Author Topic: Advice re auto shelters.......  (Read 1484 times)

Offline pmcn500

• +A GGH IIG HGHA
Advice re auto shelters.......
« on: December 14, 2017, 04:21:05 PM »
Hey there folks.... Ok.... I bought one of these earlier this year for storing Kayaks, Bicycles, BBQ's etc etc in and over the summer it has been fine..... however, over the last couple of months, i've noticed that the inside of the roof and walls are soaking wet..... so much so, that they are almost constantly dripping on everything on the shelter....?

This very similar to the shelter I have....

Does anyone have any advice or solutions to this....as I'm worried that everything is going to be ruined if i cant find a way to stop this....  :-\

Many Thanks...
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1996 Honda Hornet 250

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Advice re auto shelters.......
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 04:55:12 PM »
Such is the nature of any canvas.  No matter what they claim.  I have replaced mine twice.  They are damaged by UV and also lose their ability to be waterproof.  The only thing that can help slow it down is something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Atsko-Silicone-Water-Guard-10-5-oz/dp/B0001FYL2M
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 05:05:04 PM »
Needs pass through ventilation and a vapor barrier on the ground.

Offline pmcn500

• +A GGH IIG HGHA
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 05:23:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far....  I wondered about ventilation.... my shelter is a plastic sort of tarp material... and was quite shocked at the amount of water there was.... I hit it with a broom.... and... let's just say.....lol.... I walked away like I'd just stepped out of the shower fully clothed.... lol

I wondered if I were to put a large 12v fan in there if it would be enough as I have some 12v solar panels.... that i was thinking of hooking up.... but not sure if theyd be enough..... or even effective....

I've covered everything in another tarp inside...... but it kinda defeats the purpose of the shelter....
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1996 Honda Hornet 250

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 06:00:57 PM »
It's no different than a sleeping tent without a ground sheet...you will wake up being dripped on.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 08:05:21 PM »
Yeah, there is that whole "dew point" thing.   When you hit it, and it is humid outside, anything colder than the air will be pretty wet, quickly.  Ventilation does help (it helps to equalize the temp and also helps with evaporation).  Of course, ideally, it would be air-tight, which would stop the humidity, but that isn't realistic... or temperature controlled, but that is expensive.  Some people try to opt for air-tight (as much as possible) and then use large buckets of desiccant (like silica gel) to try and capture what moisture does get in.  But, again, kinda expensive and a hassle (since you have to "recharge" the desiccant regularly).

https://www.amazon.com/Silica-Desiccant-Beads-Blue-Indicating/dp/B01M0LL9WS
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc