Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 678977 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2900 on: December 16, 2017, 06:17:55 AM »
Over the millennia, we have found oh so many ways to kill people, some pretty slick, some not so much. But the goals have been 1) Kill the victim (no wounding) and often 2) do it quickly and efficiently. Sometimes there is a third goal in there though: inflict as much pain and anguish along the way as possible.

Two methods are often misunderstood I think, crucifixion and hanging.

Crucifixion was a favored method of both execution as well as making public 'statements' to the public about required behavior w/in the Empire. But the actual method of death in not very well known; most people seem to think that the victim dies of either exposure (not likely in a warm, [not dry] Mediterranean area or blood loss from the wounds made as attachment points, also not the cause. The actual cause of death, while gruesome, is also interesting: the victim suffocates. It would seem that there is nothing impeding the breathing of the victim, that is exactly what happens: the diagram is not a very strong muscle but more than sufficient to expand and contract the torso of a mammal. But when a human is anchored to a flat member along his / her entire back, normal chest or abdomen expansion cannot happen without the front part of the body causing the lower body to be lifted on each inhale. So instead of merely expanding and contracting the abdomen, the diagram now has to lift a fairly heavy portion of the body on each breath and after some time, can no longer do so. So the oxygen levels in the victim drop, the victim loses consciousness but the breathing continues (it is an involuntary muscle movement) until the diaphragm simply cannot lift the lower body enough or at all and the victim suffocates.

Hanging becomes a little confusing because depending on circumstances, and the hangman's skill (or lack of skill) it can go one of two ways: breaking the victim' neck, well up on the spinal cord resulting in instantaneous unconsciousness and death following shortly (moments), or strangulation, which can and does easily last 5 minutes or more, all the while having the victim active and rather resisting the entire process from the end of the rope.

The correct way to hang someone is to snug the rope around the neck, put the noose connection to the side of the victim's head (never in the back), and drop the victim far enough to snap the spinal column WITHOUT ripping the head from the torso, which is considered VERY bad form! To achieve this, the victim is weighed, his / her physical condition evaluated, and the drop length and victim weight carefully calculated. The victim is also 'weighted' as needed to increase the body's weight, usually by attaching weights to the torso or legs. A successful hanging takes a skilled person to set it up, and for centuries, even through the 1950's, there were prized and very well know and respected hangmen in England, who would travel about to exercise their 'craft' as needed, and were well paid to do so.

Of course sometimes, the goal is NOT a quick, merciful death but a tortuous one. In those cases, the victim is not dropped very far at all, and even occasionally only lifted by the noose until his / her feet are just off the ground, at which point 'the dance' begins. It is believed this very thing happened after the Nuremberg trials in Germany in 1946 because many of those hanged were strangled, with reports claiming it took some of them up to 28 minutes to die.

And as a no- cost extra in this thread about nothing, the past tense of 'hang' varies depending on exactly what was..... hung or hanged. The rule is this: if it is an inanimate object, then it is 'hung'. But for any animate (read: living) thing, the word is 'hanged'. Which of course clearly shows that no one can be 'hung like a horse', including an actual horse, who would actually be 'hanged like a horse'..... though probably not fillies or mares.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2901 on: December 18, 2017, 10:58:07 AM »
Cheerful subject for this time of year Brian!  ;)

I thought the thing regarding the hangings after Nuremberg was retribution because the Nazi's were infamous for using piano wire with the tip of the toes just touching.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2902 on: December 18, 2017, 11:46:59 AM »
Yeah, my 'trivia posting calendar' is a bit off- it also has Santa references scheduled for July. Sorry.  ;)

The execution thoughts are more about the mechanics of it than the deed itself. So I kind of view the whole thing as: well, we know it is an execution and so we know it does not have a happy ending (mostly, some exceptions I think) but looking a little deeper and the mechanics are interesting, at least to me.

As far as the Nuremberg hangings being retribution, I do not think that is really known. What is known is that two American G.I. enlisted men did them and they simply were not hangmen so.... we kinda' had unskilled labor doing a skilled- labor task. Some of the people hanged after the war in Germany were done by British hangmen and it was done correctly; we tend to think of the Nuremberg trials as an individual thing but they were actually a series of trials and punishments that went on for nearly two years (the punishments far longer, with Rudolph Hess serving a life sentence in Spandau prison from 1947 until he died in 1987, and he was the only prisoner there for some years at the end, and the prison was closed after he died). Some of the others were 'The Doctor's Trials', 'The Judges Trials' and so forth.

