Author Topic: Valve adjustment sanity check my shim map  (Read 1078 times)

Offline jaymohn

Valve adjustment sanity check my shim map
« on: March 20, 2018, 10:49:05 AM »
Hello everyone. Just checked my valves for the first time on a 2009 with 27,000 miles and here is my shim map.  Would like to ask the forum if it appears that I've potentially measured anything incorrect/inaccurate before I go shim shopping.  I would greatly appreciate any feedback.  Thanks. 

Offline kzz1king

Re: Valve adjustment sanity check my shim map
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 02:21:20 PM »
I am not saying because I had my cams out twice before I was done! Best wishes.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline jaymohn

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 02:47:18 PM »
Thanks for the reply Wayne.  Any lessons learned that you could share?  Would hate to not get it in spec the first time.   

Offline jaymohn

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 03:50:47 PM »
Looks like my dealer only had hot cam shims that don't get me exactly where I would like to be.  Some of the shims put me either at .0071" at the intake or .0050" and as high as .0099" at one exhaust.  So a several will be right at or just out of spec on the high end. Is this a problem or should I just order the exact shims and wait to ride?  Time to put the dirt bike and can't wait to get the Connie on the road.
Thanks.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 07:03:52 PM »
I bought my shims from Jakewilson. Good price and they were fairly quick. I installed my shims and partially torqued the cams. All seemed well until I torqued down completely. It was worth the wait and the extra time to order a few new shims and re do it. REMOVING AND REPLACING THE CAMS WAS THE EASIEST PART OF THE WHOLE JOB.  Sorry for the caps. I hope you change plugs while you are there. I pulled the radiator and cleaned it up as well as new coolant. Get as much stuff done with the plastic removed as you can!

Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1