Author Topic: good waterproof rain pants  (Read 1731 times)

Offline mellow yellow

good waterproof rain pants
« on: August 18, 2018, 07:27:10 AM »
Hello all, If anyone has good experience with rain pants that stay dry around the crotch area please let me know. yesterday after getting home from a torrential downpour, my crotch was all wet. it is a nelson rigg brand which I purchased about a year ago. I've worn frog toggs, tourmasters and generic stuff. eventually they all fail in the crotch area. so other than wearing adult diapers, any other brands that I should try? thanks

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Re: good waterproof rain pants
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 08:18:34 AM »
Depends.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 08:21:37 AM »
I'll admit that I haven't ever ridden in an all day rain. Perhaps 4-4.5 hours of on again off again sprinkles mixed with short doses of heavy rain but constantly wet road, but my rain liner in my Olympia pants hasn't let me down yet. Olympia (IMO) is only middle of the road type gear, not the best and not the cheapest so I doubt it's greatness is why my crotch has stayed dry. I do however almost always ride with a large tank bag and I'm starting to wonder if that is why I haven't experienced the wet crotch misery (or thrill depending on your bent  :o ) that I hear so many mention.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Depends.

Groan..... ;D

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 08:32:36 AM »
Sorry, man.  It was too easy a shot to take! 

In the department, we had some high quality Gore-Tex rain gear that always did the trick.  They were thick and unforgiving, but they worked.  I’ve generally found that the more you spend, the better the gear.  If money isn’t an option, I found these at Revzilla.  Shop around and look for a better price.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-gore-tex-over-shell-pants

2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 09:16:19 AM »
Sorry, man.  It was too easy a shot to take! 

In the department, we had some high quality Gore-Tex rain gear that always did the trick.  They were thick and unforgiving, but they worked.  I’ve generally found that the more you spend, the better the gear.  If money isn’t an option, I found these at Revzilla.  Shop around and look for a better price.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-gore-tex-over-shell-pants
No problem, I can use a good laugh. thanks for the vid. for the price, I think I'll have to invest in some Depends. the pants look like they're more body hugging. I need over pants that I can slip over street clothes. thanks

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 11:47:52 AM »
You want something that is Gore Tex.  Nothing else really works, it will either tear or rip or wear out or leak at the seams, or all of the above; if not now, then eventually.  Gore Tex also breathes, which is important so you don't start sweating and end up wet, anyway.  It is usually pricey, but sometimes you get what you pay for...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »
will check out the Gore-Tex stuff, Thanks

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 03:18:49 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 04:44:55 PM »
Hello all, If anyone has good experience with rain pants that stay dry around the crotch area please let me know. yesterday after getting home from a torrential downpour, my crotch was all wet. it is a nelson rigg brand which I purchased about a year ago. I've worn frog toggs, tourmasters and generic stuff. eventually they all fail in the crotch area. so other than wearing adult diapers, any other brands that I should try? thanks

the issue we find most, is leaking/water wicking in along zippers, If there are zippers the leak is bound to occur eventually....
Putting on any 'overpants' that don't have zippers, is almost impossible with boots, and other pants in place... making them a painfully difficult manouver, especially if you 'got caught' and already are a bit 'wet'...

I've had extremely good results from the "seam grip seam sealer" stuff that Aerostich sells... I always by 'extra's, as when ya need it, and ain't got it... well... it's cheap, so buy 2, use one and store one, along with external fabric waterproofer.
http://www.aerostich.com/suits/repellents-and-sealants/seam-grip-seam-seal-kit.html

also this, for emergency repairs... like rips.
http://www.aerostich.com/suits/repellents-and-sealants/aquaseal.html

for the 'seam grip stuff':
You have to completely coat the fabric, and threads along the zippers,and the 'seam' itself.. the fabric on the zipper itself also, inside and outer, it stops 80% of any water soaking thru. Yoy don't want this on the actual teeth tho, so be careful and only brush it on the fabric.. Then, coating the zippers teeth themselves, when zipped up, using a white 'plumbers candle' (let it sit in the sun for 10 minutes to soften), and crayon it full length, inner and outer on the plastic teeth, that provides the finishing touch (if you don't have a 'flap' that cover the zipper inside, you might forgo that step, so the wax stays off clothing). That also makes the zippers slide much easier...

