Author Topic: Considering a C14 in Indiana  (Read 2621 times)

Offline blue72beetle

Considering a C14 in Indiana
« on: June 26, 2018, 06:14:32 AM »
Hello, I'm from Northeast Indiana, home of boring flat straight roads.
I currently have a 2006 V-Strom 650 and a 2016 GSXS-1000F.
The GSXS is my fun bike and the V-Strom is my 2 up bike for my girlfriend and myself. We've taken it to both coasts, and it's got over 60,000 miles, over half of which I put on. During a recent trip which was mostly high speed interstate, I just wasn't enjoying the bike. When it's just myself on the bike I really don't mind it, but when it's the both of us I'd rather have something 'better'. I know V-Stroms aren't the best for high speed riding, so I've been thinking about upgrading to something which would perform better for the both of us. For the longest time I was planning on just getting a new V-Strom 1000 but I'm starting to think it would just be more of the same thing but with more power.
A friend of mine has a 2008 C14 and I like it. I like how it seems to have better wind penetration, the COG appears to be a lot lower, and of course it isn't lacking for power. And it looks like the earlier bikes are very affordable, which is a plus. Although I do like the green of the 2015 models.
Does the C14 sound like the right bike for me (us)?

Offline connie_rider

Re: Considering a C14 in Indiana
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 08:30:08 AM »
blue72beetle, your asking a Concours Group if we think a Concours is a good bike? {Is this a trick question}?  :o

I'll try to be objective......
Looking at your bikes, you've basically built 2 smaller Sport Tourers, you enjoy traveling 2 up, and want more grunt/comfort/wind protection...

A C-14 will give you more Comfort, wind protection, and more grunt than your current bikes.
 Additionally, it's made to do long rides and has lots of ability for playing in the twisties.

So, YES,,, I feel that a Concours will fit your needs perfectly.

"Do it"!!!
        Then, come ride with us..

PS: The next question is; which bike will you be keeping and which will you sell?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline blue72beetle

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 10:33:26 AM »
Definitely keeping the GSXS, that is my fun go-fast me only bike.
I'd probably keep the V-Strom too, with over 60,000 miles it's not worth anything anyway. But I could see myself not riding it much. Maybe if I plan on riding a lot of dirt roads.

Also considering an ST1300. Although it seems to be taller. And kinda... boring. But I have a V-Strom, so I'm familiar with boring.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 08:06:45 AM »
Definitely keeping the GSXS, that is my fun go-fast me only bike.
I'd probably keep the V-Strom too, with over 60,000 miles it's not worth anything anyway. But I could see myself not riding it much. Maybe if I plan on riding a lot of dirt roads.

Also considering an ST1300. Although it seems to be taller. And kinda... boring. But I have a V-Strom, so I'm familiar with boring.

After 9 years and 80,000 trouble free miles, all that went south so far is a headlite bulb-this C-14 cruise missile is bulletproof. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned including cars over 50 years- 'nuff said.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 04:13:18 PM »
Welcome aboard! Congrats on the new Connie!

Yeah... I know... you don’t have one yet, but if you are here, we both know it is going to happen.

Keep the v-strom. You may not ride it as much, but you will find a use for it and will enjoy it more 1-Up on those dirt roads. The GSXS may be your fun bike now, but I have a feeling you are about to find yourself having 2 fun bikes and a difficult time deciding which one to ride. You can never have too many bikes in the stable tho. Always good to have options when you decide to go for a ride. When the mod bug bites, it is also good to have a bike that you can ride while working on, or waiting on parts for the other.  :thumbs:

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 08:03:04 PM »
From the sounds of it the best part of the deal is the back end.  She will like the extra room and you will like the ease of riding and power over the road. I am down in Muncie with a son at Purdue Ft Wayne. My oldest graduated Ohio so I got to do the Hocking Hills for years. This one is gonna be closer but the road from Redkey to Pennville and Ossian is not exactly ....exciting. Still anytime I can get Connie out it is a good day. So smooth and effortless.

I had a 2008 that I loved. 90K miles but it got destroyed by an idjut pulling out in front of me the ONE TIME I took it on US 35 from Muncie TO Richmond. Got a new one as soon as both legs got unbroke. 37K on this one. There are lots of opinions on the 08s with heat and such but I never had a problem. If you got one on the line at a great price and know the owner go for it. You will not be sorry. Leaves more money for the Seth Laam seat and a few farkles. If he has had it and took care of it he probably has some of the more essential goodies on it anyway.

If you get it let me know. I will ride with you. Got a couple other 08s up that way and a some 2nd gens across the line to the north.

2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline blue72beetle

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 03:41:45 PM »
I ended up with a 2010. I'm happy with it. Planning on taking it down the BRP and visiting the Dragon soon.

You don't happen to have a stock muffler lying around do you? This one is dented up from a previous owner dropping it.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 04:42:59 PM »
Congrats on the new ride!  Funny thing about dents - you can't see them while riding.  As for the muffler I bet it doesn't sound dented.

Have fun!

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 07:35:11 AM »
I ended up with a 2010. I'm happy with it. Planning on taking it down the BRP and visiting the Dragon soon.

You don't happen to have a stock muffler lying around do you? This one is dented up from a previous owner dropping it.

that is a good question. I will go down to the barn and look. I know I took it off. Not sure if where it went from there . My wife says I "keep everything" so there is a good chance it is down there but I will have to take this week and check. Went down to VA last week Not sure what route you'll take. I went through Hocking Hill via US33. Not real fond of slab so i took US 50 out of Athens going east. Gimme a week to look for the original.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 09:22:52 AM »
 I have a muffler you can have. I know they can not be sold.  So free is a great option.  I live about 2 hours from Chicago.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 08:38:13 AM »
That's a good looking machine....
Have you considered buying a slip-on for it?

Delkevic makes one that is reasonably priced, comes in several styles, and looks good.
Many are using one.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 11:19:08 PM »

When you make it out to the BRP, let me know. I’m less than 2 hours from the beginning of it in VA.

If you can make it to Maggie Valley the week of Oct 8th, I’ll be there. There is a Spyder Ralley going on the end of that week that my wife and I are going down for. I’ll be on my Concours that week. Let me know if you can make it.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike