Author Topic: engine temp?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline Ghost Rider 2

engine temp?
« on: March 21, 2018, 06:36:03 AM »
   My bike 2009 1400.   I think my engine runs to cool.  I can never seem to get the gauge up over 1 bar.  If I in town stop lights and slow riding it comes up to the center and runs there.  Out on the highway it drops and runs at 1 bar above cold.  I rode couple days ago.  Temps in the low 50's and I ran 2 strips of duct tape across lower section of radiator.  I heats up quicker in town but dropped back down to the single bar out on road.  Thought about adding a couple more but I don't want to get into a cooling problem.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: engine temp?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 07:00:56 AM »
That's unusual, Jerry. Mine always runs middle to upper range except in real cold temps. Most I've heard of are similar.

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 07:07:18 AM »
  my other 1400's always ran right in the middle.  I kind of wondering if thermostat not sealing water flow just right.  I don't see any problem it just runs cool. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 07:15:05 AM »
It'll be 90 degrees and 90% up there soon and you'll be glad it's running cool.  ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 07:15:13 AM »
Probably the thermostat..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 09:02:16 AM »
That is what it sounds like, the thermostat is either stuck open or at the least not closing all the way. My C-14 runs three bars on the temp. gauge as though the gauge was broken.... it just stays there all the time, down into the teens in temperature. The bike really does have an excellent cooling system that is rock- solid, which makes me think you do have a thermostat problem.

Best of luck if you swap it though it does not look like a horrible job (though I never did change one).

Brian

my other 1400's always ran right in the middle.  I kind of wondering if thermostat not sealing water flow just right.  I don't see any problem it just runs cool.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline katata1100

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 12:25:14 PM »
My bike has seen a lot of time where it was only a couple bars from the top. I was curious (apprehensive?) to see how it would fare in stop and go traffic in Phoenix when it was 114, the fan stayed on, and the bars stayed where they were, pretty close to the limit, but never exceeded!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 01:21:22 PM »
I've been is some very hot weather and it's never pegged the gauge.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 04:13:22 PM »
Mine has also never pegged the meter, even in stopped traffic near 100F.  Of course, *I* am pegged and melting, but that is a different issue.

No matter how cold outside, mine seems to run at least 2 bars (once warmed up), but usually right in the middle.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 04:09:15 AM »
   My bike 2009 1400.   I think my engine runs to cool.  I can never seem to get the gauge up over 1 bar.  If I in town stop lights and slow riding it comes up to the center and runs there.  Out on the highway it drops and runs at 1 bar above cold.  I rode couple days ago.  Temps in the low 50's and I ran 2 strips of duct tape across lower section of radiator.  I heats up quicker in town but dropped back down to the single bar out on road.  Thought about adding a couple more but I don't want to get into a cooling problem.

Mine did the same thing back when I bought it new. Had the shop look at it under warranty. Thermostat was defective.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 05:04:55 AM »
  I will get the Connie on list for repair.  The wing is parked in work spot now, waiting for fork seal. Supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 06:33:23 AM »
I want this problem...LOL

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 07:22:03 AM »
Here's something I posted elsewhere last year, hope it helps .

Yesterday I received an email from someone in Arizona asking about lowering the fan switch temp to help his bike run at lower temps. I think he was surprised by the answer, and I wanted to share it with everyone.

I am a professional mechanic in Florida. I specialized for decades in rebuilding automotive engines, and almost all of the engines I rebuilt were originally victims of overheating. As such, I studied up on how cooling systems work. I found along the way that most folks (read :nobody except engineers) really don't understand how the cooling systems work. I learned a very effective modification a couple decades ago, that I currently use in every vehicle I have, and I never have heat issues. Ever.

Let me also say that what I'm going to share is not new to this forum. I shared this back in '05 with the c-10 guys, and if you ask the c-10 guys who have been around, this has been nicknamed "Steve's coolant cocktail". So this isn't new, just maybe new to you  ;).

First, let's get a few things out of the way with some education.

1) All a cooling system is doing is transferring BTU's from the engine to the ambient air. The more efficient that transfer is, the better the system will shed heat.

2) Coolant is very poor at heat transfer. Water is the most effective.

3) Every cooling system has a finite ability to shed heat, and that ability depends on the ambient air temps. So a cooling system in 70* ambient air may be able cool the coolant down to the thermostat cycling temp, but at 100* ambient it probably won't be able to do so unless it has a lot of surface area and flow volume in the radiator.

4) lowering a thermostat temp isn't going to help the cooling system shed heat, or lower the operating temps unless the radiator has the ability to cool down to that temp. In many cases raising the thermostat temp is the thing to do as it provides the most linear and consistent operating temps for the engine.

5) lowering coolant temps by thermostat opening temp will result in a less efficient engine. Heat in an engine expands the metal producing better cylinder sealing, helps the oil circulate with less pumping loss, and aids combustion. All within controlled parameters, of course.