do all the seam stuff after treating to restore the original external 'proof', using:
http://www.aerostich.com/suits/repellents-and-sealants/nikwax-tx-direct-wash-in-repellent.html
 they even make a nice kit..
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-waterwerks-kit-nikwax.html

or
http://www.aerostich.com/suits/repellents-and-sealants/revivexr-water-and-stain-repellent.html

I double up when I do the treatment, I use the wash in, and before tossing the garment in the dryer, I use this
http://www.aerostich.com/suits/repellents-and-sealants/tx-direct-spray-on-repellent.html
It's worth it, believe me... especially on the "high flex" areas, and high "wear" spots, like jacket sleeve fronts, shins, seat, crotch, and front of the jacket.. where the most "water blasting" occurs..

If you want "goretex" gear, it's gonna be $100+, no matter what you buy...
kinda like this...
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-ultralight-rain-pants-6.html
these actually have had the problem areas corrected, and come with pre treated zippers... Aerostich listened to our complaints for the last 20+ years, and made the corrections needed.... but, you pay for that....

"Sympatec" and a few other "types" of membrane fabrics are out there on the market, and they do work well, but the 'seam' seal integrety is not as proven as the "gore" brand seal tape that is applied... and sooner or later they all develop leaks.
Outer leg zippers in leiu of inner leg zippers seem to prevent the wet crotch better, but if the seams ain't sealed, water still wicks in thru the thread stitching during assembly..

The cheapest overpants I could find are these, membrane type breathable, no crotch zipper to fail,  winner...
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-men039s-25-solid-rain-pants?a=2097607
they look pretty effective, and for the price, buy a couple of them, and save a pair (for a rainy day)..

also these:
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/columbia-mens-pfg-storm-waterproof-bib-pants?a=2154389

they should work well, but you should not 'fold them up' for storage, roll them without creasing the fabric.

hope those help...
I've "cured" the wet crotch syndrom on my Stich using these methods, and along with using a "wash in/dryer activated" surface treatment, to repair the original 'external water resistance' of the fabrics, I swear by them.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 07:37:22 PM »
Putting on any 'overpants' that don't have zippers, is almost impossible with boots, and other pants in place...

Mine are Gore Tex and zipperless, except the last several inches of legs.  They are, indeed, impossible to put on without removing boots.  But easy to get over any pants without boots on.  I try to make sure they are on FIRST if there is a high chance of rain.  I have been known to immediately reverse course if I actually hit rain, unprepared, pull over, then put them on.

making them a painfully difficult manouver, especially if you 'got caught' and already are a bit 'wet'...

Yeah, when you are already wet, EVERYTHING is a lot harder.  Especially non-waterproof gloves.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 09:36:00 PM »
My Tourmaster Venture pants have been great for the money. They're armored up. They have a cold weather liner if needed. They're waterproof. There's definitely better pants out there, but not for the price. Be advise, these aren't over pants. They're dedicated touring gear.

https://www.revzilla.com/product/tour-master-venture-pants?gclid=CjwKCAjwh9_bBRA_EiwApObaOJ_NgC-NQwmX3rhKCBHS9I6FAmdF_B1UVEgS14zmqhxmofelYHEIpRoC38gQAvD_BwE

2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 04:50:12 PM »
the pants that I had didn't have any zippers. but somehow water was still able to permeate through. unless maybe the seams had failed.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 08:16:15 PM »
the pants that I had didn't have any zippers. but somehow water was still able to permeate through. unless maybe the seams had failed.

It could be the seams, or microtears, or it could be non-waterproof fabric that was just "treated" to be water-resistant and now that has worn away (highly likely).  Since your butt is a chaffing/stress area, it is likely to give out first.  You MIGHT be able to re-treat it with waterproofing spray...

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 10:11:01 PM »
It could be the seams, or microtears, or it could be non-waterproof fabric that was just "treated" to be water-resistant and now that has worn away (highly likely).  Since your butt is a chaffing/stress area, it is likely to give out first.  You MIGHT be able to re-treat it with waterproofing spray...
Use NikWax on Gortex.  That stuff really works.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle