Author Topic: KTRC Error  (Read 10005 times)

Offline wb57

KTRC Error
« on: November 30, 2017, 12:29:54 PM »
Yesterday on the morning commute, I got a KTRC Error on the dash.  Suspected that it might have something to do with the left side leaking fork seal somehow getting fork oil on the sensor.  Spent the day looking around on the forums and found everything from a broken cable coming from the sensor to dirty connectors on the ECU (mine's never been pulled).
Checked before leaving work and felt no fork oil on the sensor (the piece attached to the wheel, not the wired component).  Cable looked fine.  Didn't reseat the ECU connections figuring I'd get to it this weekend, if need be.
Of course, the error has NOT reappeared since.

Any idea what may have caused it?  What triggers this error?
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09
Turning paychecks into spent fossil fuels.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: KTRC Error
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 01:57:36 PM »
It wasn't the infamous "F1" error that flashes up for about 10 seconds and goes away was it?

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=336.0
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9892.msg120432#msg120432

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »
Probably F1
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 04:00:04 PM »
I believe a KTRC error is when the traction system senses a differential between the front and rear wheels. Because the sensors are the ABS wheel disc sensing system, you may well be right about oil causing a problem but I sort of doubt it because it is an induction system and should be impervious to oil; exactly how the cam and crank position sensors work perfectly in an oil- bathed environment. Any chance it happened during acceleration? If so, maybe the rear wheel broke traction slightly and turned a but more than the front wheel; it does not take much of a difference to trip the ABS or traction control systems.

Brian

Yesterday on the morning commute, I got a KTRC Error on the dash.  Suspected that it might have something to do with the left side leaking fork seal somehow getting fork oil on the sensor.  Spent the day looking around on the forums and found everything from a broken cable coming from the sensor to dirty connectors on the ECU (mine's never been pulled).
Checked before leaving work and felt no fork oil on the sensor (the piece attached to the wheel, not the wired component).  Cable looked fine.  Didn't reseat the ECU connections figuring I'd get to it this weekend, if need be.
Of course, the error has NOT reappeared since.

Any idea what may have caused it?  What triggers this error?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 05:37:02 PM »
I believe a KTRC error is when the traction system senses a differential between the front and rear wheels. Because the sensors are the ABS wheel disc sensing system, you may well be right about oil causing a problem but I sort of doubt it because it is an induction system and should be impervious to oil; exactly how the cam and crank position sensors work perfectly in an oil- bathed environment. Any chance it happened during acceleration? If so, maybe the rear wheel broke traction slightly and turned a but more than the front wheel; it does not take much of a difference to trip the ABS or traction control systems.

That is a good troubleshooting question.  I have had numerous isolated F1 errors, and they were always while just riding- no acceleration, no braking, no engine stutter, nothing.  I can't recall what it says on the screen other than "F1" because it is always while moving and disappears very quickly.  Curious- is there something on the screen that actually says "KTRC" or something else before the F1 appears?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline wb57

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 06:54:30 PM »
I didn't notice an FI error.  This was "KTRC Error" displayed on the screen and it didn't go away until I turned off the bike.  Unlikely I broke traction.  It's a 5 mile route where I rarely hit 45mph in fairly heavy traffic.  Two lane start to finish.  Was able to clear the dash with the two finger exercise, but the red light remained.

Not mine, but exactly like this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV2N6hrN5x0

2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 08:15:27 PM »
Yep, that is KTRC alright.  Pretty rare to see that.  Very likely a sensor got fouled/damaged/disconnected, although there are other possibilities.

See

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=21099
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3366

Ironically, I have had that error, not in operation, but when I had the bike running on a stand, in gear.  :)   (I was warming up the shaft drive oil before replacing it).  Obviously it was quite upset that the rear wheel was moving but the front was not.

Offline wb57

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 03:39:31 AM »
Yeah, I've seen those threads.  Wish I'd known I could pull a code while it was still present.  Other than checking and cleaning connections, not sure there's anything else I can do at this point unless the error returns.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline wb57

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 06:55:16 AM »
It happened again this morning.  Same commute.  No traction problems.  I did follow up to get the error code this time and it's Error 27.  I don't see a list of error codes in the shop manual.  Is this published somewhere?

