Author Topic: Road trip! Need advice on how to mount RAm X Grip on 2012 C14  (Read 15876 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

I have Murphs Bar Risers with the ARM mount on the left side for my Zumo 220 GPS.  My intention is to use my cell phone to run the Waze app so I can watch for speed traps on our trip to Colorado next week.  I have some problems to solve

1) Keep the cig lighter power source plugged in. My brother has the same bike and uses a .25" square piece of fuzzy side of Velcro inside the adapter.  Is that ok or is there a better solution?

2) How to hold the cell phone.   I have done some searching and saw folks had good luck with the Ram X mount. The cellphone is a Galaxy S5 in a plastic hard case.  Is this a good plan?  Thoughts?

3) Where to mount it?   I have to put a ram ball somewhere to hang the Ram X on, right side is probably better as it's near the lighter. I will need to be able to see the cell phone screen well to recognize 'road hazards' etc.  Here's where I am really wanting help. 

I need to place some orders TONIGHT.   This Waze app will really help with safety and being able to make good time.

THANKS!  I am so freakin' stoked about this trip.  With this app, a GPS, a radar detector and Sena's to relay info to my buddies tagging alone, it should be sweet.   
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline mikeb2411

Re: Road trip! Need advice on how to mount RAm X Grip on 2012 C14
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 11:40:47 AM »
I have Murphs Bar Risers with the ARM mount on the left side for my Zumo 220 GPS.  My intention is to use my cell phone to run the Waze app so I can watch for speed traps on our trip to Colorado next week.  I have some problems to solve

1) Keep the cig lighter power source plugged in. My brother has the same bike and uses a .25" square piece of fuzzy side of Velcro inside the adapter.  Is that ok or is there a better solution?

2) How to hold the cell phone.   I have done some searching and saw folks had good luck with the Ram X mount. The cellphone is a Galaxy S5 in a plastic hard case.  Is this a good plan?  Thoughts?

3) Where to mount it?   I have to put a ram ball somewhere to hang the Ram X on, right side is probably better as it's near the lighter. I will need to be able to see the cell phone screen well to recognize 'road hazards' etc.  Here's where I am really wanting help. 

I need to place some orders TONIGHT.   This Waze app will really help with safety and being able to make good time.

THANKS!  I am so freakin' stoked about this trip.  With this app, a GPS, a radar detector and Sena's to relay info to my buddies tagging alone, it should be sweet.

First, you're going to LOVE the road trip. I live in So Cal and my brother in Alabama. We recently met in New Mexico and started our 5000 mile road trip up through Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota and then home...best trip EVER!

Now, to answer your questions, I added a second power adapter opposite the one in the dash (I now have 2 cig power adapters). I had to drill out the "blank" on the left side of the dash to add it. I added it so I could charge my SMH10 comms and my phone at the same time...so glad I had the second port!

I use the Ram Mount for my phone (Galaxy S6) and the mount is located on my left bar riser so it positioned my phone in the center of my bars (you'll see it in the picture between my bars)...best location for the phone! Ram Mount works GREAT for the phone. I place it "horizontally" so the "fingers" of the mount are above and below the phone at all times.

I used to have the Ram Mount located on the left side above my grip. I've attached a picture where you'll see the small block on my bars. Ram Mount sells a block just like that with a ball on it for your Ram Mount setup. You can get the short arm and set that up for your phone or your Zumo.

The power cord I use that goes into the cig power port has the fuzzy Velcro strip on it otherwise it works it's way out. Fuzzy Velcro strip works great!

Have a great time on your trip and take a ton of pics. My brother and I had a blast and are already planning next year's trip! Let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to PM me and we can get into more detail if needed.

Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 12:19:30 PM »
I use this Ram Mount X-Grip: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN10BU with my Galaxy S5 which is inside of an Otter Box. The smaller X-Grip will work, but it's a tight fit (speeking from experiance as I was using one of them before I got the larger one).

