. The rear connector is behind the ECU at the very back of the [under saddle] area,  also inside a rubber boot.

Brian

Greetings,

Got a heated Corbin on order. Bought a generic relay from Murph to wire it up.

Going to run spare accessory lead from back boot / harness to the relay so the seat will only heat when the ignition is on.

Two questions:

Murph package did not include a wiring diagram with the relay, anybody got one?

If I remember correctly the spare accessory lead in the back harness is a female plug. What is the technical description of the male plug that I need to plug into the spare connector?

Thanks in advance!!

Zman
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 08:24:06 PM »
Thanks Brian,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 05:15:53 PM »
Ok, here is the pin out on the 12 Volt Single Pole, Double Throw General Purpose Relay I have to wire my seat heat, using the rear accessory wire to control the relay.

Looking for some help to confirm the right way to wire it...............

Offline c14p builder

• Kawasaki Police
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 05:05:07 PM »
85-ground
86-accessory power
30-battery power
87-to seat.

The harness that will come with the heated corbin seat is very good, and has all that you will need to power the seat off of the accessory fuse in the stock fuse box.  Putting in a relay, which won't hurt a thing, will be overkill to say the least. The power demand for the seat is not very much.

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »
Thanks very much c14p builder......... I was of the understanding that the seat would not run on the switched accessory circuit........ Am I mistaken?

Z

Offline Unclesteve

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 07:36:46 PM »
I installed mine according to Corbin instructions. No relay needed. Runs on factory ignition only fuse. No fuss.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 03:52:45 AM »
Putting in a relay, which won't hurt a thing, will be overkill to say the least. The power demand for the seat is not very much.

The relay isn't being used to allow more power, it's being used to control "When" power is allowed.

If you install the Corbin per their directions, you can turn the heated seat on when the bike is switched off. If you forget to turn it off at the end of a ride, it can drain the battery if left on ling enough. The relay wired in as you described will disconnect the power avalible to the seat when the bike has been switched off. Thus eliminating the chance of the seat from draining the battery if it was left on.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline c14p builder

• Kawasaki Police
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »
If you jump off from the Accessory fuse it only has power when the key is on, so no relay needed. There will be no accidental drains from the seat being left on. 

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 03:46:30 PM »
If you jump off from the Accessory fuse it only has power when the key is on, so no relay needed. There will be no accidental drains from the seat being left on.

This wasn't the case on my 2011. It may just be that there's something not right on my bike. But the accessory fuse location on my bike has power to it even if the bike is totally shut down.
The Pope

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline c14p builder

• Kawasaki Police
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 03:54:13 PM »
Well, I stand corrected.  I just went out in the shop and checked and you are correct.  We connect the heated seat to the taillight fuse and it is switch power.  I was wrong for not checking first, but I assumed since accessory power at all the connection points are ignition hot and not battery power.  I guess that shows how much we do with the accessory circuit.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 04:00:12 PM »
That's ok. Sooooooo.... the tail light fuse is switched power ....... got to go!  ;D

Yes! The tail light fuse is switched power and it's a 10 amp fused circuit too!

Thanks c14p builder!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:31:39 PM by The Pope »
The Pope

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 05:52:10 AM »
So I'm liking that!! Just wire it into the tail light fuse, is what I'm concluding, no fuss, no muss.........

Thanks all!!

Z

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 06:59:21 AM »
So I'm liking that!! Just wire it into the tail light fuse, is what I'm concluding, no fuss, no muss.........

Thanks all!!

Z

Yep!
The Pope