Author Topic: My least favorite part of my C-14 has now let me down, KIPASS failure  (Read 31122 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: My least favorite part of my C-14 has now let me down, KIPASS failure
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2012, 04:47:13 AM »
No you don't.  It's not black.

Get it powder coated.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Supatramp

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »
I went across country in 2010.  No issues with the KIPASS system.

I went in 2011 and did.
Guess I should'a gone sooner  :-*

Offline ZG

• Arena

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2012, 10:47:47 AM »
I went in 2011 and did.
Guess I should'a gone sooner  :-*

That's probably it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2012, 07:18:43 PM »
Bad JuJu here...  Had a switch failure.  First time in about three years.  Went out to start it up after I had rode to a client's location and zilch, nada, nothing.  Pressed down and totally blank screen.  Started knocking it about and it finally came to life.  Will give it a good clean around the switch area tomorrow.  Drove it into the garage, let it sit, and tried it again.  No problems.  Hopefully I'm good for another three now.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Unclesteve

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »
I don't care to remove the stove pipe key. This is easier and when fueling I use it for the gas cap. I made two, one for each saddle bag. I just remove them if I need security.

Offline Unclesteve

« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2012, 07:51:24 PM »
This so I reduce the chance of being run over by an HUA driver.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »
I like that extra tail light.  Now just black out those screw heads and it will be perfect.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Unclesteve

« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2012, 08:01:57 PM »
This is a must, why did Kawasaki leave it off?

Worth the time it takes...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2012, 04:41:00 AM »
Ok, guys, back on topic, please.

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2012, 12:15:32 PM »
So is KiPass failure all or nothing?  You either get power or nothing?  I'm just curious because I'm having an issue, but I don't think it is KiPass.
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Conrad

« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2012, 12:18:31 PM »
So is KiPass failure all or nothing?  You either get power or nothing?  I'm just curious because I'm having an issue, but I don't think it is KiPass.

Yes, you're correct. If the activation switch is stuck you get nothing but aggravation.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »
Assuming the switch failure occurs within 24 hours of the last start, the red blinky light should be on, which is indication of power of some sort. 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2012, 04:08:16 PM »
Yes, a KiPass failure is almost certainly an outright failure and early too- right away in the starting process. If the dash lights and / or the bike makes any kind of noises at all, then KiPass is working fine. Unfortunately the symptoms of a KiPass failure and a dead battery are the same other than the red light flashing on the dash and that light only flashes for the first 24 hours after the bike is turned off anyway. So after a day goes by, a KiPass failure has the identical symptoms to a dead battery (the main battery)- you press the key down and absolutely nothing happens.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline pdlt

• Realistic about life
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2012, 06:48:32 PM »
So if I am reading this thread correctly, Kawa replaced a spring on later model bikes?  What year did they make the switch, and has there been any issues on bikes with the beefier spring?  Just curious.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2012, 09:04:18 PM »
So far not even a hiccup from KIPASS on my 2008.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »
It seems that no one outside of Kawasaki knows. Here is what we do know: there were some instances of the activation switch sticking 'ON' (down) on C-14s made in '08 and '09 and perhaps later. There was a change of the part number on the ignition switch assembly between Gen.1 and Gen.2 bikes (2009 ends Gen. 1, 2010 starts Gen. 2) but it is not known what was changed. The sticking switch problem seems to have occurred less on later years but has turned up on Gen. 2 bikes all the way to 2011 if I remember correctly. I <assume> Kawasaki is using the stiffer spring on the current ignition assemblies but again, no information is available that I have seen to indicate exactly what was changed or when.

When a C-14 does have the sticking switch problem, Kawasaki supplies the dealer with a stronger spring and pays for the labor to R&R the switch assembly and replace that spring. The spring does not have a part number nor is it available as a separate part to customers / owners of C-14s.

Sorry but that is the best information I have and it is not very conclusive.

Brian

So if I am reading this thread correctly, Kawa replaced a spring on later model bikes?  What year did they make the switch, and has there been any issues on bikes with the beefier spring?  Just curious.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2012, 04:44:32 AM »

Of course you know this will now happen to you.  I hope not, but making a statement like that can upset balance in the Force.  I made a statement earlier in this thread and bingo bango it happened to me shortly thereafter.

Offline Supatramp

« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2012, 09:58:12 AM »

Mine waited till I was over 1700 miles from home  >:(

Offline mkorn

« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »
this is my fear ... as i am taking it down to bike week ... long ways from home.  /crosses-fingers
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s