I also use Motorcycle Larry's Stim Ball Mount: http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_59&products_id=260 with a 6" Ram Mount Arm. I want my phone (which I run WIZE on) front and center! LOL!!!
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 12:20:23 PM »
I have a question out to Murph to see if I can get another ball dealio to fit the other side, I have one on the left bar mount now.  I think if I invert it, I can do it.   The power should reach ok to the center of the bars.  I would need to adjust the gps an phone to be ok in relation to each, I am thinking I am ok, we'll see.

I am very excited about this trip.  I have been out west 2x on big trips (4500 and 6500 miles solo) and am taking friends who have never been there.   They have no idea what kind of beauty they are in for.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 12:23:49 PM »
I have a question out to Murph to see if I can get another ball dealio to fit the other side, I have one on the left bar mount now.  I think if I invert it, I can do it.   The power should reach ok to the center of the bars.  I would need to adjust the gps an phone to be ok in relation to each, I am thinking I am ok, we'll see.

I am very excited about this trip.  I have been out west 2x on big trips (4500 and 6500 miles solo) and am taking friends who have never been there.   They have no idea what kind of beauty they are in for.

Sounds great...have fun! My road trip was my first on a bike but definitely not my last!!!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
So with Murph's add on ball and this extender dealio

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-201U

And the X Mount mentioned above, I am hoping I am ok.  I will measure my phone and get the appropriate X thing.

Thanks!!

jirod

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »
Fuzzy Velcro works. If you are going to add another port. Add a USB charge port, or a 'marine locking lighter' port with a locking plug. Search Google or amazon using those terms.

Look in motorcyclelarry.com for a triple tree ram ball nut and see if that suits you. I have my gps mounted low and center using it. You will need the nut, the ball, and a 26 mm socket, none included but available from MLarry.

Have a great trip and report back what you used an how it worked out for you.

Ride safe

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 12:38:31 PM »
Fuzzy Velcro works. If you are going to add another port. Add a USB charge port, or a 'marine locking lighter' port with a locking plug. Search Google or amazon using those terms.

Look in motorcyclelarry.com for a triple tree ram ball nut and see if that suits you. I have my gps mounted low and center using it. You will need the nut, the ball, and a 26 mm socket, none included but available from MLarry.

Have a great trip and report back what you used an how it worked out for you.

Ride safe

I like the "Triple Tree Mount"...would have purchased that if I had known about it when I was buying my mount!

Good call! : :thumbs: :thumbs:
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 03:19:46 PM »
Ordered a Bar Riser mount and ball from Murph and the larger Grip X thing and an extender RAM double socket arm dealio to connect the Murph ball to the bottom of the Ram X.  I hope this whole thing works, I have nearly $100 wrapped up in it.

Thanks for the help! Now I hope I can  find my charger at home, I'd hate to have to pick up one at the Verizon store, they love to rape you. I buy them on Amazon when needed but time is tight.

First time we slow down for a cop this thing found, somebody in my group is buying me dinner.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 03:29:44 PM »
Ordered a Bar Riser mount and ball from Murph and the larger Grip X thing and an extender RAM double socket arm dealio to connect the Murph ball to the bottom of the Ram X.  I hope this whole thing works, I have nearly $100 wrapped up in it.

Thanks for the help! Now I hope I can  find my charger at home, I'd hate to have to pick up one at the Verizon store, they love to rape you. I buy them on Amazon when needed but time is tight.

First time we slow down for a cop this thing found, somebody in my group is buying me dinner.

LOL...sounds like you're getting a dinner at some point on the trip. I was pulled over once (no ticket) and flashed half a dozen times by coppers on my trip.

If you order from Amazon they'll have it to you in 2 days.
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline xsv

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 09:39:15 PM »
If you are interested in adding a USB port, I found this to be a clean simple solution.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17058.msg209177#msg209177
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline clogan

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 12:28:21 PM »
Ordered a Bar Riser mount and ball from Murph and ... Snip

Can get a charger, and most any other accessory, at most convenient stores, truck stops, Wally World, etc... they're widely available, and usually lots cheaper than Verizon store.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400