6) Radiators shed heat by airflow through them, as they transfer the heat from the cooling medium to the air. Changing electric fan cycle temps is largely an exercise in futility, as at about 25 mph the forward movement of the bike meets the airflow ability of the fans. Any higher speed than that produces more airflow than the fans provide, so lowering fan "on" temps has no effect on the coolant temps.

7) lowering fan cycle temp settings really only effects the cooling system when in traffic, with low available airflow. Typically fans will come on around 210* and off around 190. the temp will never go below the thermostat setting. Lowering the "on" temp will only result in the heat blowing on the rider for a longer duration as the fan comes on sooner and stays on til the preset off temp is reached. Remember that once on, the fan will stay on till the setting temps drops to the pre-set off temp, which HAS to higher than the thermostat temp, or the fan will run all the time once the thermostat opens. If the original ON temp was 210*, and the new temp is 195* the max temp difference the rider would feel is 15* BUT with the lower setting the fan will cycle more and blow that 195* heated air onto you for a longer time. Pick your poison, there's no free rides... as long as the engine is running it's releasing and  shedding the same BTU's.

I'm going to stop here and pick up on the next post.

Steve

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 07:23:29 AM »

To continue:

So with those facts established, what can be done to make a cooling system more efficient in it's ability to shed heat? We need to maximize the coolant medium's ability to gain and lose BTU's (heat).

As stated previously typical automotive coolants are poor at heat transfer. Slow to gain and slow to lose heat. Water is the best medium, but it has the limitation of a lower boiling point and potential for nucleate boiling, which is localized hot spots generally around the combustion chamber which can over time erode metal, particularly aluminum. I have personally seen aluminum cylinder heads with pinholes from the cooling passages to the exhaust ports from said hot spot erosion. Water can also freeze, and that's not good, either.

So what to do?

Here is the BEST cooling medium I have ever used... low cost and highly effective.

Use appx 15% non silicate coolant of your choice--- about 16 to 20 oz.

4-6 oz of a product named "water wetter"

The balance of fill will be DISTILLED water.

So here's why it works as well as it does... the water is really the heat transfer product, which is why we want such a high concentration of it. We need distilled water so as to not introduce minerals that can attack the metals of the cooling system. The coolant is to prevent freezing down to maybe 20*, raise the boiling point and also it will prevent metal damage. The water wetter is a surfactant that allows the water to flow into the small crevices of the cooling passages (water jacket) and prevents the water from localized nucleate boiling. It also will help keep the system clean and prevent metal erosion.

Some might look at the "boiling point" being lowered and think that's a problem. Not so, because this cocktail does such a good job shedding heat the boiling point is a non issue.

If you are in a climate that has cold winters, you may want to bump up the coolant volume to maybe 30%, but understand you're reducing the ability to shed heat, too. Of course if you're going to live in North Dakota but do an August ride through Death Valley, you may want to change the coolant medium at some point to match the prevailing conditions. Again, no free ride, you're up against the  ability of the radiator to exchange heat and the coolant to provide it's antifreeze properties.

If you set up your cooling system with this "coolant cocktail" you'll find the cooling system to be much more efficient at shedding heat in ALL circumstances. You will find the running temps in very hot ambient conditions will come down to the mechanical ability of the radiator to shed heat. You'll also find the fan cycling times to be minimized because of the efficient heat transfer.

I realize there are newer products out there. Engine Ice, etc, and honestly since I hit on the above cocktail I haven't messed with anything else. Those products may work well, but water is cheap and the cocktail works great.

I hope some of the c-10 guys who have been around for a long time and used this will chime in. This isn't rocket science, but it works. I included the "educational portion" because I find educated guys make better decisions and don't fall for "fixes" that look good on the surface but fall short in reality.

Steve

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 03:03:38 PM »
Yep, that is the exact advice I give- use as little "coolant" as necessary to prevent freezing and scale and the rest should be distilled water.  Simple and effective.  Most "recipes" for coolant use way, way, way too much "coolant" and not enough distilled water.  Usually because that is what came from the factory- and they have to ensure the coolant won't freeze way down to some insanely low temp which few people ever encounter.  The other reason?  Coolant companies want to sell more coolant!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 03:48:21 PM »
I don't understand why people over-complicate this with custom concoctions.  I just buy a jug of Honda Type II coolant.  It's affordable, pre-mixed, and readily-available.  Works great.  I've ridden my C14 through triple-digit heat on the West coast (lived in Oregon for 13 years) as well as the heat/humidity of the South (now live in North Carolina).  Never have I had a problem.

Why make things complicated?  Just ride!
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 03:49:23 PM »
just a thought...maybe it's the gauge that's not working properly
I've Never Had A Better Day