Author Topic: Tire pressure  (Read 15133 times)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
Tire pressure
« on: May 13, 2017, 03:54:30 PM »
I'm going to be running a new set of Angel GT's this time.  I was OK with the PR4's but I wanted more mileage, just like everyone else I would guess.  What I am considering is running at a lower pressure.  As low as 38 or so.

Thoughts?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Tire pressure
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 05:36:02 PM »
Usually best tire life on the C-14 is found right around the max. pressure, 42 PSI.

And usually, most people find Michelin PR's outlast Pirelli Angels. Perhaps this will not be true for you through- best of luck with the new sneakers.

Brian

I'm going to be running a new set of Angel GT's this time.  I was OK with the PR4's but I wanted more mileage, just like everyone else I would guess.  What I am considering is running at a lower pressure.  As low as 38 or so.

Thoughts?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jwh20

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 06:17:42 PM »
Get the "A" spec Angel GT's not the regular but I agree, 42 psi seems to be the best pressure.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 08:32:12 PM »
Usually best tire life on the C-14 is found right around the max. pressure, 42 PSI.

+2

42PSI  Concours is heavy.  Running tires on low pressure "permanently" will probably do little except to possibly wear the tires incorrectly, prematurely.  Of course, I have been running the last several trips about 3PSI too low, simply because I have been to lazy to inflate them...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tree

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 10:14:50 PM »
I appreciate the feedback.  Thank you.  I'll stay at the forum/factory recommendation of 42.  I will also try and record the ODO readings when I reach certain milestones like wear bars and the like.  I have read that Angels give superior wear V PR so I would like to see for myself.  I don't remember if the new skins have the "A" attribute or not.

Oh yea.  I'm the guy that also gutted some TPS modules recently to replace the batteries.  I didn't get a favorable response out of them (spoken ---).  I'm hoping that they "wake up" after I get my bike back on the road for a longer ride.  The fork seal replacement is complete and I'm anxiously waiting for my ECU (ECO flash) to arrive from Steve.  Who's gonna have some fun?  This guy!!!

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »

Thoughts?

Any PSI below 38 makes the C-14 turn like a 1955 Mack dump truck. I actually prefer 42 PSI front and 44 PSI rear with the 55 profile- turn in is like on rails.

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 12:59:00 PM »
The "Non Pokey" pressure of 45 PSI is maintained in both the front and rear tires.
All without any issues.
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 02:58:34 PM »
The "Non Pokey" pressure of 45 PSI is maintained in both the front and rear tires.
All without any issues.

I would always recommend 42.  But if the choice were to be off, it is probably better to be a little too high than too low.  Not only is it less likely to damage the tires, the tires will lose air over time and be closer to the correct 42, eventually.

Remember, 42 is the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Answer_to_the_Ultimate_Question_of_Life.2C_the_Universe.2C_and_Everything_.2842.29
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 08:27:04 PM »
I like to use the 10% rule where as if the tire stays cold  and does not increase by 10% I will lower the pressure.  If I check the  cold pressure before riding and the pressure  rises more than 10% I add more air. I ended up running 36 front and 38 rear  cold for  normal riding with no luggage. Fully loaded I have to add a couple of lbs to the rear tire cold to keep the  pressure  from rising too much. So when I am riding and the tires have warmed up  I try to  stay at  40 front and 42 rear. 
On the track it has to be 24lbs front  and 28 rear  to get to the gooey  grip-well stage and that big contact patch.
 If I am going to flog the bike like we did  at  last years Nationals I ran 32 front 34 rear.    I was able to get  3  good days of fun riding in   before my new  tires were   totally bald and worn out. Those were super soft tires that I got on sale for cheap so I did not care.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 09:03:48 PM »
I have not heard of the 10% rule, but I do know that the factory recommendation of 42psi is for cold tires (and typical load).  So filling less than 42 cold would mean they will be under-inflated (per the recommendation).  It is pretty common to under-inflate when trying to increase friction for stickiness... but too far and the handling can suffer greatly as the tire distorts under side load (and the friction in the sidewall can wipe out the tire life pretty quickly; of course that is expected on the track). 

I expect the pressure to go up a couple of psi when warm (which it typically does).  I can't recall if Kawasaki's system tries to compensate for temperature.  I hope it doesn't because that would make no sense to me at all- when I look at a reading, I would want to know what the pressure is, not what it thinks it should display to me so it appears like it is always "correct."

Speaking of tires, I have my appointment tomorrow to mount my new set, finally!

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 11:41:20 PM »
The TPM is just a dumb pressure gauge.   It does no compensating. 

Simple thermodynamics:  As the temp. rises, the pressure rises in proportion. 
Pressure ALWAYS goes up when tires get warmer.  Basic physics. 

If a 10% pressure increase is the goal, a greater increase means the tires are overheating.
Overheating is caused by too much flexing (as Max points out).   
Trial and error finds the initial pressure that gives a 10% rise at race temp.   

In a very direct way, the pressure gauge is a thermometer.  Pressure is just a strawman for temperature here. 

dat
sax
man
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline jonathan

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 08:23:20 AM »
The tpms does conntain a temperature chip and displays the compensated pressure for 20 deg C

Offline dirtwiz

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 05:59:17 PM »
I have 4 tire pressure gauges and they all read differently and + or - 3PSI. My electronic gauge is at the high end of the manual gauges. I just use the electronic and run it at 44 so when it loses air I feel good about it.
If loud pipes save lives....I'll be dead by morning.

Offline Nocage

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 08:22:14 PM »

Thoughts?

How many miles did you get out of your PR4's? I just bought a Concours, but I used the PR4 GT's on my previous bike and loved it. Have you tried the PR4 GT?

sailor_chic

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 07:02:17 AM »
How many miles did you get out of your PR4's? I just bought a Concours, but I used the PR4 GT's on my previous bike and loved it. Have you tried the PR4 GT?

Im consistently getting over 10k miles on my PR4GT's

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 07:24:04 AM »
I got 18K on my last set

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 09:52:20 AM »
I got 18K on my last set

Are the roads where you live made out of marshmellows? lol! ;D. Seriously though, that is impressive. I have 8000 miles on my Angel GT A Specs, I figure they have about a thousand left on them. I have never got that much from any tire and was over the moon about getting 9000 miles.
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline Tree

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 10:01:18 AM »

To be honest I don't have mileage numbers for the PR4's I just replaced but it's for sure that I didn't get anywhere near 10K miles out of them.  I based my decision on the Angel GT from what I have read in the forums and said "What the heck, give them a try".  I put 26,000 miles on my bike every year just with the work commute.  I enjoy wrenching on my bike too but I would prefer to minimize the number of times I have to yank the wheels off.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 11:35:25 AM »
Are the roads where you live made out of marshmellows? lol! ;D.

I don't think so... but it was surprising to me, too.  Lots of factors affect tire wear, I guess I am lucky with at least ONE thing in life.

Seriously though, that is impressive. I have 8000 miles on my Angel GT A Specs, I figure they have about a thousand left on them. I have never got that much from any tire and was over the moon about getting 9000 miles.

Well, now you have a new goal :)

Offline Nocage

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 11:26:14 PM »
I got 18K on my last set

That's very impressive. Would love to see what you get out of the PR4 GTs :)