Brian

Cheerful subject for this time of year Brian!  ;)

I thought the thing regarding the hangings after Nuremberg was retribution because the Nazi's were infamous for using piano wire with the tip of the toes just touching.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2903 on: December 18, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »
Yeah, my 'trivia posting calendar' is a bit off- it also has Santa references scheduled for July. Sorry.  ;)

The execution thoughts are more about the mechanics of it than the deed (EASY, BOYS) itself. So I kind of view the whole thing as: well, we know it is an execution and so we know it does not have a happy ending (EASY, BOYS) (mostly, some exceptions I think) but looking a little deeper (EASY, BOYS) and the mechanics are interesting, at least to me.

As far as the Nuremberg hangings (EASY, BOYS) being retribution, I do not think that is really known.

What is known is that two American G.I. enlisted men did them and they simply were not hangmen so.... we kinda' had unskilled labor doing a skilled- labor task. Some of the people hanged after the war in Germany were done by British hangmen and it was done correctly; ...

Oh I dunno, as long as those deserving to die did indeed end up dead, I'd call it good.

ps Also note 'easy, boys' edits above. Some are a bit of a stretch. (EASY, BOYS)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2904 on: December 18, 2017, 03:24:58 PM »
Yeah, see you over- used the Easy Boys!. That ruins it and removes all the humor.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

'Nothing exceeds like excess'
-Unknown

Brian

Oh I dunno, as long as those deserving to die did indeed end up dead, I'd call it good.

ps Also note 'easy, boys' edits above. Some are a bit of a stretch. (EASY, BOYS)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2905 on: December 18, 2017, 03:49:44 PM »
OK, some of you wusses are not happy with execution stories want a post about nothing at all suitable for the holiday season? Fine, try this one on:

As the story goes: Once upon a time, there was a 'starving' young entertainer named Amos Muzyad Yakhoob Kairouz who was about to give up show business because he could not support himself in that field. But he was a very pious, very religious man and before giving up, he prayed to the patron saint of lost causes for the ability to make a living (and only a living, not wealth) in the entertainment field and vowed that if he was successful, he would build a shrine to that patron saint.

Well, it turns out that Mr. Kairouz found work immediately after 'cutting the deal' and actually became more than able to support himself and his family finding great success in the entertainment industry. At about the same time, radio was giving way to TV and that is where Mr. Kairouz found even greater success, eventually making him a wealthy man. But he never forgot his vow, and after gaining success, he embarked with his wife on a journey to both gain funds as well as other, wealthy supporters to found that shrine he had promised. And he named it after the patron saint of lost causes, St. Jude, and it became St. Jude Children's Hospital. He fervently believed “no child should die in the dawn of life.” and spent a great deal of his own money, as well as vast amounts of time and effort to found and then support St. Jude's Children's Hospital, which thrives to this day.

You may know him better by his stage name, Danny Thomas. And yes, his daughter is Marlo Thomas, and has carried on the work her father started, spending a great deal of her time supporting and promoting that institution.

I hope everyone enjoys this heart- warming story 'cause tomorrow I am thinking about a post describing a horse's trip through the knackers! With extra emphasis on where the good strop material comes from.

:-)

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2906 on: December 18, 2017, 03:56:53 PM »
I received several notices from different vendors that today is the LAST day that those in California can order ammunition for direct delivery. After 1 Jan 2018, California will have the US's most stringent laws on the purchase, storage, and accumulation of firearm ammunition in the country. All ammunition must be purchased through a licensed dealer, a background check performed for all purchases of ammunition and quantities limited.

My sympathies. You CA folks got some nice weather, and some truly magnificent real estate, capable of growing so much fruit, produce and some other things but man, that liberal curtain is getting close to the floor and normal life is going to become more and more difficult.

Brian (who used to have a number of pistols that were in cases had a gigantic label 'Not legal for sale in the state of California' but unfortunately, they were lost in a horrible boating accident.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2907 on: December 18, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »
I received several notices from different vendors that today is the LAST day that those in California can order ammunition for direct delivery. After 1 Jan 2018, California will have the US's most stringent laws on the purchase, storage, and accumulation of firearm ammunition in the country. All ammunition must be purchased through a licensed dealer, a background check performed for all purchases of ammunition and quantities limited.

Which will GREATLY inconvenience the normal, good people and have almost zero effect on the bad people.  Typical USA "gun control" measures- driven by emotions and not logic/fact/reason.   ::)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2908 on: December 18, 2017, 04:48:03 PM »
Chicago is trying to out Kalifonia kalifornia by inviting the U.N. to help stop the so-called 'gun' violence in one of the most gun controlled  cities in the country.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/27597-chicago-politician-requests-child-raping-un-troops-in-america

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2909 on: December 18, 2017, 05:20:48 PM »
Unbelievable
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2910 on: December 18, 2017, 05:20:58 PM »
Yeah, see you over- used the Easy Boys!. That ruins it and removes all the humor.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