Edit: I did find a list of error codes, but Error 27 isn't listed.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 09:58:08 AM »
Error 27 is discussed in topic 21099 that Max provided the link for.  On the first page.

Error 27
Front and/or Rear Wheel Rotation Sensor Signal (K-ACT ABS Equipped Models)        Front and/or rear wheel rotation sensor must sends 48 signals (front) and 45
signals (rear) to the ECU at the 1 rotation of the wheels. If the front and/or rear wheel rotation sensor system fails (the signal is missing, wiring open), the ECU stops the KTRC control.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wb57

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 12:52:15 PM »
I'd read that thread previously, but rereading it now seems to make more sense.  Going to try several things before looking at replacing parts.  Error cleared itself during lunch ride.   :o
Will start with cleaning rotational sensors and checking clearances on the hall effect sensors.  Will clean and reseat ECU connections as well.  If it reappears, I'll run the tests on the sensors specified in the manual.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 03:22:33 PM »
Start ALL electrical diagnostics on this bike by checking / redoing  ground and battery connections. Steve

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 03:39:59 PM »
Occasionally a sensor has been far enough away from the activation disc (the one with the holes in it) that it cannot sense the metal in- between the holes. That may be your problem.

Also, check both wheel sensor connectors to make sure they are clean and do not have any corrosion in them; Japanese sealed connectors are excellent but if one is missing a seal, for example, water may have entered the connector and caused some corrosion. And of course make sure the connectors are fully engaged by hearing them 'click' and lock into position.

It is possible you have a faulty sensor but that is going to be somewhat difficult to diagnose if it is intermittent, which your problem certainly is.

I would start with the sensor / wheel spacing and alignment, and then check the connectors on each sensor.

Brian

I'd read that thread previously, but rereading it now seems to make more sense.  Going to try several things before looking at replacing parts.  Error cleared itself during lunch ride.   :o
Will start with cleaning rotational sensors and checking clearances on the hall effect sensors.  Will clean and reseat ECU connections as well.  If it reappears, I'll run the tests on the sensors specified in the manual.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline wb57

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 05:04:46 AM »
Start ALL electrical diagnostics on this bike by checking / redoing  ground and battery connections. Steve

Easy enough.  Will do.  Replaced the battery about 18 months ago and haven't had any electrical issues, but will check this first.
Thanks.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline wb57

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 05:07:36 AM »
Occasionally a sensor has been far enough away from the activation disc (the one with the holes in it) that it cannot sense the metal in- between the holes. That may be your problem.

Also, check both wheel sensor connectors to make sure they are clean and do not have any corrosion in them; Japanese sealed connectors are excellent but if one is missing a seal, for example, water may have entered the connector and caused some corrosion. And of course make sure the connectors are fully engaged by hearing them 'click' and lock into position.

It is possible you have a faulty sensor but that is going to be somewhat difficult to diagnose if it is intermittent, which your problem certainly is.

I would start with the sensor / wheel spacing and alignment, and then check the connectors on each sensor.

Brian

I'll check them.  I feel like I've had them out during tire changes, but not 100% sure.  I don't recall hearing/feeling them click into place, but I would have torqued them according to spec.  I had planned on pulling them to see if there was any crap on them.

Thanks.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline wb57

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 02:25:29 PM »
Visual inspection: There was a good amount of patina/corrosion on the front slotted sensor.  Wire wheeled that off.  Electrical component looked fine.  Rear wheel wasn't as bad corrosion-wise, but lots of road gunk on the sensor.  Cleaned it up.  Both were within spec as far as clearance.  Road test coming up.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline wb57

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »
Swing and a miss.  Will check electrical connections this weekend.  It did go longer than what seems to be "normal" though. 
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 04:06:05 PM »
Do you have a factory manual?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wb57

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 08:48:12 PM »
Do you have a factory manual?

Yes, but it doesn't reference my exact error code.  Going to run through all the basics.  Didn't get the error at all today.  I hate intermittent problems.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 06:32:59 AM »
It has to be something to do with either the wiring to or the sensor itself or even the connectors.   I was wondering if the manual had any checks on that.