'Nothing exceeds like excess'
-Unknown

Brian

Well, I'm not funny until I'm drunk, and even then it might very well be only me who thinks so. I was totally sober when I liberally dispersed those EASY, BOYS.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2911 on: December 18, 2017, 06:07:15 PM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2912 on: December 19, 2017, 04:16:23 AM »
Chicago is trying to out Kalifonia kalifornia by inviting the U.N. to help stop the so-called 'gun' violence in one of the most gun controlled  cities in the country.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/27597-chicago-politician-requests-child-raping-un-troops-in-america

Holy ****! Boykin is a moron!    >:(
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2913 on: December 19, 2017, 04:22:15 AM »
I figure he wants to run for mayor.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2914 on: December 19, 2017, 05:15:53 AM »
Yep, the usual two effects of 'gun control'. It only hampers law- abiding people while criminals simply do not care what the rules are, how many there are, or how severe the punishment.

Right now, we have a bill working its way through Congress for all- states to recognize all other states' carry permits. Some believe this will greatly increase gun crime. But if anyone, no matter his / her political leanings, stops and thinks about this for a few minutes, how can that possibly be the case? Is a gang- banger from the south side of Chicago really going to go to, say, Virginia, get a carry permit, and then use it in Chicago (Illinois)? Really? Of course not- that gang member will carry a firearm no matter what the penalties and under no circumstances is going to actually LEGALLY APPLY anywhere at all for a CARRY PERMIT!

In fact, isolating groups, CCP holders are some of the least likely people to even become involved in any type of firearm incident, never mind actual commit a crime.

So this ammunition law in CA will have the usual effects; no impact on criminals but a royal PITA for honest, legal firearms users. Other than of course making criminals out of those who refuse to bend to such nonsense and cross the state line to buy a case of ammunition at the correct (read: not ridiculously inflated by restrictions) price and then drive it home.

Brian

Which will GREATLY inconvenience the normal, good people and have almost zero effect on the bad people.  Typical USA "gun control" measures- driven by emotions and not logic/fact/reason.   ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2915 on: December 19, 2017, 05:41:14 AM »
I'm thinking that 99.9% of individuals concerned enough to get permits are not the ones we need to worry about.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2916 on: December 19, 2017, 09:49:12 AM »
Yep. The simple fact is that criminals, even those not yet criminals but thinking in that direction, do NOT want to walk into any LEO office, get fingerprinted, photographed ('mug shot') and background- checked, because all that will come back and bite them on the butt if and when they are accused of committing a crime.

But this is not really a matter where we have to form opinions; statistics speak for themselves. As a group, those who have applied and been cleared to carry a concealed firearm are at the very lowest statistical levels of any group committing criminal activity OR having any negative incidents involving a firearm.

Brian

I'm thinking that 99.9% of individuals concerned enough to get permits are not the ones we need to worry about.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2917 on: December 19, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »
All members of the 'cat' (genus 'Felis') are almost amazingly similar; the 10 lb. domestic cat walking around in a huge number of homes shares a lot of characteristics and behaviors with the entire cat family, even up to and including the largest African and Asian cats (Siberian Tiger being the biggest member of the cat family).

There is one distinction that separates them into one of two groups though, purring or 'singing' and roaring. All members of the cat family can do one or the other, while NO member of the cat family can do both. And the dividing point is generally based on the size of the cat; those below around 200 lbs. can all sing, while those above that weight can roar.

So the next time running across the path of a cat, consider its size before scratching it affectionately in an effort to hear it sing: a domestic can, a Ocelot and a King Cheetah, absolutely, stroke away (Easy Boys!) and you may just get a song in return. A lion or tiger, forget it- they cannot do that so the whole thing is pointless.

Brian

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2918 on: December 19, 2017, 02:56:42 PM »
Yep. The simple fact is that criminals, even those not yet criminals but thinking in that direction, do NOT want to walk into any LEO office, get fingerprinted, photographed ('mug shot') and background- checked

FYI:  In Virginia (I assume it is the same across the whole state), you do not need to go to an LEO office, you are certainly not fingerprinted (which would be VERY unacceptable), nor are you photographed (they already have that anyway with drivers license/ID).   You have to fill out a notarized form, enclose payment, and mail to the court clerk.  They perform the necessary background check and mail back the license.  Why it is only good for 5 years, I have no idea.  If you commit a felony the next day, it is automatically revoked, so what is the point of "renewals"?

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2919 on: December 19, 2017, 03:13:47 PM »
Observation about pretty much nothing at all: One member on here, I won't state who but OK it's BDF, seems to be the only member who places his response above the quote he's responding to. This is backwards flow to me, and probably everybody else who posts their response below the quoted part. i.e. I have to scroll to the bottom to see what you're responding to. And since these replies are often quite lengthy, well, my scroll wheel finger gets tired. I suppose I could switch off and scroll with my bird finger for a while.

:P